Brits rip off Brits

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by affmaheid Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Having lived here in Spain for just over 18 months I have noticed how the Brits just love to rip off their fellow countrymen. Everything from British food to cars to villas.  This has become more noticable recently with the amount of people having to return to the UK. Some examples.....A 6000 euro car bought 10 months ago, was sold to a British car dealer for only 2000 euros. The owner needed the cash to return home. A 1000 euro satellite system,bought 7 months ago only got 200 euros,again from a British Satellite installer. No call for them now was the excuse. Go to any British run auction and you will see peoples belongings being sold for a pittance. These parasites seem to thrive on the misery of their fellow countrymen.  They make me ashamed to be British!

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 9:48 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Prices of whatever one wants to sell in a hurry will tumble! You quote a car falling from 6000 to 2000 Euros. Why didn't they take the car back to the UK with them? Its probably worth a lot more here. A satellite system has to be installed and fitted. There is a cost to that. plus if I was buying a second hand system I would to make a big saving against a new item, plus there is no guarantee or after sales service available.

I believe for you to accuse British people of being parasites to show your total lack of understanding of how the real world works! We are in the middle of the deepest financial crisis since the 1930's. You should be blaming bankers and governments for allowing people to have vast amounts of credit which they cannot afford and the can't wait culture that appears everywhere. In addition why are individuals returning to the UK within months of moving out. No doubt they believed they could earn a living by not speaking the language and getting work from fellow Brits!

I for one am always pleased to snap up a bargain. On my visits to Spain I have not seen any items at give away prices. I'm looking for a car and have been shocked at the high prices everywhere, garages as well as private sales.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 10:06 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

I think crooks or rip-ff merchants will operate in any market place and in any country where they can get away with it. Spanish? English?, I don't think it makes any difference, as is evident by some of the worst crooks working in the Spanish property industry being from the UK.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 8:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I agree with Goodstich! Crooks are crooks, regardless of their nationality or where they are in the world. It's all to do with opportunity.

If Brits in Spain are only ripping off other Brits, it's almost certainly because they don't speak enough Spanish yet to rip off the Spaniards as well. And before they left the UK, and when they return, they probably were and will be ripping off whoever they can. And vice versa....if Brits are getting ripped off by other Brits, it's probably because they don't speak Spanish and are therefore forced to deal only with other Brits, who will seize the opportunity to exploit their need.

To add a bit of balance, just off the top of my head I know a Spanish plumber who merrily rips off fellow Spaniards - and of course, given the opportunity, any other nationality as well!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Nov 2009 6:51 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

I have been here almost one year and in the time I have been ripped off by a Brit, a South American, a German and a Moroccan.

I guess I'm an equal opportunities victim......Or just naive and stupid.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2009 7:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Need any jobs doing? I know of a very reliable and trustworthy chimp looking for opportunities!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Community wi- fi - 0 posts
How difficult is it to respect a customer's privacy? - 0 posts
La Tercia Real Deposit Refund - Don't Give In! - 8 posts
Marks & Spencer - 12 posts
What has happened to my profile? - 0 posts
Telefonica nightmare - 9 posts
Driving to Spain for Xmas - 4 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 1 posts
Switching to interest only mortgage - 3 posts
Thanks, Justin! (for Chickens) - 4 posts
WiFi hotspots - 12 posts
15 years for a claim - 0 posts
Bankers Guarantee with Polaris World. - 22 posts
Calling an EGM - 4 posts
Keeping order on a Community - 6 posts
ID cards for non-Spaniards? - 5 posts
Personal Trainer - 2 posts
Techo Sobrante - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE: Renault Megane Diesel. Automatic. - 2 posts
Why ?? ?? - 40 posts
Do you have to pay inheritance tax if it is your primary residence??? - 2 posts
Change of address - 7 posts
Econorent - 5 posts
Accommodation in Murcia - 1 posts
Tolls! - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x