Monarch Cancelling Flights - Gatwick

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Booked my flight from Gatwick to Alicante some weeks ago - Saturday to Saturday (1month apart!!) and at same time booked taxis this end and car hire Alicante end.  Just had an e-mail to say that outward flight cancelled!!  They have offered us a Sunday flight, but arrives too late to do what we want! 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 11:32 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Same happened to us this holiday we are on now with Monarch

Our return flight on 27th Nov was cancelled and they offered us a return flight on the 26th..........losing a day of sunshine, shock horror!

We rang them and changed their offer to the 28th with no problem.

Just ring them and change it to whatever you would prefer, you don't have to take what they offer.

They will not charge you.

what's worrying though is why are they cancelling these flights?

Is it because sales are down and it's not economical to do the flight, so they switch you to another flight to fill that up?

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 1:19 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

just out of interest how far in advance of the flight were you informed that it was cancelled.............

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 1:37 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Found out yesterday, for flight at beginning of January.  Reasonable time, if there were not so many things to alter - not to mention the fact that our letting agent, from whom we need to pick up the keys, is not open on a Sunday!!  Change of car hire dates, so we are told also involves admin fee!!  Will have to find out more before i state this for certain!!!  Happy Days!!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 5:57 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi nicolaraho

I got the e-mail on 26th October, to cancel our flight on 27th Nov.

So, about 4 weeks notice.

abbbb1

Good luck with it all, sounds a right mare!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 8:36 AM by Anna Star rating in Cambridgeshire / Day.... 6 posts Send private message

HI

We normally go out to Alicante during Feb half term but, Monarch have also cancelled all their flights from Luton to Alicante from November to March.  We had the same problem as you last year with them changing our flight, but i just called them and they changed them all for me for free.

i just can't beleive those flights during the winter months were not profitable for Monarch and Luton is supposed to be their hub - will just have to wait until easter and make up for it!

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 6:25 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Anna,

If you do not mind the budget airlines.   Easyjet fly from Luton to Alicante.

Pat

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 10:16 AM by Anna Star rating in Cambridgeshire / Day.... 6 posts Send private message

Hi Pat

We don't like the scramble for seats on the easyjet and ryanair and all the chaos at the airports.  We much prefer Monarch it much more civilized, but thanks anyway, we have been on those and would rather delay our trip until the Spring.

Anna

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 1:33 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

I am with you on that Anna, I prefer to fly Monarch and in fact only do if travelling with the children. We also did the Bilbao route which if you are going for  month and are not fussed about the Bay of Biscay, worked out cheaper than flying and hiring a car.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 1:45 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Unfortunately, we too have to opt for Monarch, or similar.  I've got husband who is 6'7" and need to upgrade the seats.  Have flown Easyjet, when I've gone on my own - and have been lucky with seats - but it can't be guaranteed.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 3:40 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Just been checking Monarch website for later in the year and now no flights are listed from Gatwick or Manchester to Murcia.

Can they be pulling out of Murcia completely?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 7:00 AM by llamacalmer Star rating in Surrey & La Torre. 318 posts Send private message

llamacalmer´s avatar

Monarch stopped flights from Gatwick to Murcia last October.

R
osemary

Owner of  8 stray Spanish mutts

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 12:34 PM by Beebop Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Monarch also stop flights from Birmingham to Murcia in the winter months not unusual however there are no flights available through the summer from Birmingham to Murcia but i have read that the new airport is 6 months ahead of schedule.

I would not be surprised if Monarch suddenly announces new scheduled flights to the new airport later in the year, we will have to wait and see

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 12:34 PM by Beebop Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Monarch also stop flights from Birmingham to Murcia in the winter months not unusual however there are no flights available through the summer from Birmingham to Murcia but i have read that the new airport is 6 months ahead of schedule.

I would not be surprised if Monarch suddenly announces new scheduled flights to the new airport later in the year, we will have to wait and see

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 1:33 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

Hello Hugh Man

It would seem that Monarch are pulling out of Murcia completely. I was fortunate enough to be alerted to this fact via a previous posting on EOS. Monarch had no intention of telling anyone until 6 weeks before departure. I was offered full refund or to go to Alicante. For ease I swapped to Alicante as by this time too the other airlines had put their prices up so it would have cost us more to go Easyjet.

Luckily I could change my car hire pick up to Alicante but it is more expensive from that airport and I had to incur other change over charges.

Lets hope when the other airport is built Monarch fly there........ hopefully all year round

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 2:08 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

I was indeed under the impression that they had pulled flights over the winter and am surprised to see that appears to be a permanent pull, especially given the popularity of the Gatwick- Murcia route.

See my posting in the thread "New Murcia Airport" to read that more delays have been expected, seems strange that an airline pulls out now of 1 route to await a new airport that will not be open until some time in 2011, even that could be open to question.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2010 5:12 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Ahhh....The famous Monarch Mushroom Syndrome...(keep 'em in the dark and feed em s**t.)

Been that way ever since they pulled the Granada-Gatwick service in Nov.2007 and found they could get away with it...

They are on my 'no-fly' list as a result.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

College students in Spain/college aged students - 0 posts
Moving to Galicia - 3 posts
Los programas favoritos en Espana - 1 posts
Lawyer in Mojacar area - 4 posts
Estudiante de espanol - 0 posts
Oasis Thabernax Country Club [ Tabernas] - 5 posts
ceiling fans - 2 posts
Has anyone seen this before... - 20 posts
ready now - 0 posts
FOR SALE: SAAB 900 CONVERTIBLE - 0 posts
Mar Menor 2 Wardrobes - 2 posts
RUSHCLIFFE- were are you???? - 1 posts
Paypal Setting Up. Any Tips? - 9 posts
Another La Renta question - 0 posts
La Semana Santa en Sevilla - 0 posts
Spanish bull fighting - 74 posts
Spanish holidays - 0 posts
Question about Spain, Need some help! - 0 posts
postres en Espana - 0 posts
Scooter For Sale - 0 posts
Navidad - 0 posts
Cheap travelling to Spain - 0 posts
CGT for non-residents - 1 posts
I want to transport my dogs from UK to Spain - 5 posts
Hola a todos en este foro. Mi nombre es Sunrise. He estado en los Eye On Spain durante casi tres meses! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x