How to transfer small sums of money to spanish bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

Hi all. Does anybody have a way of transfering small sums of money  ( 200-400 euro ) from u.k. into their spanish bank account and not get charged eye watering fees? ( Alliance Leicester charge was to be £30 )

We did think of setting up a PayPal account with a Spanish email address and sending money into it and then withdrawing it to our Banesto account--anybody tried that, if so did it work/not work ?

Can we get ourselves a Spanish email address if we don't have a Spanish isp ?

Reason for these questions is that on the last trip out we had one of those " I thought you had the cash in your bag " " No, you said YOU would bring it !"  moments  and ended up nearly draining our Banesto account dry.We are now back in u.k. and probably not back to Valencia until April. We have several DD payments in the pipeline ( water/elec/insurance on the house ) and these will put us overdrawn if we don't get some cash into the account.

It would be great to just hop on a cheap Ryanair awayday and take some cash over--but time and cash are in short supply at the moment.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks, Ray

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 10:21 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Crostrad

I have not used the Paypal system to make payments personnaly, but my neighbour does on a regular basis, and swears by it claiming that he gets a better exchange rate!  

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 10:26 AM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

I understand that you can transfer from a Halifax account to a foreign account for £9. I have a Halifax Electron account to book our Ryanair flights(!) and set up this facility but as yet have not had to use it. I usually take cash out of the "hole in the wall" when we are there and put the cash into the account. You can normally draw €300 per day from my Nationwide Debit account with no extra charges and you get the bank rate of the day not the tourist rate. Certainly suitable for small amounts.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 10:27 AM by friendly Star rating in North Lanarkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Try (GCEN) Globel Currency Exchange Network.  They have a website that explains everything.  You can transfer your money online. 

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 10:47 AM by cooberpedy Star rating. 91 posts Send private message

cooberpedy´s avatar

We have used GCEN for the past 4 years, we can vary the amount transferred month by month or leave it as a set amount, have moved from a feww hundred to several thousand this way - we have to make sure the money is transferred to GCEN by 25th of the month, and the money is in our spanish bank usually ( weekends and spanish bank holidays permitting!!) by 5th of next month.   It has always worked well for us and GCEN are at the end of a phone here to help.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 2:07 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

We have a Nationwide flex account in the UK.  They do not charge anything for your card if used abroad in a cashpoint or for payment for goods.  What we do, is withdraw monies (up to 300 euros each) i.e. 600 per day)) and then simply pay the cash into our Spanish bank account.  Obviously one needs to keep track of the exchange rate etc - but much much cheaper than what you and others seem to be paying.  N.B. this applies only to Europe and like every bank they can change their conditions for using cards abroad!!  Hope this is useful.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 2:11 PM by andrea_p Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi - HIFX have an online transfer service - min £250.00.

Moneybookers is cheaper but takes longer and the verification process is lengthy.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2009 8:58 PM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

Thanks to all for the help. Looks like we will try the PayPal option as due to our current lack of funds we will only be able to trickle money over in small amounts. I will let you know how we get on with it.

Thanks,

Ray

Like 0      
31 Oct 2009 12:59 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Ray

I noticed from your latest post that you mention going overdrawn on your Spanish account.

Be very careful. I have read posts on this site where people have had their electricity or water cut off because they didn't have enough money to pay the direct debit.

In some cases it has took over 6 weeks to sort out.

I,m not 100% sure how it works in Spain, but (I think) if you don't have enough in your account the bank simply won't pay it and you,ll be cut off. I'm sure that others on the site will be able to tell you if I'm right or wrong.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2009 4:13 PM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Hi, we used HiFX to transfer some money. They let you set everything up online so its quite simple! When we're out there we do the Nationwide thing eg draw cash and pay it over the counter into our account!

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 8:11 PM by ioaned1 Star rating in Cardiff . 22 posts Send private message

ioaned1´s avatar

Hello Crostrad,

hope this idea helps your problem?

I got hold of a Caxton FX card. It is issued by Newcastle building society ( I am not a Newcastle b/s customer).

The Caxton FX is a top up card. You can fill it up where ever you are in the world. Topping it up in Spain using the internet provided by the hotel, the funds are available pretty much instantly.

The benefit of the Caxton compared to others like Bread card and Virgin top up card is that you can get at your money from any ATM abroad TOTALLY FREE!  There is no monthly fee and no limit to amount topped up or withdrawn. If the funds are on the card you can get at it.

I'm a big fan of cheap, but am very fond of free.

Other perks are; you can use it for purchases, you can use it in restaurants etc and you have the same protection against theft damage etc as you would with a regular credit card.

I think it would be useful for your needs in as much as you could draw money from an ATM and pay it in at your branch in Spain.

One word of warning. When we returned to the UK from Spain last October 19th, I took the family for a meal at a nearby restaurant. I still had £82 on the card so used it to pay the bill (£59). Because it was a Sterling transaction, Caxton FX charged me £1.80 for the privilege. So you need to remember don't use it in UK ATM's or for purchases in the UK either.

When I paid the hotel bill in Malaga before we left, the receptionist said I could pay by card in Sterling or Euro's. Fortunately (and it was pure fortune) I opted to pay in Euros. Had I paid in Sterling I would have incurred a charge.

I recommend the card to everyone who travels abroad, because it is easy to use, and its your money, which you have already paid tax on, why should you pay to get access to it????

I got 2 cards, 1 for me and 1 for my wife. The additional card (for my wife) cost me £5. The first card cost £10 BUT, the £10 was credited to my card once it was activated.

Its a win win thing. Hope that helps someway.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 11:43 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Did you use the Paypal option? I need to transfer a small amount to cover the taxes and am not due out until early January. I already have a Spanish Paypal account so that is not a problem.

