Disturbing video!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

I was sent this link from a relation in USA.

Bearing in mind the effect that sun has on tyres here, I think it very important to take the information on board!!

My car is six years old and the spare has never been used.

I am booked in tomorrow to have four new tyres fitted and was going to have the spare brought into service. Now, I am not so sure?

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

pilgrim

Like 0      
04 Feb 2010 10:06 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

If your car is six years old, the chances are (despite what car you have) the spare is only a "space saver" type of tyre.  This type allows a maximum speed of 50 mph and would only last you a short journey of approx 30 miles and then to be discarded - not to be used again.  Incidentally, did you read the code (as shown on the video) to establish the age of your tyres, and will you check the code before purchasing your new tyres?

Like 0      
04 Feb 2010 10:47 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I am always a bit paranoid when it comes to tyres, seeing as they are you're only contact with the road. 

That's why I never buy cheap imports.  It's worth paying the extra for a decent tyre.

Aged tyres are a problem and most people forget to check.  In fact, I got a puncture recently and put the space saver spare on and, on a two year old car, the spare was a little flat!  So it's probably good to check now and then to make sure the spare is still pumped up properly.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Feb 2010 9:43 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

That clip was worrying! It's bad enough having a blow out in a car, but look at the amount of trucks on our roads in both UK and Spain. This should form part of the MOT or TUV inspection. Now I know why there is so much tyre debri littering our motorways. Thank Pilgrim for this posting.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2010 7:28 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

jimbofinn,

yes, I checked my tyres. They were manufactured in 5003. (fiftieth week in 2003 and the code was on the outside). I bought the car new in March 2004, so that all checks out fine.

However, when I get to the tyre company this morning, I will ask "que años el neumaticos, por favor?"

If they decline to tell me or let me see for myself, they will have lost a sale!

It appears that allegedly, most Spanish tyre fitters poo-poo all that "basura".

I will report back!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
05 Feb 2010 8:10 AM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Hi all,

If you want to receive some honest advice about your tyre tread, wear, tear and perishability due to the sun, please contact Steve at www.Tyres-2-u.com.  He has been based on the CDS for three years and can offer you all the information you need about current legislations for your tyres.  They are the most important item on your car!! +34676186499

Hope this helps!

Sam

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
05 Feb 2010 2:11 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

OK! Went to the tyre company this morning. Apprehensively asked if I could view the new tyres to check their age?

"Of course, ningun problema". The date code said 4009. Shangrila!! That means it was manufactured in the fortieth week  (October) of 2009.

The other three tyres were identical.

Very pleased with the service and efficiency of the company.

I have heard that some ITV inspection facilities take a note of the tyre codes and refuse to pass vehicles with tyres over six years old. This is only hearsay, so may be incorrect?

pilgrim

Like 0      
07 Feb 2010 5:49 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

By the way, Jimbofinn,

my spare is a normal tyre, encased and stored on the back door of the RAV4.

It should have rotated periodically and brought into service but I did not do that, with no detrimental effect, to my knowledge.

pilgrim

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NIE certificate - 4 posts
General Elections In Spain - 2 posts
Contacts - 0 posts
Valencia Formula 1 testing underway - 0 posts
letsinthesun - 2 posts
Business Network Group opening new Group on Thursday 4th Feb, Nueva Andalucia - 0 posts
Flights to Reus - 2 posts
TV recommendations - 2 posts
caja murcia mortgage rates - 2 posts
Property Completed. Hab Cert granted BUT still waiting. - 30 posts
All sound? - 3 posts
Utility areas - 0 posts
Hard to understand. - 4 posts
Disconnection of water supply by the Builder - 2 posts
Shower showrooms Fuengirolla - 1 posts
HD Freeview Box - 2 posts
New (currently free) rental site, they even fill out the details for you!! - 6 posts
polarisworld developers website is down - 0 posts
bedding shops - 2 posts
Spanish Bank Charges - 21 posts
Road tax in Spain - 4 posts
Bed Shops in Bendirom - 0 posts
Pedreguer - Car boot sale - 0 posts
i want to sell nearly new clothes how? - 5 posts
Hola - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x