How do I de-register my car in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by john henderson Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi

My Mum has just returned to the UK from Spain and taken her British car with her. Does anyone know how she can de-register her car in Spain so she no longer has to pay the annual road tax?

Thanks for any help that is offered.

John

Like 0      
05 Oct 2009 4:49 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Not quite sure what you mean, a UK plated car has returned to the UK. you do not pay Spanish road tax on a UK plated car.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2009 4:58 PM by john henderson Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The car had spanish number plates for a couple of years before returning to the UK.

Cheers

John

Like 0      
05 Oct 2009 6:46 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Now I understand. I know if you scrap a car you go to the town hall and they give you a piece of paper and take it off the road tax database, I have done this for a motorbike, so I presume this is the place to go. Explain the car is now in the UK.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2009 8:28 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

You will need to re-register the car on British plates, and this will probably mean that you will have to import the car into the UK.

For more information go to the Importing and Exporting a Vehicle on the UK Direct Gov site.

You will also need to tell the Spanish Authorities that it has been exported.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Oct 2009 8:32 AM by john henderson Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The crux of what I’m looking for is this: Does my mum have to visit the Trafico Office in Alicante to de-register her car and get it off the road tax database? Or can she visit a local office in Torrevieja such as the town hall?

Like 0      
13 Oct 2009 8:48 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hello John. I think the confusion here is because you mention a British car but you do not mention if your mum had it put on Spanish plates which is what I am thinking as you are concerned about Spanish road tax. If it is Spanish plated and she does not give the car the baja ( This she must either do at the main trafico or go to a gestor de automoviles)not expensive if they charge you the correct fee. If you do not do this and return the Spain the debt of the road tax will increase yearly and she will have to pay in the end. If she has a home or bank account here they can put an embargo. If it is British plated as others have thought, no problem, just take it back to the UK:

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 9:36 AM by spaniola Star rating in Jaen. 22 posts Send private message

It's best to get it sorted as soon as possible - a visit to traffico is a must, or via a gestor.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Courier Work in Spain - 10 posts
sky box for sale - 0 posts
Profile - 3 posts
Are HID headlight bulb systems legal in Spain? - 22 posts
English/Spanish Wills? - 2 posts
wanted log burner or simular - 3 posts
Paying tax on a rental property - 4 posts
Health and Safety Agencies - 2 posts
Jet 2 Christmas/new year flights to Murcia - 5 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 0 posts
Cannibalism - Can you HELP - 5 posts
Non Completion on Roda Contracts - 2 posts
Madrid Olympic bid 2016 - 0 posts
Registering a UK motorbike in Spain. - 3 posts
Beware Lettings Conman - 0 posts
Alcazaba Hills - 17 posts
uk treats costa blanca - 0 posts
Debt Termination Incorporation - 2 posts
Private Health Insurance. Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Importing a UK car to Spain - 17 posts
New Healthcare Scheme for Valencia - 2 posts
taxi needed on saturday night from Valle del Este to Mojacar - 0 posts
la caixa - proceddures on depositing cheques - 4 posts
Looking for a few key estate agents - 0 posts
Print Spanish postal stamps from PC? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x