Lawyer taking money doing nothing

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by yerweepal Star rating in Scotland. 3 posts Send private message

I was "represented", by aldea advisors, now gone bump, then, as recommended by an acquantance I went to costaluz lawyers, as I could prove due to ill health in the family I couldnt get a mortgage in england / spain, but after costa luz had my initial payment of 1500 euroes, and being passed from maria, then patricia, then "chriss", WHO i HAD NEVER HEARD OF, or dealt with, I simply asked "what have you done for the 1500 euroes thus far?, especially as I had to phone the firm first just to get a "telephone appointment", ( one of which just gave me the engaged tone) before we then were asked to pay a further 3,500 euroes that they wanted to represent us further, ?" I thought, what have you done so far? was a reasonable request?, patricia emailed to say "she could not inform me of this", !!!!, well we cant afford another 3,500 euroes just to phone for a telephone appointment with no advice regarding our chances of win or lose again, maybe costa luz will take offence at this post, but I can assure you this post is 100% honest and true, just wished all folk were, I wouldnt like to hear of honest hard working folk being seen off any more, I personally had to graft down a coalmine for my money, yours suicidal sam

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 25/01/2010.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 3:09 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Hi,

Welcome to EOS.

Unfortunately, I cannot read your post fully as it appears to run off the page. Also your punctuation is such that much of your post does not make sense.

I was going to PM you and advise you to edit and repost it. As you have not yet made sufficient posts to be able to use that facility I was unable to do this  (so saving you any potential embarrassment).

I suggest that you do repost your query/rant and maybe someone will be able to help you.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 3:29 PM by beadso Star rating. 128 posts Send private message

patronising or what?

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 4:34 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

I agree it is patronizing, in my view if you can't say something nice OR constructive without insulting new members then don't bother! Go and have a FAG!!!!

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 5:01 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Yerweepal

I am very sorry to hear of your predicament.

In Spain at the moment and indeed for the last 12-18 months we have seen a lot of ambulance chasing as lawyer firms move from conveyancing into litigation, promising to recover deposits, call in bank/insurance guarantees, rescind contracts and I can tell you some of these firms are making a lot of money out of victims like you. Few would-be buyers have actually come out on top in terms of winning and recovering the money they were initially chasing etc.

You should have received a clear letter of engagement at the outset setting out how far your initial retainer would get you and in a good or bad scenario how much any course of action might cost and of course you should have been kept informed.

I hope as a result of this forum post you get an explanation of what has happened and why you are now being asked for more money if you were not advised this was likely at the outset.

I suggest you make a formal written complaint to the firm and if no satisfactory explanation is received then file a complaint with the appropriate colegio de abogados.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 5:42 PM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

thank you for the last three posts folks, its greatly apreciated xx, to explain to sandra, my email was posted on a different forum initially, and because they didnt run secrtetarial courses down the coalmine where I worked,   I, unfortunately, am not too good on a pc, so I didnt know how to "paste and post to another forum", but as ive found a decent,  fellow working class chap from scotland, he kindly offered to  help in doing this for me, but, as he also was a manual worker, he doesnt deserve derisive remarks for his lack of computer knowledge, and I would like to thank my "wee pal" for this publicly, yours none too sincerely, stokey

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 5:42 PM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

sandra, OUCH!!,    but many thanks for the last three posts folks, its greatly apreciated xx, to explain to sandra, my email was posted on a different forum initially, and because they didnt run secrtetarial courses down the coalmine where I worked,   I, unfortunately, am not too good on a pc, so I didnt know how to "paste and post to another forum", but as ive found a decent,  fellow working class chap, from scotland, he kindly offered to  help in doing this for me, but, as he also was a manual worker, he doesnt deserve derisive remarks for his lack of computer knowledge either, and I would like to thank my "wee pal" for this publicly, xx ,   "pick your wreckage up",  sandra, because I believe you have just been "shot down" , going by the three decent people who have recently posted  since your comments,

This message was last edited by stokey on 25/01/2010.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 5:44 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Thanks Justin, for sorting out the post. 

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 5:54 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

OOooops!!

I genuinely thought the poster had, frustratedly, posted in a hurry or in a temper and was the reason for the hap-hazard punctuation etc.,.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 6:11 PM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

hey sandra, no worries mate, im frightened of women, so we dont mind if an apology isnt forthcoming?  , so  no grudges, emails can always be misunderstood thats why I like the old fashioned way of talking face to face, or on the phone, yours sam x

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 11:18 PM by CliveHornsby Star rating in Cheshire, UK. 4 posts Send private message

CliveHornsby´s avatar

I am with CostaLuz Lawyers which I decided to use as Justin (Owner of this site) and the Forums are very positive about their service and the results they have obtained.

They got the developer off my back and we are currently progressing through court, but the road is long as I am 18 months in, with about 12 months to go on present estimates.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 11:42 PM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

clive ive emailed maria at costaluz I will report on this forum when she has accepted my telephone appointment request to discuss mine and many others concerns, just wondering on this webpage how do you edit or delete previous posts if you are not the last one on it , as ive soon noticed im not alone in making" the odd phoo par",

This message was last edited by stokey on 26/01/2010.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 11:55 PM by CliveHornsby Star rating in Cheshire, UK. 4 posts Send private message

CliveHornsby´s avatar

They do provide me with monthly updates, but the courts are full of people looking for refunds so there is a backlog of cases. Most of the time I get a response in a day or two from emails which is their preferred option and they do put everything in writing.