Mark

edited to add: Would you send yourself a payment request? Doesn't that involve paying a commission to Paypal which would mean the exchange rate is a bit pants?

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 19/11/2009.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 11:29 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

We do the same as everyone else - keep cash in Nationwide and draw through Spanish holes in wall.

For Spanish direct debits we opened a Halifax Hispania account. Only snag is topping it up with cash as out nearest branch is Madrid, 200 km away. I was at the Madrid branch yesterday as they told me that if I opened a UK Halifax account I could transfer funds within 24 hours completely free of charges. Of course, the exchange rate might be poor.

btw, stay away from Caja Madrid! I asked them for a couple of bank cheques to buy some property.......they would have cost 20 quid in UK as obviously the cash was in the account. I was charged nearly 500 euros for each cheque. Another time I did a telegraphic transfer of a few thousand euros from UK. Sent in euros, arrived in euros. A month later Nationwide informed me that CM had applied for & been given a hundred euros in fees - Nationwide said they had to give CM the money as it was the way international banking worked! I ask you. If I had any problems then take it up with CM. That would be a good way to waste three days and get nowhere. 

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 10:54 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

Hi GuyT

We have both a Halifax UK and Spanish accounts and up to about a year ago we transfered money to our Spanish Halifax account this way, the exchange rate was slightly better than the M&S tourist rate but not as good as the commercial rate.

For the last year, we opened a Nationwide flex account and withdrew cash in Spain and put into the Spanish Halifax account, this gives us a better rate than the Halifax intertransfer.

The Halifax to Halifax transfer is good if you can not get to Spain to put cash into your Spanish account.

You also have to cost in travelling to Madrid just to put money into your account, that is unless you are going to Madrid for other reasons as well

Regards

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 12:19 AM by damo7718 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Crostrad,

I also use HIFX you can do transfers online from 250 euros to 10000 euros. It's easy to set up and you get live exchange rates as you are doing it.

Damian

Like 0      
25 Dec 2009 12:38 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I use HSBC internet banking 9 pounds fee, up to 2000pound transfer or 15 up to 10,000. Usedit 3 times this year and after the first it arrives in your Spanish bank account immediately. Last time I drove to bank (10 mins) and it was already their. just remember to tick box that says 'sender to pay all charges' ( the 9 pound fee ). Their are no bank charges this end.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
25 Dec 2009 10:07 PM by jencoo Star rating in east Yorkshire/ Daya.... 131 posts Send private message

In reply to peteranne's post. Travelling to Madrid is not neccessary to put money into the Halifax. There is a branch at Guadarmar. If you come down lemon tree road from Montesinos on to the 332, past the first roundabout, then take the slip road into Guadarmar, then the branch is on the right as you come in. Turn right at the roundabout and park in the car park. And yes, the Nationwide is currently the best way to bring money over but be aware of banks that make a charge for it , hidden in their exchange rate. With two recent transactions I have done, one gave me 1.08, the other 1.12 so  its worth just double checking. Oh and there is also another branch in Torrevieja, just past the park of nations next to Bank Inter.

Like 0      
26 Dec 2009 3:23 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

H Jencoo

Many thanks for the pm and posting.

I think you have misread our posting slightly as we were replying to GuyT's posting, his nearest branch was Madrid, 200 km away, he is not in the Torrevieja/guardarmar area, we use the Torrrevieja branch to put  money into our account as this is the nearest branch to Los Montesinos.

We have found that the best banks to withdraw cash fom our Nationwide Flex account in Spain is Cam bank and Cajamurcia bank in Los Montesinos.

Regards

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
02 Jan 2010 9:44 AM by DG68 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi,

We have two accounts, a spanish account and an account with the Halifax Hispania. We haven't used the Halifax account yet for transferring money but have transferred money into our spanish account through Moneycorp. This charge a fee but depending on the exchange rate sometimes this can cover the fee. They also can set up regular payments into your account from a  UK  account to Spain and this is cheaper (I'm not sure but I think it's about £4 a transaction). We are looking into making regular payments as well.

Hope this helps.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2010 10:58 AM by tigernicol Star rating in buckley north wales .... 71 posts Send private message

Hi all happy new year to everyone

i transfer money abroad every month using smart currency exchange they charge £5 per transaction, you can set the transfer for 6 mths or 12mths they dont have a minium amount like moneycorp i pay it in to my barclays spanish account in mazzaron who all speak english, there are no charges for this from barclays

ALL THE BEST   

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Quality Spanish Builders in Olvera - 0 posts
Driving to Manilva - 9 posts
residency cedrtificate - 1 posts
Cuban Entertainment Required - 0 posts
If my mum is on benefits can she claim in Spain....???? - 3 posts
CAR FOR SALE - Vauxhall Vectra - 0 posts
All packed and ready for the off! - 13 posts
'I Recommend' .. new thread needed? - 9 posts
new law about buying a car in spain - 30 posts
How to embed a youtube video in a blog post - 2 posts
Real Madrid beaten 4-0 by pub team - 0 posts
Swimming pool liquid leak sealer - 3 posts
Spanish car subsidy - 2 posts
Spanish Car subsidy - 1 posts
worked wanted - 2 posts
Scooter Wanted. - 1 posts
working as a childminder in la nucia - 1 posts
What do i need to register kids in school in Malaga? Where do i go? - 5 posts
electric and water suppliers in Olvera Andulcia - 0 posts
4 conditions to pay 0 € for IHT in Andalucia - 13 posts
11 months can be a permanent rental contract - 3 posts
Promise of Mortgage Re-payments Reduced - 10 posts
Need as much info about living in Costa Del Sol - want to make friends! - 3 posts
Mobility Scooter - 0 posts
H2O/Countrywide Terracaz de Alcucin problem - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x