smoking banned inside at end of the year!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

.......and some said it would never happen in Spain?.   Should save much suffering which is the main thing, but no doubt will upset many bar owners etc. Probably just be ignored by many?

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 4:12 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Being a smoker myself I could go on forever talking about this matter.

I find it ridiculous, people dont want to be surrounded by smokers so they ban smoking!

I dont want to be surrounded by drunks but they do not ban alcohol!

If they really want to do something about it than stop making cigarettes all together, oh wait! Thats no good as they would loose all that huge amount of tax money that they we smokers bring in!

Oh! and lets not forget that some of us may not be treated medically if we have a smoke related disease even though we pay 10 times for taxes than the non smokers!

Yipeeeeeeee! Another topic that causes loads of arguments and makes no sense!

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 5:19 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Won't happen in my village...

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 5:21 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Nor mine.....not a chance..........!

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 5:28 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Goodstich

Am I missing something?, where did this info come from?

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 6:05 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

The sooner the better!

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 6:53 PM by amcgrory Star rating in La Herrada Los Monte.... 23 posts Send private message

amcgrory´s avatar

bring it on !!!!!!!!!!  

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 6:55 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Team GB

from the Lawbird website.

Hammersfan

quite agree. It's a pleasure to go in a UK pub knowing you wont come home smelling foul and haven't increased your chances of suffering some disgusting smoking related disease from somebody elses foul addiction. On the other hand, a couple of pints of real ale or lager , and nobody is hurt in any way as long as you don't drive!  Alchohol in moderation is harmless and can even be beneficial, smoking is bad for you in any quantity.

If smokers want to destroy their health in their own home or car then that's up to them. I don't think that anyone has the right to try and stop that. 

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 7:02 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

I have no problem at all if some people want to enjoy smoking, every one should be able to choose for themselves and if you want to pay huge amounts in tax while enjoying your self, so be it.

I tried smoking like lots of other kids, years ago, all it did for me was to make me cough and choke. It all also used up all my pocket money so I decided to stop and give it up as a bad joke.

What I do have a problem with is, is having to share the smoke that is produced and my health threatened as well as the smokers.

We have a thoughtfull friend who smokes, she goes out side when she fancies a puff or two, but when she comes back, she trails the smoke and smell produced with her back into the room.

In my opinion, smoking should be allowed, but only in the middle of a cordened off area the size of a football pitch or in one of those air tight boxes like the ones used in some airports in Asia.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 7:29 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

There really is no need for smoking inside of bars and restaurants in Spain.  The weather (down South particularly) is normally ok for people to sit outside and smoke.

We went to a coffee shop the other morning with some friends and all our young kids and the men right beside us were smoking practically into our kids faces.  Considering we were there first I was a bit miffed.  Susan did one of "her faces" and they pretty quicly realised we didn't appreciate our kids passively inhaling their smoke.  They stubbed them out pretty quickly.

I am known to have a smoke myself now and then but I will always make sure I don't bother anyone else with it and never smoke inside anywhere.

The whole "smoking ban" was very badly introduced in Spain and I for one do welcome this new legislation.  I just hope that people do respect it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 1:15 AM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

spain is in deep popo so now they are going to push more people into not bothering to go out,......personaly i think smoking is ok,it reduces stress,and somethink these governments and dogooders dont like to advertise is more people die from stress related problems than people that actually die of cancer and proven that the smoking caused their cancer....so put that in your pipe and smoke it

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 10:58 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

coolrunner?......I don't think so if you're a smoker!

you are right about Spain being in deep poopoo though, and much of that is through being in denial of ugly truths until it's all to late........ring any bells?

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 3:39 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I don't know why people post these things as smoking arguments are about as inflammatory as Religion and Politics.

It is very simple in Algorfa.......

There are four bars within 2 mins walk...........

2 smoking and 2 non smoking............

If you smoke you have a choice of 2.....

If you don't smoke you have a choice of 2..........

It's called freedom of choice

simple........

No problems,no arguments.................no point.

And please bare in mind,these have been the laws in Spain for years,if you are dead set against the ways here you know the answer.........

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 4:28 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

I think that Georgia is absolutely spot-on!  Freedom of choice - not the draconian 'Thou shalt not smoke' measures we have in the UK.  I always thought Spain's smoking laws were really sensible - the only problem is - where to buy fags if the Estanco's shut!

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 4:30 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Didn't they try this a couple of years ago? If I recall worked for a couple of weeks before the small (Spanish) bar owners realised that none of their (mainly workmen) customers came in. I saw signs torn down in most of the little bars.

Spain - great at making laws, just who enforces them?

Maybe this time around they'll take it seriously ? Fortunately I stopped Smoking using a local company doing Bioresonance therapy in Costa Blanca. Plugged me into a weird machine and after they had finished with me an hour later I didn't desire a cigarette any more (cravings disappeared?) - not quite sure how it worked - but it did! 

I'd also tried a couple of the local hynotherapy companies, but did not find them to work - €140 for half an hour and they wouldn't pick up the phone for their 'supposed' guarantee??