I spoke with 3 different lawyers before opting to go with Maria and CostaLuz and they were all charging about the same amount in fees, so it is the going rate unfortunately.

One thing for sure I will never be listening to the many experts again, I should have paid off the mortgage instead.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2010 11:55 PM by CliveHornsby Star rating in Cheshire, UK. 4 posts Send private message

CliveHornsby´s avatar

Anyone seen the delete button for when you post twice by mistake!

This message was last edited by CliveHornsby on 25/01/2010.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2010 12:07 AM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

clive, I cant see the edit button if you want to ammend or remove a previous post either

Like 0      
26 Jan 2010 12:50 AM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Clive and Sam,

You cannot edit a post AFTER someone has replied to it.

This prevents people making inflammatory posts and then, once a number of people have replied, deleting it and rendering the whole thread unintelligible. Therefore it is best to carefully check over any replies you make and edit them BEFORE you press the 'Post reply' button.

If you press the 'reply' button twice or more by mistake and send multiple replies, and you immediately realise it, then you can edit the last duplication only.

You cannot delete the whole reply 'box', only it's content.

Like Clive, I too am with Costaluz. I was sent a copy of their 'Terms and Conditions' BEFORE  I paid them any money. Then I sent about 1.5K euros for them to start putting the case together and the next amounts were to pay for the Preliminary Hearing (PH)  and the court fees. 

They have a (newish) system whereby they contact you by email every three months with a statement of the progression of your case. You need to download it to your computer in order to read it as it comes in 'pdf' format and appears as an attachment in their  email to you.

I initially contacted them in June 2008 and my PH was in October 2009. As Clive states, there is a backlog of cases clogging up the Spanish courts and, depending on the  nature of your action, it can take years.   

Good luck to you both. 

Like 0      
26 Jan 2010 6:26 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

We are welcome to admitt criticism on our services and available to all explanations. I need to add that every explanation needs someone who is willing to understand at the other side.

First thing we do when we are dealing with a new client is to send a General Information document and a budget of legal costs where everything related to both the work procedure and the costs is explained from the very beginning, as much as we can.

When people ask for copies of our writings, we  need to deny the petition as it is part of the know-how of the  company and the litigation company. Of course the content of the writings is always explained and a copy of the head, signature and acknowledgment of reception by counterparty is also available too for those who ask.

Litigation department´s and Court´s  workload are realities which influence the timing of the case, but of course, clients rights are always covered in the meantime. And we are presistently trying to improve the services and the timing involved, to the extent that is within our hands´reach.

Anyhow, please send your claims and complaints to us as we will bery happy to look at them and process them as much as we can. Sometimes, clients wishes and petitions cannot be satisfied, that is part of the limits of every human activity, but we always take them into account and try to bring solutions near to their petitions.

Sam... please let me know who you are when we talk on the phone as I cannot recognise you right now.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Jan 2010 11:09 PM by stokey Star rating. 74 posts Send private message

maria I have sent you private emails to request a telephone appointment, with no reply, so could I please talk to you to remind you of who I am ,rather than me speaking to patricia, chriss or whoever further down the line please, as you are a spanish person who I hope still believes in family values, please read my private emails for a moment before you tell me when is convenient for you, that I can be allowed to call you,and I did ask what your company did for the 1500euroes when united golf didnt even know you were representing me, so maybe your company hadnt even contacted them, perhaps you would not know you had not ?  , I hope you can now find my file ,ps sandra for families like ours, and im sure others are in also a desperate situation your little" funny picture" and sarcasm over folks intelligence are not welcome, im sorry folks for this rant/ post, but  this is serious business? , sorry for any spelling errors,ive picked a bad day to stop smoking I guess? yours m s hewitt (sam)

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 12:17 AM by beadso Star rating. 128 posts Send private message

27 Jan 2010 7:15 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Thanks Mr. Hewitt. Now with your last name I can recognise you. I was actually talking about your file with Patricia yesterday and she is not aware of you being unsatisfied. There must be an error. 

Also I am not aware of any PM of you requesting a phone appointment.  Are you receiving last emails from Patricia?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Kiss Flights from Glasgow to Spain - 2 posts
from dole to self employed heard there was a way? - 3 posts
long term rental - 0 posts
On line presentation of modelo 210 through the aeat website - 0 posts
water ski, golf, property to develop - 1 posts
Need to buy a new portable gas fire - Almeria - 6 posts
Astronomical Endesa Bill for Dec-Jan 2010 - 11 posts
eXCERCISE BIKE WANTED - 0 posts
Banco Halifax login problems - 3 posts
Any rules on buying a spanish car if a non resident? - 6 posts
Wanted Long Term Rental in Turre - 0 posts
how do i get bbc/itv in mar menor - 6 posts
new bar at lo crispin - 4 posts
i dont know spanish.. can soeone tell me what song this is? - 5 posts
Distance to build - 0 posts
New to Eye on Spain - 10 posts
Abandoned puppies - 0 posts
Illegal licences - 0 posts
Any way of getting a MOT in spain, or equivalent. - 43 posts
beware of trying to get out of a mess in spain - 2 posts
Zapatero gets a bashing over demolitions - 25 posts
helpme find plumber/bathroom designer DAVID ORTON was UK based - 7 posts
new to forum about to conclude jardines - 11 posts
Suing agent who sold the property? - 1 posts
PROPERTY NEEDED UNDER 120k - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 55

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x