Hand Luggage on Easy jet Flight to Gibraltar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Easy Jet allows one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cmone standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm.   I don't take a suitcase only this size of hand luggage plus a handbag and anything bought at the Duty Free. 

My husband warned me yesterday that his work collegue went to Glasgow wth Easy Jet and they were strictly enforcing this one piece of hand luggage - no handbags, duty free bags - they all had to go into the hand luggage .Are they enforcing this on all the flights  ( I know Glasgow to Gatwick has always been strict but they did allow a ladies handbag. )? 

Is this another way of making you pay for the luggage and getting you to buy Duty  free on board?

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 3:46 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

We had the same thing on a recent flight from Newcastle to Malaga.  We both had to place our bags in the orange hand luggage rack at check in to make sure they weren't too big.  My wife also had to put her hand bag in to her hand luggage.

I hope Easyjet don't end up like Ryanair, who seem to take great joy in annoying their customers.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 3:57 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Tamsin, Easyjet have had this rule, same as most other cheap airlines, for ages but just not implemented it till recently. It really is up to each of us to read their website where it's clear enough, just one piece of hand baggage max 55x40x20cm each.

Ironically though, having checked again their rules here state

Save where the limits set locally are more restrictive, passengers are permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a volume limit of 55x40x20cm (including wheels and pockets) (“Standard Hand Baggage”). It must fit without force into the gauges provided at check-in or departure gates. No weight restriction applies within reasonable limits — i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:
(a) one of the following: An overcoat; an umbrella, or a shawl; and
(b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport.

Perhaps we should all print this & show Easyjet staff. I would hazzard a strong guess that it would come under the 'Save where the limits set locally are more restrictive'  logic !!!

David, on a recent flight from Bristol to Murcia we also were asked/told to put our hand baggage within the contraption. Imagine our amazement when a case advertised as under 55x40x20cm needed 'help' to go in & then the wheels stuck out the side which she obviously didn't see as I was standing against it. There now are notices on the check in desk with graphics showing the only way hand baggage must go in the wotsit. If you manage to get it in but the wheels stick out the side as one graphic showed we have to check it into the hold. Needless to say we've left that case in our place in Spain & bought two smaller ones.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 30/07/2009.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 9:02 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Same thing happened to us when going from Newcastle to Malaga, only one piece of hand luggage and no handbags. Luckily thats all I had that time.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 9:28 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Same on bmibaby.  Never used to be. 

Recently had to put  very, very tiny over-body bag (purse size for my money to use on the plane) into my larger handbag (ordinary handbag size, not cabin luggage size).  I usually keep the purse on me and put the hndbag in the overhead locker.  I was also told to put my caridgan on or put it in the bag,  I wasn't allowed to carry it under my arm.  Newspaper bought at shop in departures also had to go in the handbag.   All demanded before I was allowed entry to the seating area in the departure gate.  Rules is rules now - one bag - either a handbag or hand luggage.  Have to comply - but it seems excessively stupid .

Jane

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 11:14 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Do these people actually want passengers?

I really begin to wonder...

Shame we cannot organise a 'boycott the cheapies day', (all of  'em) to make them realise that they actually need us poor schmucks...

Just too bloody big for their boots...

For the second time today,  Victor Meldrew retires to the village bar...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 11:10 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

It is a real pain, if you carry a laptop you have to take it out at the metal detector and then put it away again, they want you to put everything in the bag, then take it out, then put it back!

Its ridiculous, soon enough they wont allow us to sit on the pane becuase we take too much space!

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 11:15 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Maybe thats the real reason that Ryanair wants to convert his aircraft to 'Standees...'

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 3:40 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:
(b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport.

I did not see this on the web site - so thanks for this . 

Could we ladies not put our handbag in the Duty Free bag???. This is getting stupid now.

When we flew to Glasgow the Ground Stewardess at  Gatwick was like a little Hitler . My husband had to put his case in the hold - the  case passed the dimensions but the wheels stuck.    We were expecting to have to pay for it but didn't .  On the way back - no problem but it was a Steward . Is this a female ' thing'.

I agree that in the past what people passed as ' hand luggage ' was just too much but now  East Jet have gone the other way.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 4:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

The problem with hand luggage will become more apparent once everyone checks in online. The first you will know that your bag is too big is when you are refused boarding at the gate. I've seen at least two people putting dirty washing on at the gate to make their bags smaller and prevent putting it in the hold, sorry, but I have no sympathy.

The problem is that people have always tried it on with carry on luggage getting bigger and bigger, leaving no room in the overhead lockers for others to use. If everyone had "played ball" in the first place and not tried to take advantage, it may not have come to these draconian measures.

Mark

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 5:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Tamsin, Easyjet's regs may say In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:

but, in practice we had a woman at Bristol in May ( the same one who told us to put our hand baggage in the measuring thingymebob) stand at the gate as we were about to board & she was insisting all those with handbags, hand baggage & carrier bags force these into one bag !!! This caused a lot of delay quite obviously & we didn't hang around waiting to see what happened if/when someone couldn't do that & I guess it happened with many. We did see someone manage to bypass the woman as she tackled someone with a bag, a hand bag & a carrier.

As Mark says 'If everyone had "played ball" in the first place and not tried to take advantage, it may not have come to these draconian measures'.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Glass Engraving - 0 posts
Iberdrola white meter? - 8 posts
Playing the lottery in Spain? - 8 posts
Car Hire - Recommendations Please - 11 posts
Sat Navs: which one to choose that has a good sized screen & covers Europe & UK ?? - 20 posts
Best way to finance a purchase - 2 posts
Sofa available to take away - 0 posts
Autonomo /Administrator Problem - 3 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Telephone Police reports in English - 2 posts
La Marina Pueblo - is it possible to hire car for 2 days only? - 1 posts
BA suspending route from Gatwick to Malaga - 1 posts
Spain uncut DVD'S paid for but not delivered? - 2 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to June 2010 - 19 posts
Airport pick-up - 10 posts
COFFEE TABLE FOR 50 EUROS WENGUE COLOUR - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY BATH FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
2 SEATER SOFA - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY CAR SEAT FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SELLING BRAND NEW BABY CAR SEAT - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SPANISH LESSONS FOR FOREIGNERS - 0 posts
What happened in Manilva - 57 posts
WANTED - BABY'S CAR SEAT - 4 posts
ELECTRIC BILLS THIS MONTH - 21 posts
anyone dealt with vanityangels - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x