Eitherway if the ban helps people stop, its a good thing - I certainly feel much better for it.

Paul

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 6:03 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Paul

good for you, whatever works eh!. 

Sadly I have made many trips to a cancer ward and a heart surgery ward recently, which is why I was pleased to read of the ban in Spain.  If I was a smoker before, I'd like to think those visits would have bought me to my senses pretty quickly!!  I realise though that it takes a strong person to admit that their smoking addiction is really bad, that alone do something about it, and many smokers don't have that strength of character sadly, preffering to use the tired old excuse of  'freedom of choice' . In reality, that freedom to regognise right and wrong is lost as soon as they become addicted........but of course they don't see it that way. As long as they have 'their' choice then that's ok.

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 7:20 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Blimey goodstich!! and i thought my explanation was quite easy to get......?

You really are too used to the nanny state.

You see if you don't want to smell smoke here you go in a non smoking bar...if you do want to smoke then you go in a smoking bar,if i simplify it anymore we will breaking out the crayola!!!!!!

I have heard there are gay bars in England and also straight bars, are you saying that we should ban one or the other as it will turn straight people gay and vica versa.

Anyone would think you just like a good moan?!

I have the perfect solution for you if you do not like the Spanish laws and ways of thinking.........

Stay in England and then it won't concern you!

there.....simple.

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 11:12 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

A long time ago I was a forty a day addict. I gave up - successfully after the umpteenth attempt. I tried a new trick; it worked. That is beside the point. The irony is that having friends who smoke I end up inhaling more of their cigarettes than they do. They take the occasional drag. I always seem to be downwind so the fumes from their coffin nails drift constantly into my face and become part of the air I choke on.

When I was in a relationship my other half, who couldn't stand the habit, loved bingo (yes, it has its fanatics). Oh dear! When she returned from a bingo session she; her clothes, her hair, was rancid with the stuff.

I am sorry but I have to agree that it is nigh on impossible to put forward a valid argument in defence of smoking. I wish I had never started but thankfully doctors tell me that so long has passed since I did so my air passages, lungs are those of a non-smoker. If I (and others) can do it so can you. Sorry to preach.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 11:13 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

georgia

so you say I don't get your explanation?, yet there's no sign of you getting the message about cancer and heart problems..  Do I have to get out the crayola to spell that out for you???.  If you want to stay in denial of facts that is indeed your choice.  As for a nanny state?, well yes in some ways, but on this issue it's called consideration for your own health and others, but I doubt that really matters to you as long as you have your choice?  I do pretty much as I like in the UK, where are the restrictions??. Laws and ways in Spain are changing, you may have to move to a country more backward soon if you want somewhere that ignores the smoking issue and the other common sense issues in Spain that we all know about that are long overdue for change.

Mike

once again 'well done'. To go from 40 a day to giving up shows real strength and resolve. Don't worry about preaching, if your story saves one person from ending up in a dreadful cancer ward then it will have been well worth it.  As you say there is no real defence for smoking now we know the hideous health risks. Just denial through addiction or ignorance. Great to hear your lungs are now clear and cancer or some other horrible smoking related disease didn't get you!  Sadly many kids still smoke as they think it's ''cool''?. When I think of how many of them will suffer, it really seems crazy that we can't prevent it somehow?

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 11:53 AM by Alison&Simon Star rating in Hamilton,Scotland - .... 1102 posts Send private message

Alison&Simon´s avatar

sorry geogia.

I am with Goodstich on this one, nothing good comes out of smoking and if you want to know who I would rather my taxes went to help it certainly would not be a 40 a day smoker.  I personally would withdraw all treatment from these people if it was connected to there smoking.  Just remember poor Roy Castle never smoked a cig in this life but due to the filthy habit of others he contracted lung cancer, enough said.

Always look on the bright side of life  

Dogs have lots of friends cause they wag their tails and not their tongues

Alibabe

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How do you remove old posts from community forums? - 4 posts
Satellite receiver from Aldi - 2 posts
Rental Advice Please - 5 posts
Spanish property pessimist gets a surprise - 4 posts
What's puerto banus llike? - 3 posts
Brits rip off Brits - 5 posts
Community wi- fi - 0 posts
How difficult is it to respect a customer's privacy? - 0 posts
La Tercia Real Deposit Refund - Don't Give In! - 8 posts
Marks & Spencer - 12 posts
What has happened to my profile? - 0 posts
Telefonica nightmare - 9 posts
Driving to Spain for Xmas - 4 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 1 posts
Switching to interest only mortgage - 3 posts
Thanks, Justin! (for Chickens) - 4 posts
WiFi hotspots - 12 posts
15 years for a claim - 0 posts
Bankers Guarantee with Polaris World. - 22 posts
Calling an EGM - 4 posts
Keeping order on a Community - 6 posts
ID cards for non-Spaniards? - 5 posts
Personal Trainer - 2 posts
Techo Sobrante - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE: Renault Megane Diesel. Automatic. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x