Hola ... El Gusto Es Mio

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Howdy.  I'm Bruce, a college professor and nonprofit executive.  My partner (Russ) and I live in the midwest USA, about midpoint between Chicago and Milwaukee.  We just purchased a "vacation bolt" or holiday home in Olvera, Spain, and will be traveling there between 19 August and 2 September to finalize the purchase.  My undergraduate degree is from the University of Madrid (in Spanish, of course!) although I now teach courses in media literacy, journalism, gender studies, and media relations.  Russ is program coordinator at an emergency youth shelter.  We didn't want a place like so many of the condos here in the states, but preferred to be in a place more typically Spanish.  Hence Olvera.  While we intend to spend each January in Spain for the next year or two, we plan to increase our time in Olvera such that our lives will be divided between here and there.  We would love to meet some kindred souls and add to our extraordinary friendships.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 9:07 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Olvera and Pueblos Blancos de Cadiz in general are always a great choice. Real Spanish life. Great people and community oriented population. Friendly, warm.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 9:19 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Bruce,

Olvera looks like a good choice.  I've just been looking at some photos of it on google and it looks really picturesque and Spanish.

Best of luck

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 7:28 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Mil gracias.

To date, we have heard nothing but good things about Olvera (and the Cadiz region), except, of course, for "sufriendo el maldito calor" throughout most of Spain.  We're told it should be even hotter when we arrive for the feria the last two weeks in August.  Oh, well, we DID buy our vacation bolt to get away from the wicked winters of Wisconsin!  jejeje

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 9:39 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've never been out to our house in Spain in August but I do normally visit in Spring, Autumn and Winter when the fights are cheaper.

Over the past 6 years I've been travelling there I've noticed the change in the weather.  In Winter it's ok when the suns out for about 5 hours in the day.  You have to open your shutters or persiannas to warm up the house, once the sun goes down the houses soon loose the heat and become very cold and drafty.

Last year it was very cold in November/December, I bought thick jumpers from the local markets to keep warm.  Previous years I would be wearing long sleeved tshirts and a cardigan.  I was so cold I put thermal vests on my xmas list.  Packed them for my return visit this year end of January and didn't need them.

One January it was sunny but the wind chill made it feel like -2, the local market had a stall selling hats and scarves.  I think they sold out with an hour.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 9:57 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Pay a visit to Grazalema when you are in Olvera. You will love it!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 2:38 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Mariadecastra: Thanks for the suggestion ... will definitely visit Grazalema.  Does it have a particular market day?

Semijubilada:  Gracias.  We are traveling to Olvera this August to finalize our property purchase ... spruce the place up a bit ... and make some acquaintances.  Thereafter, our plan -- for the next two years -- is to spend the month of January in Olvera.  No matter how cold it has been there (or might get), it's between -15 grados C and -24 grados C during January, which is why we want to escape.  We hope to spend another two-three weeks in Olvera again each year, either in May or October, depending upon our commitments and airfares from the USA!  Within 4-5 years, we would like to spend 3-4 months each year in Spain and 8-9 months in the USA ... unless, of course, the economy/politics/racial tensions and other ugliness prompts us to pull up stakes here entirely and transport ourselves to Olvera!

--Bruce

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 9:57 PM by cliffs dad Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Bruce,

are you all set for your trip? Its going to be hot!!!!!

Bill

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 10:16 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Howdy, Bill.

Nice to hear from you again!  We're in the process of finalizing everything for our home purchase -- NIE, opening bank account, drawing up contract, etc., etc. -- in anticipation for our arrival 20/8 in Olvera.  We understand that it's been unbelievably hot there of late ... and that it's typically even hotter in August. :-(  At the top of our shopping list -- before coffee pot, kitchen utensils, even towels and wash clothes -- is a portable room-size air conditioner!!!!!

We do have a car rented; we've made arrangements to stay at the beautiful local B&B for two nights; we've made a list of things we'll need to purchase while there; and we're wondering how we are going to adjust to sleeping in during the days somewhat, so can stay up nights for la feria.

Are you folks looking forward to your visit?  How long do you plan to stay this time?

--Bruce

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 6:30 PM by cliffs dad Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Bruce,

Sorry I've not got back to you but I've had a pretty heavy workload. Also I've been waiting for the forum administrator to come back to me because wanted to give you my email address,but you can't send a private message without their approval !!! I think it would be easier, don't you? As soon as i get their go ahead I will let you know. Hope all is well with you two.

We are really looking forward to our trip, we are driving thru France and then Spain. Leaving England on the 24th Aug and getting to Olvera on the 26th.

take care and I'll be in touch soon,

Bill

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 9:00 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Thanks, Bill.

Will look forward to hearing from you ... and, hopefully, meeting up in Olvera.  We'll be there at the same time.

My direct e-mail is: profinracine@yahoo.com

--Bruce

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Olvera, Anyone? - 7 posts
damaged casued by leaks from above apartment - 3 posts
Problem -Selling a share of my property - 3 posts
Mortgage Advice Needed Please - 3 posts
Tim Davey - 7 posts
Recommendation for a Pool Surround - 5 posts
Picking up a cruise ship in Malaga - 1 posts
How to get involved in property management? - 0 posts
Health Care in Spain - 1 posts
Is 3.4% reasonable for a mortgage these days ? - 9 posts
Outlook Express HELP!! - 5 posts
BMIBaby have cancelled flights - 16 posts
Dacion en Pago Query!! - 6 posts
Dacion en Pago Query - 2 posts
Calling Gibraltar from a Spanish mobile - 2 posts
Legal help sought - Car access to own property - legal right in Spain? - 4 posts
Interesting read - 3 posts
car hire malaga - 2 posts
any up to date photos ?? - 16 posts
ARE YOU LIABLE FOR FINES OWED ON A CAR YOU PURCHASE IN SPAIN? - 14 posts
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A LAWYER? - 1 posts
Looking to rent a 3 bed flat in Gibraltar - 0 posts
Licence of first occupation - 3 posts
Furniture - 0 posts
ESTELLENCS - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x