UK registered cars in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by Chrisdann1 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

You can only keep a UK registered car in Spain for up to 182 days in any 365. Then it has to be taken off the road for a full continuous six month period or be re-registered with Spanish national plates. That's EU law.  Until it has been re-registered it must remain fully road legal in the country of registration.  That means that it must have a valid MOT from the UK and display a current UK tax disc.  In spite of what you may have heard, a Spanish ITV on a UK registered vehicle is not valid.

The easiest thing to do is re-register your car with Spanish plates, pay Spanish road tax, have a Spanish certificate of roadworthiness and buy Spanish insurance.  You can then drive knowing that you are 100% legal.  Muy facil no?

Like 0      
11 Sep 2009 8:56 PM by Rob & Lor Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Does anyone know the cost of registering a U.K. car onto Spanish plates and how complicated is it. We would be takeing the car to Spain ourselves.

Rob & Lor

Like 0      
11 Sep 2009 10:05 PM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 182 posts Send private message

Hi Rob and Lor,

We drove to Spain (to live) last November, and we have now got our Spanish plates and all relevant documentation in place.  We paid a local gestor 900 euros to do everything for us, it saves all the legwork and stress of doing it yourself. We took the car to the ITV centre (a cost of 113 euros) and it passed on everything except the lights which we knew we would have to change and also the foglight. This was done at a local garage, and I think the cost was about 350 euros. Altogether 1500 euros. 

Just edited the post to add that we had to also get Spanish insurance, and we went with linea direct at a cost of 362.00 euros fully comp and courtesy car.   In spain you don't have to add a named driver unless they are under 26 years of age then you have to pay extra, because in spain it is the car that is insured not lthe person. Linea Direct are english speaking also

This message was last edited by 1962 on 11/09/2009.

Kathy

Like 0      
11 Sep 2009 11:10 PM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 182 posts Send private message

Hi again forgot to add Spanish ins. cost with LInea direct, (english speaking) 362.00 euros for our car fully comp and courtesy car. This is good for Spain ins. is dearer than the UK

Kathy

Like 0      
12 Sep 2009 4:09 PM by sandra55 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, I used a company called   carimportinspain.  They have a web site.  I paid 785 euros and they took care of everything. Th ITV test was 38 euros and my first year's road tax was 112 euros.  It took a week to get my Spanish plates and then I went on the Linea Directa (Direct Line) web site and bought my own insurance on line.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2009 10:40 AM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Rob and Lor. You have received some good information about registering your car onto Spanish plates. Their is a limit from when you take your residency and plating the car without paying the import duty.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Advice required, Title / Deed Transfer - 3 posts
short term parking at or around murcia airport - 1 posts
Ryanair Baggage return flight only - 17 posts
Would anyone be interested? - 4 posts
Tips for increasing your Spanish property rentals online - 6 posts
Taking a dog from Spain to France and back? - 11 posts
Lost SIP Card - 2 posts
Is It Time For Plan B - 118 posts
Wireless Internet - 0 posts
CAM Bank - Annual interest rate change on loans - 3 posts
Justin, Private messages. - 2 posts
Fire on Estepona Mountain - 7 posts
computer screen gone mad! - 2 posts
Medical Advice if you're moving to Spain - 1 posts
EOS Spanish Course - 13 posts
Gardner & Handyman and homemade cakes! - 0 posts
new sky cards - 5 posts
Inheritance debts! - 6 posts
Pool price - 1 posts
Spain court jurisdiction - 5 posts
by train from the ferry terminal at Denia to Totana - 3 posts
ENDESA PHONE NUMBER NEEDED PLEASE FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING STAFF - 19 posts
Changing avatar etc - 15 posts
Wanted - Folding BIke - 5 posts
Car share from Manilva to La Line/Gibraltar - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x