Credit Card Fraud - SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

This story in the Daily Mail won’t restore confidence in the hapless banking industry - or in Spanish tourism. There does seem to be an appalling vulnerability in card transactions these days. I think it might be best to use them to draw cash - and then pay with the cash. Thoughts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229027/Millions-British-visitors-Spain-warned-victims-credit-card-scam.html

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 12:35 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have a particular aversion to using plastic, except for drawing cash from ATMs, or for on-line transactions when there is no alternative (booking flights, for example). Much prefer to use cash whenever possible. I even opt to pay whatever bills (utlities etc.) I can in cash, rather than give my account details to companies who, if not necessarily trying to defraud me, may be prone to make errors which become major hassles when trying to correct them; and besides that, I don't trust banks here (Spain, but anywhere for that matter) not to screw up standing orders / direct debits etc.

I recently opened an account with Solbank and received a Mastercard debit card with it, and they set up (free of charge) an SMS alert system to any transactions made with the card over a pre-determined (by me) amount. First time I withdrew cash at an ATM, I got a text message the moment the cash came out the machine. Pretty neat. (unless, of course, a thief has made off with your mobile as well as your card - especially if you put a sticker on the back of your 'phone with your PIN number on!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 8:18 AM by gnik Star rating in calahonda. 28 posts Send private message

Spain is slowly but surely killing the goose that laid the golden egg, this year I went to the Xanit clinic in Fuengirola to have a simple blood test, this was not possible without seeing a doctor cost 80 eur. He said whilst we are taking your blood we might as well test your cholesteral, turns out he ordered 20 other unnessary tests total cost 280 eur.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 2:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not quite sure I see your point?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 4:03 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

This 'story' is typical of the Daily Mail: words such as 'could' ,'it is thought that', 'might be'.........in other words,  the usual load of codswallop from that travesty of a newspaper.

If the Daily Mail told me tomorrow would be Friday I'd check my diary....

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 7:08 PM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

This story originated from Germany. The fraud having been discovered around September/October. The report having been published in the Financial Times Deutchland.

It has hit Visa and Matercard customers of German Cooperative Banks the hardest.

Die Spiegal reports that 100,000 cards have been recalled. Volksbank, Raffiesbank, Commerzebank and Deutche Kredit Bank have all been hit. The German Central Credit Card Commission has started an investgation.

C.P.P. the Fraud Protection Company UK has apparantly issued warnings.

The story has also been reported by the BBC and the Daily Telegraph.

It appears genuine, even though some reports may be sensationalising it somewhat.

The investgations are centered around a Spanish company and it is assumed nationalities, other than German, may be victims.

There is a danger that it could concern everyone who has a card. So it it best to be warned.

Regards

M

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 12:16 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

Still waiting to be notified by my bank/credit card issuers.

It's sensible to take precautions when using cards with or without sensationalised stories.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

implications for not completing - 9 posts
New charges to be introduced for paying by credit card in Spain from January 2010 - 9 posts
Any banks taking on existing mortgages ? - 1 posts
Sauna Wanted - 0 posts
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 - 3 posts
Car Purchase - 1 posts
Sales Advisor Needed! - 0 posts
Oasis Thabernax country Club-building starts again - 2 posts
Moving to Spain or Portugal - 1 posts
Hi newbie here anyone at Reserva De Marbella? - 4 posts
Will verses Company - 0 posts
Hire car prices 2010 - 15 posts
Motorbike for sale - 0 posts
Latest satellite Free to air channel updates - 1 posts
Return of deposit with out of date bank guarantee - 26 posts
Mini One Convertible June 2007 For Sale 14500€ ono - 0 posts
Online banking - 4 posts
Capital Gains Tax on Selling Property (Resident) - 3 posts
Hola! - 1 posts
Translator in Calpe, Alicante - 0 posts
estepona tax office - 2 posts
president roll - 12 posts
proposed rental prices? - 0 posts
recovery of debts from Spanish developers - 5 posts
Long Term Rental 3 bed mar menor golf resort 2 - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x