I can not be bothered with EOS anymore !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by MAGICMEG Star rating in Scotland. 546 posts Send private message

I can not help thinking that EOS has become a place for the desperate to hold on to what used to be , rather than a forum for real  and relevant discussion pertinent to what is happening NOW !!  People are scared to say what they really think . Sad but unfortunately true  ! Spain has now changed for ever .  Can EOS move with the times  ? I hope it can !

Nothing surprises me anymore  

but I am willing to accept that sometimes (although not very often ) I can be  wrong !

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 12:16 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I'm sorry you feel like that about EOS, I love it and have done for the last three years, hope they go from strength to strength.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 8:07 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

After checking my emails, every day, without fail, I go to EOS to read current updates and any new threads, plus add my response, if and when I think it would be productive and/or helpful!!

For me, it is a very important site, which has provided me with sometimes very pertinent information!

Long may it reign!!

Bye magicmeg. Take care.

pilgrim

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 9:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Spain is something near a chaos right now, but we have material for a brilliant future. I am completely sure about that. Risponsable politicians are needed.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 10:04 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

Afraid I have to agree with Magicmeg the forum is not what it used to be. The banter was great with Rixxy, Smiley etc, etc and a lot of great information given into the bargain. It just seems to have gone flat.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 10:28 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Signs of the times I'm afraid.  The dream imploded badly for many people and as such the fun of Spain has been sucked out of many people.

The way the forum is simply reflects current attitudes and feelings.   

And finally, you are also not forced to use this site and the forum.  If you don't like it there are many other Spain forums you may want to try instead.  We have around 10,000 people use the site every day and if you are not happy then maybe this site is just not for you.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 10:28 AM by slacey99 Star rating in Dorset and Duquesa w.... 276 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
slacey99´s avatar

No doubt there will be highs and lows like most things.  I still think its great and long may it continue.

In the end it is down to us.  The more we put in the more we will get out of it.

Steve

www.duquesa-village.com

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 10:31 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

tinto

I  think Maria is on the right track when she says 'responsible politicians are needed'  I don't think the forum can help going a bit flat when as Meg says 'Spain has changed forever'  If all the bad things in Spain at the moment are talked about, which I feel they have to be to keep it real, then yes, it paints a pretty grim picture and that mood is bound to be reflected in an honest forum. The alternative is a 'happy clappy' forum aimed at those who are happy with their lot, and are too damned selfish to acknolwedge the fact that so many people have been wronged, and need the support of everyone, not least the Spanish politicians!!!. I feel the mood of the forum will change when the time is right, and those in a position to make the changes required for Spains recovery start really taking action that brings justice and common sense.

Again, as Maria said ' Spain has the material for a brilliant future'  and why not?, if it can only get to grips with what has caused the downfall and make it clear it intends to change.

I read yesterday on another foum that the Priors case still hasn't been resolved after 3 years, They are still living in their garage with no proper services. Just one injustice, but what message is it sending out about Spains intention to put their house in order???

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 10:51 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Agree with Justin

EOS is a very useful site for those who are interested in buying in Spain or just being in Spain

We can all learn a lot from the various threads and posts-I certainly have which will help me when I move into my new winter home near Huercal Overa in January 2010

There are still a lot of people from UK and elsewhere who are still wanting a life style change in Spain, either a holiday home or part/full time and EOS plays a role in helping people to achieve this

There are also many, but not the majority, who have had serious problems but Spain is not alone in this-just wait and see what will happen to the buyers off plan in Dubai! And there are other countries-how about Bulgaria!

Probably, because Spain is so popular and is still joint top preference for buyers from UK, it gets all the flack

A lot justified in certain cases but still a lot of very happy buyers enjoying the Spanish life style

The irregularities are being sorted albeit slowly and everyone hopes that those who have been conned, misled or wronged get compensated and I think that slowly the Spanish government both locally and nationally are starting to realise that they must put their house in order and keep it so

It is to their economic benefit to so do

I’m afraid that there are still some medium to large  developers still to go into administration but at least the Spanish Banks have avoided the worst

There are a lot of people who invested their pensions and savings in the UK banks and have been devastated by the huge loss in value…this recession is hurting in so many different ways

EOS provides a great Forum for all sides to express their views and to be kept informed and in no way has it passed its sell by date

It is probably the best Spanish Forum by a long way…..I think I will tweet that!!!     

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 11:17 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Astonishingly, have to agree completely with Rowlandsbb!!!   This is a great site for getting info about Spain, and I have to agree with a recent  thread that it is a shame that so many threads come round to discussing the same thing.    

Brian

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 11:17 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Astonishingly, have to agree completely with Rowlandsbb!!!   This is a great site for getting info about Spain, and I have to agree with a recent  thread that it is a shame that so many threads come round to discussing the same thing.    

Brian

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 11:25 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Here’s my take on it. I write for two other Spanish forums; EOS gets double the number of hits on my stuff so obviously I find that pleasing as it doubles visits to my website.  

