Deposit for a private purchase? who holds it

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

We have been offered a cheap studio appt from a cousin? of a new work colleague,

However someone mentioned in the office he has done this before but gets cold feet,

Not wishing to think we have sorted something and start proceeding, removals etc only to fly out to sign and then be left standing there i think a deposit would be a good idea?

As there is no agent who generally holds it?

whats the chances of actually getting double if they pull out? as its all going to have to happen quickly we would have spent money.

i guess however that if the legals arent all in place i can get my deposit back as its and apartment in a block that is Freehold?

thanks for any adivce

Like 0      
12 Feb 2010 1:48 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

In my opinion, a deposit is more for the benefit of the seller, in case the buyer changes his/her mind. If you are concerned that the seller may change his mind, surely it would be better to not pay him any deposit? If he backs out, forget about getting double the deposit off him - just worry about getting anything back. If you really feel it's best to secure the deal with a deposit, I strongly suggest having a (Spanish) lawyer draw up a private contract for both parties to sign, and that the lawyer holds the deposit pending completion. At least that way you should get it back if anything goes wrong. You are going to need a lawyer anyway, to carry out the necessary checks.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Feb 2010 6:10 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Where is the studio apartment located?

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 12/02/2010.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Feb 2010 1:04 PM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Maria,

Have pm'd u. Its Rocamar

Thks Roberto. sound advice. I agree fully about the lawyer and if we proceed would be happy to hand a deposit to mine just wanted to understand that it could be held with my notary? and that if im out of pocket by them pulling out i am not left short.

Treading carefully at present........

Like 0      
12 Feb 2010 1:51 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The lawyer of the vendor ?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Feb 2010 5:34 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Good point Maria. Manyarna, make sure you use your own lawyer, not the same one as the seller, or one recommended by him. I doubt if the notary will agree to hold the deposit; he is of course a neutral party, but I don't think he will get involved in such details of the deal.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Feb 2010 6:16 PM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Sorry i meant my Lawyer not Notary,

Get confused with Notarys/Lawyers etc as in France they do it all.

I would only offer a deposit and private contract if the deposit could be held by my lawyer. ( Am hoping if we can get things going to use Maria ) As you said Roberto earlier "getting anything back would be a bonus" and thats not  a road i want to go down as loosing the property is bad enough.

i will have to wait patiently to see what they suggest as i am also waiting for some basic answers before incuring to many costs. Hopefully i may get some feedback on the area in another thread i started...

At least the weekends here and its Full of Six nations Rugby...........and hopefully Pompey winning something...

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

So I have bought my Euro Millions ticket for this friday..... - 4 posts
La Linea? the good the bad and the Ugly? Wots it really like - 7 posts
Hacienda Riquelme - Full Furnishing Required - 0 posts
Any tips/recommendations for travelling on train from Barcelona to Alicante - 3 posts
Free English Premier League football on Spanish TV - 4 posts
Hi I'm Maureen - Bought apartment in Torrievieja - 5 posts
Dacion el pago - handing back the keys - 8 posts
Hi there...I´m new here :-) - 5 posts
Speeding Fine - Please help - 3 posts
Switching your keyboard from English to Spanish - 9 posts
Car Hire, Malaga Airport. - 13 posts
Hertz Car Hire - 6 posts
Great Builder found in Benalmadena !! - 6 posts
ALMERIA AIRPORT - 9 posts
Time For Money To Be Released By Courts - 3 posts
Free wifi in Estepona area? - 2 posts
residents certificate for 94 year old - 3 posts
Animal lovers - 3 posts
Okay, so what's the best way to ask for Beer??? - 46 posts
Ryanair's latest cost cutting?? - 6 posts
Granting of Habertation Certificate - 4 posts
Malaga Airport (AGP) T3 Official Opening - 4 posts
proposed roue railway San Pedro to Estepona - 0 posts
work - 0 posts
Aluminium Box Trailer with secure lid for sale - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x