Taking a dog from Spain to France and back?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Our dog is chipped and up to date with his injections. Is there any thing else we need to do to take him to a friends house in France and back to Spain?

As there is no longer any boarder control, not like the old days. You stopped the car, eveyone got out. Passports inspected, given a map and a little bag of sweets. What fun. You know you'd left one country and entered another. I'm rambling now, sorry.

I'm not talking about the UK here, just France and Spain.

Thanks, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
09 Nov 2009 8:19 PM by denisehl Star rating in La Linea de la Conce.... 20 posts Send private message

Hello Febe,

I know I'm a bit late in the reply, but we have only just arrived in Spain from the UK. We spent a fortune on a dog passport, chips, vaccines and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. We were advised to be at Dover at least an hour before the Ferry was due to sail because of complications because of a dog on board. Imagine my surprise, we were put in a special 'dog on board' queue. Nobody checked the dog passport, or ours for that matter. After that we travelled through France, Spain, Portugal, then back into Spain. Apart from wanting money for tolls, no one stopped us or asked for anything. So I'm pretty certain you will be fine. Hope you enjoy your holiday, or perhaps you have already been and come back.

Kindest Wishes,

Denise 

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 9:38 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

We drove from Prague where we'd been living to Southern Spain last December with our Rhodesian Ridgeback.  The journey took three days of easy driving and our dog was comfortable with his bed and toys in the back of our Discovery. The hotels we stayed in in France and Northern Spain were very dog friendly.

We had everything done that the regulations require: dog passport, chip, vaccinations etc. etc. all within the stipulated time frame. To our amazement we passed through the German, French and Spanish borders without being stopped, although a Ridgeback is scarcely inconspicuous.

I am sure you will encounter no difficulties whatsoever.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2009 4:03 PM by paulel Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I will be driving from France to the Malaga area in December with my 2 lurchers (and a cat) so i would be very grateful if anyone can let me know of any dog friendly hotels in Spain. My route will take me down the coast past Barcelona and Valencia.

Thanks

paul

Like 0      
13 Nov 2009 7:12 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Thanks Denisehl and Praguepix,

Digger is due for his jabs again this month, so I'll ask tha vet then. I have heard of a lesser sort of passport for mainland europe, not including UK. I think this is what we need. Available from a vet. I know we're unlikely to be stopped, but sods law says that if anyone is it'll be us!

Take care, Febe

Like 0      
13 Nov 2009 7:26 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Paul,

I think the motorway hotels Campanile take dogs. You'll have to check.

There are 2 around Barcelona, I don't know about Valencia, but  there is 1 at Alicante, Elche and Murcia.

Have a good trip, Febe

Like 0      
13 Nov 2009 8:17 PM by paulel Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks Febe, I will try Campanile.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2013 9:06 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

hi all

does anyone know if things have tightened up on cross border movement of dogs through mainland europe, still looking at getting our dog a passport, but curious if there are any border checks now or is it just the uk?

thanks

Like 0      
11 Jul 2013 5:10 PM by DianaMA Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi wencra, I've just come across your question and as far as I know legal requirements to entry Spain with dogs haven't changed recently. I also had this doubt when we decided on April to come for holidays in Spain. I found very interesting information in spainandtravel website. They have a very useful category: practical advice with update and helpful info about this subject. Hope this solves all your doubts. 

Regards,

Like 0      
11 Jul 2013 9:14 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

Hi  DianaMA thanks for your reply will have a look at that site

Like 0      
12 Jul 2013 9:46 AM by rolley Star rating in Torrevieja . 41 posts Send private message

No checks on the French /spanish border but get a passport and you can travel legally after 21 days.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2013 10:08 AM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

thanks rolley, we intend to get a passport as we will be coming back to the uk for visits, it was more a curiosoty thing

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lost SIP Card - 2 posts
Is It Time For Plan B - 118 posts
Wireless Internet - 0 posts
CAM Bank - Annual interest rate change on loans - 3 posts
Justin, Private messages. - 2 posts
Fire on Estepona Mountain - 7 posts
computer screen gone mad! - 2 posts
Medical Advice if you're moving to Spain - 1 posts
EOS Spanish Course - 13 posts
Gardner & Handyman and homemade cakes! - 0 posts
new sky cards - 5 posts
Inheritance debts! - 6 posts
Pool price - 1 posts
Spain court jurisdiction - 5 posts
by train from the ferry terminal at Denia to Totana - 3 posts
ENDESA PHONE NUMBER NEEDED PLEASE FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING STAFF - 19 posts
Changing avatar etc - 15 posts
Wanted - Folding BIke - 5 posts
Car share from Manilva to La Line/Gibraltar - 0 posts
Legalising my existing swimming pool - 4 posts
For Sale Toyota Rav 4 2005 - 1 posts
Any thoughts on La Marina Urbanisation near Santa Pola Costa Blanca? - 29 posts
Spanish-English interchange - 0 posts
Consumer wins against unfair penalty clause - 0 posts
Gas Cost for AC Unit - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x