I think we really should get back to basics. Much content, perhaps mine too, is banal. What forums and newspapers need is challenging news and views. Many of us are now too scared (yes, I am one of them) to stray into matters considered by the politically correct as ‘controversial.’

Opinionated and thought-provoking Viewpoints that were perfectly commonplace up until the 1950s are now talked about only in whispers; a bit like the old Eastern Bloc I should imagine. I remember looking forward to university rag magazines and then political correctness stepped in. All the really funny jokes about alcoholism, mothers-in-law, race stereotypes, political, gender, disability, were blue-pencilled out.

Do they still publish rag magazines? I doubt it.  They have been killed off by a society too scared to discuss challenging issues. As a consequence we are bored by banality. I bet conversation in the old East Germany was pretty boring too.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 12:00 PM by eedie Star rating in Mojacar. 17 posts Send private message

eedie´s avatar

Sexism, racism and a general right wing attitude isn't very funny,

nor is boring plagerism and lack of individuality.

Maybe whats missing is that spark of uniqueness!

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 12:37 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

sometimes one has to wade through lots of information sometimes irrelevant in order to get the information you need. As a relatively new subscriber I have found the site in the main useful. I have been able to get cheaper car hire as a result of a posting I read, made aware of a tax that I was not aware of before as well as some useful tips on saving electricty costs.

A powerful person is someone who shares information, not witholds it......... I find this site quite powerful...... as long as the useful tips keep coming

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 12:45 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Eedie's post: I rest my case!

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 12:48 PM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Hi,Sorry that people feel that the site now has little to offer them I have found it very informative.

Unfortunately some members seem to feel that the site belongs to them and instead of welcoming new posters acuse them of being underhand or irrelevant.

The site has become very narrow in its focus with every thread seeming to be interspersed by members pet subject regardless of the validity of the original subject.

Initial posters must be welcomed and made to feel that they too have a valid point of view otherwise the site will continue to be dominated by those who feel that it is their site and will not expand into areas of interest.

Not everyone who currently buys property in Spain is a fool and niether are those of us who have been robbed by the system are idiots who left their brains on the plane.

And lastly assume that new posters are genuine and welcome them rather than they must be an agent (I have nothing against agents ) some of who post invaluable information or some sort of mentally challenged individual. 

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 12:59 PM by MAGICMEG Star rating in Scotland. 546 posts Send private message

268 views and 15 replies .Objective achieved ! I am in bed with  Flu and needed something to read .Thanks to all who replied   .MM.

Nothing surprises me anymore  

but I am willing to accept that sometimes (although not very often ) I can be  wrong !

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 1:08 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Well thought out, Vilprano. In this 'liberal' age I find an almost medieval closed mindset that Galileo would recognise; George Orwell already has. 

There is a mind-numbing dependency upon the banal and mediocre; an aversion - a fear of challenging society and subjects. Of the great ironies of life you find that Labour has never known a day's work. Conservatism hasn't conserved anything of true value. Liberalism is so bigoted and censorial it would make a stormtrooper blush. Such is life.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 1:52 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

Hi to all

I don't make many posts but always look at the forum threads with interest

The site has saved me many hours in research, many hundreds of Euros and at times given reason to laugh and smile.

I accept that some of the posts are of a more banal nature, but we all have different idea's of whats important to us, so don't read what doesn't interest you.

Having said that more recently more and more "items for sale'' appear which irritates me, but again i just ignore them.

This forum is better than any on Spain and Justin and Susan need our continued support to continue this exceptional community webpage.

Well done Justin and Susan!!!

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 3:35 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I check EOS most days but rarely post................mainly because of the 'bitching' !! BUT I would noy be without the site for the world !!  Thanks to all who work in amongst it !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Problems With Skype - 11 posts
Are Newspapers Soon to be History? - 2 posts
Searching for a contact number - 0 posts
Econo-Heat - 21 posts
Problems with Car Trawler - 6 posts
Sevillana Endesa - has anyone else had a problem?? - 3 posts
Wanted - Propane Patio Heater - 3 posts
Electric hot water heater wanted - 2 posts
Christmas in Torrievieja - Nice Hotel? - 2 posts
Hi im new - 4 posts
Torre-Vieja : The Song! - 0 posts
Banks Liability Under LEY 57/68 - 46 posts
Spanish contract law - can someone clarify what consitutes a breach of contract? - 4 posts
Turkish Delight - 0 posts
Life insurance Help - 1 posts
Cheap storage facilities - 0 posts
Citroen Zsara Picasso 2.0 Diesel HD Exclusive - 3 posts
Restaurant for Christmas Day in Marbella? - 3 posts
SKY HIGH ELECTRICITY BILL - 9 posts
Looking for Estate Agents and Property Buyers for American TV show - 1 posts
Northern Soul Murcia Region - 2 posts
Table & 4 chairs - 0 posts
adopting bunny - 0 posts
rabbit adoption - 0 posts
Entertainment Only, Please - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 52

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x