CIVIL PARTNERSHIPS IN SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by Si`s partner Star rating in WEYBRIDGE , Surrey U.... 60 posts Send private message

Hi all !, My partner and I are at last hoping to buy a house in a lovely Inland town near Ronda , it needs work of course but is perfect for us and will be our main home in about 10-15 years time, by then I shall probably be dust as 19 yrs older than Si  ,HOWEVER , I hope to make full use of the home at various times, especially winter which we both loath in UK !!No,  we ain`t S A D  but suffer from it none the less !!! Ugh! 6 months of cold, damp and greyness !!

Our real concern is that should one of us, sadly  pop our clogs as they say , then the surviving partner is not subjected to a punative Tax Demand on half or whatever on the house etc.

We would like to know if in fact a Civil Partnership conducted in the UK is fully reconised in Spain when purchasing a property , or would we be expected to go through another in Spain  also , would we also need to make a Spanish Will even though we shall not for some time be resident in Spain.

All these things are a little confusing as no one so far seems to know the answers and its so important to get it all clear and correct BEFORE we buy , that , apart from the fact we both love Inland  Andulcia is the main reason we and thousands of others do not buy in France , screwed rotten there if one of you dies !!!

As I have said it will really be Si`s main home when he retires , its really his `Pension` rather than money `lost` in some Pension Plan of the `Dodgy Future` !

If anyone out there has advice we would be truly very very grateful ,

In the meanwhile I shall keep you all up to date on our quest to secure this house , sign on the dotted and begin renovations etc etc, also  probably get hitched now ( we have been together for nearly 15 years so I suppose we should ) we just never seem to have the time !!!!

Can`t believe we have actually found a place, we have looked on and off for about 12 years , ANOTHER STORY , Si is now trying to arrange a quick 3 days visit to look over what I found and explore the area etc, we can`t travel together now as our beloved Westie Amy is now 13 1/2 years old ,almost  blind and Diabetic , she is still  a very  happy demanding madam, if a little slow now on the walkies front,  and we love her to bits but as she needs Insulin Jabs every morning we can`t both leave her so we take turns to get away , anyway, we both have the same `impeccable `taste so am sure he will love it when he see`s it!! Ha Ha !

All the best to all you lucky people already enjoying a warm and gentle life in Spain , know its warm cos` I only came home last week and it was 36c , oh the deep joy of warm sun on the old bones !!! Vee xx

This message was last edited by Si`s partner on 19/10/2009.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 11:16 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

By Civil Partnership you mean civil union ( alternative to formal marriage)?

Why do you want to apply that status to the purchase of your house? Do you want to buy the hiuse by a commun good society related to your partnership better than in joint names? If so... why is it? Just in order to avoid high inheritance taxes?

Best regards,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 11:31 AM by Si`s partner Star rating in WEYBRIDGE , Surrey U.... 60 posts Send private message

Hi Maria , sent you a private message, Thanks so much for your very quick response to my thread !xx

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 11:43 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

A pleasure.

MAria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 7:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hi Vee, & welcome to EOS.

I'm sure Maria will be able to give the best advice, as she is the qualified professional here. Meanwhile, my understanding is that any assets in Spain are subject to Spanish IHT rules even if you are non-resident, so it's definitely worthwhile making Spanish wills - otherwise in the event of a death, any English will would have to be legally translated. Any lawyer can help draw these up and register them at a notary with you. As for tax liabilities and recognised relationships etc., it's quite a complex subject and you really should seek professional advice before "signing on the dotted", but there's an interesting and useful ongoing thread on another forum about it which may give some answers.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Oct 2009 2:42 AM by Si`s partner Star rating in WEYBRIDGE , Surrey U.... 60 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto , Thanks so much for your kind email and advice etc , yes  I have emailed Maria  privatley , she is a font of information and hope she comes up with more advice for us !!

Watch this space, am sure we will be asking a load more questions !!!

Kind Regards Vee

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 1:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Another useful link, particularly the part under "UK Civil Partnerships"

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/marriage-in-spain

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Leather Sofa repair - 7 posts
Utilities & a "new" one - 1 posts
Is EOS a good place for everyone with an interest in Spain ? - 14 posts
Teletec v Europa whos best? - 1 posts
Tax question, Selling property and returning to the U.K. - 2 posts
Epson : Self Destruction Printers - 10 posts
Decorating - 6 posts
rent 2 buy - 1 posts
spanish mobile phones - 7 posts
RESIDENCIA AND NIE - 0 posts
community charges for special repairs - help needed. - 3 posts
FRACTIONAL OWNERSHIP - 14 posts
HPA section 9.4 Contribution to expenses - 12 posts
5 door CAR WANTED - 2 posts
Any recommendations for Aguilas. - 1 posts
HPA section 7 - 1 posts
cheap housing wanted - 1 posts
British to Spanish Driving licence- Alicante Region, Orihuela/Elche area - 23 posts
Help Needed - 7 posts
property management company wanted - 3 posts
legal Help - 0 posts
Mobile Home Transport ALbir - Alfaz del PI - 1 posts
Fernando del Valle - 2 posts
Long term rental - 0 posts
Solar Batteries deep cycle 12V 200AH + solar panels NEW - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x