Turned off street lights

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by troyally Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi

Can anyone help me with this problem, I'm hoping some pof you may have heard of this before as I am at a loss !!

I own a property in a "lomas" which I believe is a "part of a community" which consists of 8 streetsbuilt on the loutskirts of an already existing village and we are looking to start up our own community very shortly. We all have our COH's and have all been paying our Sumo Taxes for two years now. The builder left site a while ago and out street lights were running on the generator (paid for by the builder) until they were switched over to mains electric power by Iberdrola.

Recently, the street lights were all turned off in our streets (only the new development, not the main village) and no-one knew why. We have been told it is because there is an outstanding "debt" between either the builder and Iberdrola or the local council and Iberdrola of around £300,000 for unpaid electric supply. One member of our community has been advised that we should not start up our community as if we do, we will inherit this debt. 

We have all individually tried to find out from the town hall, Iberdrola, the Builder what we can about this alleged "debt" but until now none of us have had any luck.

Any ideas on how we can sort this out?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Troyally

Like 0      
20 Aug 2009 11:44 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I don't know where you are, troyally, but you need to get a good solicitor to do a search for any outstanding debts before you even think of starting up a community.  Any debts (to the electric or water company not paid by the developers) will still be extant and those of you who have these facilities may be liable to pay them.  Although the builders cannot charge you for supplying these utilitiies, some of them will try it on.  Look for threads on here by Fly380 regarding builders who have done this and the many problems that have been caused because of it (Iberdrola not reinstating electricity until previous bills are paid, for example).

Hope it all gets sorted out for you but you do not good, legal advice on this debt recovery.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 8:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The Local Council has an obligation to produce to you all the information related to this. Yes, I would advise you to hire a good lawyer to request the information on your behalf. Once you have it, he/she will be able to see what is the best procedure to solve the problem. You really need to obtain that information directly from Local Council.

Best regards,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 10:10 AM by spanishsolicitor Star rating in Murcia. 140 posts Send private message

spanishsolicitor´s avatar

In my view the starting point in order to solve your problem should be to get from the Land Registry an update copy of the title (declaracion de obra nueva y propiedad horizontal) and/or the Articles (Estatutos) of your community. Once translated - if you are not able to understand Spanish – you will be ready to find out what is really happening with the Town Hall. You will know what is exactly the legal framework provided for your community

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 11:41 AM by troyally Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks for those replies about my street lights, very helpful as usual

Troyally

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 11:49 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

A pleasure.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Community start up - 2 posts
FOR SALE - 2003 Citroen C3 Pluriel 1.4 Convertible - 0 posts
Any quiet islands in Spain - 3 posts
scanning and translating a letter - 1 posts
Advice on importing household goods - 3 posts
torresatalit tv info? - 6 posts
landline - 5 posts
Weather Alicante beginning of October? - 4 posts
Probably stupid question bout Ryan air and departing different airports - 12 posts
Ryanair returning to Valencia - 1 posts
minimum wage - 2 posts
second hand private sale what to do ???????? - 2 posts
Above ground pool........ - 1 posts
Pocket dragon collectors??????? - 5 posts
Great Healthcare in Almeria - 2 posts
Channel 5 changes... - 0 posts
Hertz Car Hire - 1 posts
Consequence of lack of business Insurance - 2 posts
Long term rental - 0 posts
Buying Currency for US holiday - 3 posts
Bahia de Casares - 2 posts
Communal pool - 11 posts
Items for sale due to move to UK - 14 posts
Opening a bank account - 8 posts
Marbella uk key management services. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x