Hire car prices 2010

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

So, we had the excuses in 2009 that a) the credit crunch was preventing hire car companies buying enough stock and b) bad publicity for Spain meant hire car companies didn't order enough cars, which meant shortages and higher prices. what is the outlook for 2010 then?

So far, I have booked a 14 day hire with a C3 diesel at €175 full/ full in January and a 5 day hire in February, same car, full/ full and €120. No change there then as a 5 day hire in October full/ full cost €120 also!

There was talk about it earlier in the year as to whether prices would drop next year (not to the previous €10 per day levels) or if the companies would keep the prices inflated because the punters had paid higher prices in 2009. Going by the experience so far, it seems the latter is definitely to be the case!!

What we need is someone like M o' L to come into the hire car market and do for cars what he did for flying. The car hire is costing 3x the amount of 2 return flights from Leeds to Alicante!!

Mark

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 4:37 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

No Mark please

If M O'l was involved he would want extra for a steering wheel !

S

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 5:52 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Car for 8 days in Feb next year is about double the cost of last year through the same company although, of course, a lot less than the summer.

Don't know about M O'L doing car hire but 'is oppo, Stelios, does and they are very expensive.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 7:21 PM by drsue Star rating in NE Hants/Costa Cali.... 29 posts Send private message

We have just booked for 25 days in August - an astra I think from Hertz - who we have never used before as always thought too expensive, for £528.

This is about £400 cheaper than the next nearest quote.

Also should get £52.80 back through Quidco ( a cash back site quidco.com for those who don't know)

We paid £390 for 17 days last summer so we're quite happy with this.

Only thing is you do need to pay up front - and there is a £30 cancellation fee - but we would only cancel if the holiday was cancelled

completely.

This message was last edited by drsue on 17/11/2009.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 8:21 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

always thought Hertz too expensive to even try but having seen your post I thought I would crunch my dates. 28 days high season only  £582........ £300 Cheaper than my normal cheap car hire provider and I know you can't go wrong with Hertz.

Thanks for the tip........ can't imagine there will be too many cars left at this price.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:34 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I've looked at Hertz before and always thought the rental price was good. However, there is a hefty excess or a large amount per day to remove the excess. Is this still the case? Did you book directly with them of via a broker and if so which one. Thanks Kevin

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 9:47 AM by drsue Star rating in NE Hants/Costa Cali.... 29 posts Send private message

We booked direct - hertz.co.uk - but only after had noticed it was a hertz car through one of the search sites -

we get a free 2nd driver and unless we've missed it there doesn't appear to be a hefty excess.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:27 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi drsue, There is a little item of small text at the bottom of the page which is headed 'Rental qualifications and Requirements'. I have copied a small extract from this section for you:-

'Non waivable excess'

'Regardless of whether CDW is accepted or included, all rentals are subject to a non-waivable excess ranging from from EUR 616.00 to EUR 2,002.00, depending on the vehicle group, for which you are responsible in the event of damage to the Hertz vehicle during the rental.'

Unless I have misunderstood but I obtained the above from Hertz.co.uk

Sorry

Kevin

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:35 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi drsue, Just checked but you can avoid the cancellation charge if you cancel within 7 days. Kevin

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:40 AM by drsue Star rating in NE Hants/Costa Cali.... 29 posts Send private message

Just asked DH - he was well aware of this - and he will take out excess insurance with this lot - it's another £49 for the year.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:49 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi drsue, I am pleased you were aware. Just looked at the extra insurance cover, seems like a good idea. Thanks Kevin

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 3:10 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Well, the same February dates with Hertz is 274!!! That is a whopping €154 more for a 5 day rental than I am already paying!!!!

Mark

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 3:59 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

Feb dates with Hertz don't seem as competitive as their summer dates. As per earlier posting comments, watch the excess...... Hertz super cover quite expensive but overall for summer dates at today's date  are cheaper than most

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 4:16 PM by amcgrory Star rating in La Herrada Los Monte.... 23 posts Send private message

amcgrory´s avatar

Tried Hertz for the 1st Jan Alicante but no luck must be closed on holiday ?

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:57 PM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

I've looked at these: "compare car rental"  dot com. They seem cheaper than most!

This message was last edited by tonynault on 19/11/2009.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 12:28 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hertz have the global technology and software to be able to react swiftly to supply and demand, prices will vary accordingly based on bookings, area, and vehicle required.

Worth checking though given some of the prices quoted.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Motorbike for sale - 0 posts
Latest satellite Free to air channel updates - 1 posts
Return of deposit with out of date bank guarantee - 26 posts
Mini One Convertible June 2007 For Sale 14500€ ono - 0 posts
Online banking - 4 posts
Capital Gains Tax on Selling Property (Resident) - 3 posts
Hola! - 1 posts
Translator in Calpe, Alicante - 0 posts
estepona tax office - 2 posts
president roll - 12 posts
proposed rental prices? - 0 posts
recovery of debts from Spanish developers - 5 posts
Long Term Rental 3 bed mar menor golf resort 2 - 1 posts
The Costa Blanca News (Northern Bias) - 0 posts
Radio Stations (Costa Blanca) - 9 posts
Baby Boys clothes - 0 posts
Compulsory Holiday Home Purchase??? - 4 posts
Advise on moving to Spain are moving to England - 3 posts
moving furniture to Murcia - 0 posts
Google Street View - 13 posts
Permission to change Rustic land to residential land - 4 posts
Yet Another Endesa Thread....! - 4 posts
purchase of new 3 bedroom appt - 5 posts
polar airr - 5 posts
I B I Taxes - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x