Buying Mopeds While in Espana

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by Rach-Sam Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Just wondering how much it would be to buy a second hand moped while in living in spain

Thanks

Rach

This message was last edited by Rach-Sam on 13/08/2009.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 9:53 AM by diverdan Star rating in Scotland / Greenock .... 119 posts Send private message

Can i add some other extra questions to the first posting.

What is required to use the moped legally - i.e. registration, insurance,road tax or anything else?

Looking forward to a long retirement in the sun..........

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 10:46 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Price depends, you can get pretty good almost new Piaggio Zip 49cc from 600 euros. I think there are new bikes in Carrefour for unfer 1000 and road tax is around 6.50 euros per year, it needs to be itvd. 

Insurance can be as little as 100 euros per year and if you pay for the name registration its around 150 euros (in Andalucia anyway, mey be less or more elsewhere)

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 2:56 PM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Yes, i saw these in Carrefour, looked very nice and very reasonable,

Basic questions coming up sorry ....

Can you buy it straight from carrefour or do you pay for it then it's delivered?

(or ride it throught the checkout )

How would you pay the road tax? and I presume it does not need to be itv'd if it is new (how long before new vehicles need an itv?)

And what s the name registation?  I presume this is like DVLC in the UK.  How would you go about this?

Many thanks for any help.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 3:10 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar

Be careful with the Carrefour mopeds. They're made by an Aussie-owned company, in China, and while they might be cheap as chips, hope that they don't suffer a mechanical failure. Spare parts are a nightmare to get hold of.

I was told that, if you're going to buy one, you should buy two - the second for spares.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 11:59 PM by Tom2009 Star rating in Axarquia. 11 posts Send private message

Tom2009´s avatar

HybridAnglo is right.  Stay away from the discount chinese mopeds. They are very cheaply made, unreliable and hard to find parts for.

Best to find a used  European brand like Derbi, Peugeot, Piaggio or a Japanese brand like Yamaha or Honda for example.

Check out the Spanish online classifieds ( anuncios) or a local motorcycle garage or dealer.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2009 12:42 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

We have been looking for a moped for our son up here in Catalunya and whilst the mopeds are cheap the insurance is sky high (even for us as adults with all the benefits of max no claims etc) and it is much cheaper to insure a 125cc which for now can still be driven on a car licence.  Also as we understand it from the seller, a moped does not require an ITV as such but it does need regular servicing to prove it is roadworthy.  Please realise though that we are in Catalunya which is a totally different planet from the rest of "Spain".

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 7:20 AM by starr93kelly Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

i have bought a second hand moped but i only have an english provisional is this illegal to drive the moped in spain? and where do i get it itv and change of name? i live in málaga

Regards

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 7:20 AM by starr93kelly Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

i have bought a second hand moped but i only have an english provisional is this illegal to drive the moped in spain? and where do i get it itv and change of name? i live in málaga

Regards

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 9:12 AM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

Yes if it has Spanish plates you need a Spanish licence. Trafico to change the name and an ITV station for the ITV if it needs one.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 3:27 PM by starr93kelly Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

so i cant drive the moped on an english provisional?

and how much does the itv cost and the change of name?

and also will i need an nie to change for all of it?

This message was last edited by starr93kelly on 24/09/2009.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 6:43 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

Nope, you need a Spanish one.  You may not need an ITV, check it out at the station but if you do then for a car it is only around 50 Euro so a moped will be bugger all really.  To change the name you need to be a resident so you need an NIE and proof of residency in the form of the certificate from your town hall.  You will get your licence from trafico in Malaga and up here in Catalunya they just take your English one away & swap it for a Spanish one.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bar Work Wages / Monthly Income - 9 posts
Wages / Income For Bar work - 0 posts
Disney looking for land - 10 posts
Trying to book a holiday rental online, not a good experience. - 25 posts
Vehicle import tax - 7 posts
Spanish courses in Valencia?? - 1 posts
spanish Courses in Valencia?? - 3 posts
Do I need a license to rent out my apartment? Valencia region - 22 posts
help required - 2 posts
% Spanish Property Drop Since Sept 2008 - 1 posts
Ban on 'Speedos'.................. - 11 posts
TAPAS RECOMMENDATIONS - 0 posts
Wealth Tax Help!! - 7 posts
New Post Alerts - 8 posts
I love lidl - 2 posts
This made me laugh - 8 posts
Apostille and Embassy Legalization on Buying Property - 4 posts
More flights to Spain for those of us Oop North!! - 3 posts
Power of atturney - 1 posts
Villa in Benalmadena/La Carihuela - 4 posts
Moving to spain in 9 months - 12 posts
SELLING AND CHANGING OWNERSHIP OF SPANISH CAR - 2 posts
Moving to Madrid..but don't have a clue! - 1 posts
Help! The grout in my pool is going black! - 4 posts
Buying a spanish reg car before moving to spain - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x