Olvera, Anyone?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Hola.

We just purchased a small (55m2) townhouse in Olvera ... Cadiz province ... as a vacation "bolt" for now and, later, a pied a terre while we look for a larger, more permanent residence.  Question(s): Is anyone here familiar with Olvera?  Have any suggestions for us about places (not) to patronize, etc.  With the horrible heat, one of our first purchases -- hopefully -- will be a portable air conditioner.  Can someone suggest a place (we'll be flying in/out of Malaga and making some purchases at IKEA in Malaga) where we can buy one?  About how much do they cost?  We're only looking for a unit to cool off our master bedroom ... probably about 25m2.  Thanks for any and all input!

Like 0      
22 Jul 2009 9:34 PM by cliffs dad Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi, we have been going to Andalucia for a number of years and have a house in Olvera for 3 years. We found it to be a beautiful town and wouldnt live anywhere else.  You can buy air conditioning units in Olvera, shop opposite the bus station and on the industrial park and other electrical shops.  There are several good restaurants and bars, Juanita Gomez, Lirios just to name a few.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2009 9:48 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Thanks so much!  Glad to hear you like Olvera.  Care to share anything of your background?  We're from the midwest USA (midpoint between Chicago and Milwaukee) and are seeking to escape the horrid winters here.  We will be in Olvera 8/19-9/2 to finalize our purchase and do what needs to be done to spruce the place up a bit.  What made you choose Olvera?  Do you live there full-time?  Did you work with Olvera Properties on your purchase?  Apologies for all the questions ... but I'm amazed to have received a reply and so quickly at that!  Gracias, paisano.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2009 10:00 PM by cliffs dad Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi, we live in Engalnd, but i was brought up in the States. I know about the winters up there. I lived in Minnesota for a couple of years, at Lake of the Woods, but spent most of my time in Arizona, so Spain is very much like there. We bought our property through Olvera Properties, they were very good. We are seriously working on moving to Spain, but the way things are at the way things are at the moment has slowed us down. Did you know that you are in Olvera  during Feria? We are there at the same time!

Like 0      
22 Jul 2009 10:23 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Yes, we've been following Alan's Olvera Diary (blog) and corresponding with him via e-mail ... so we've learned that we will be there during the feria.  Hopefully, the weather will be more tolerable then than now although we hear that it's even hotter in August! :-(  Spoiled Americans that we are, that's why I asked about the air conditioner.  Where in Olvera is your place?  Ours is still posted as "under offer" on the Olvera Properties web site.  It's a small (55m2), three-level place that's just large enough for us now.  We expect to be making a couple of trips to Ikea in Malaga to purchase some furnishings that the place desperately needs.  We've rented an auto (how expensive that is now!) so we intend to hit as many market days in nearby towns as possible.  For the first couple of days, we will be staying at the b&b--we arrive on 20/8, finalize the purchase on 21/8, and then go shopping for some needed items before lodging ourselves in our own place.  Really glad to meet you, even virtually! :-)

--Bruce (Jonah's dad)

Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 7:49 PM by cliffs dad Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Bruce,

Our house is down at the bottom end of the town near the fountian. I had a look on Olvera Properties but cound't see your house. Whats it called? I don't know where the IKEA in Malaga is but we've been to the one in Seville and thats quite good. I guess they are all very much the same. I'm afraid you've hit peak time to hire a car over in Spain, thats why we are driving over this time. We have a load of things to bring over, so it made sense to drive. We are going to drive through France and then Spain, there is no hurry so it should takes us 2 days. Which B&B are you staying in?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Bill & Pauline

Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 8:16 PM by profinracine Star rating in Racine, Wisconsin ...... 27 posts Send private message

profinracine´s avatar

Hola, Bill and Pauline (& Cliff, no?),

Our casita is located at 27 Calle de la Gardunera.  On the Olvera Properties web site, it's known as "Sweet Hideaway" and is listed for 42,000 euros.  It's their reference Z122.  It's also still listed on kyero (dot) com using the same z122 reference.

According to its web site, IKEA in Malaga is right around the airport there.  Zoe, the sales manager at Olvera Properties, just helped us to arrange for someone with a van to accompany us there on our major shopping excursion.  The 80 euros charge for a round-trip use of the van + "manpower" seems worth it to us.

We have hired a car through "Record Go," the lowest-priced offer we were able to find anywhere on the Internet: 330 euros gives us a Hyundai Getz, 3 doors with air conditioning for 13 days.  That price is at least 120 euros lower than the next lowest cost vehicle rental.  I'm a bit skeptical, but the company did send me a confirmation notice with all the pertinent facts, figures and details.

I look forward to hearing back from you with any suggestions, ideas, and/or questions as we learn our way around the area! :-)

Perhaps we can meet up for a meal, some tapas or vino once we're all in Olvera?

Saludos amistosos,

--Bruce

Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 8:34 PM by cliffs dad Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Bruce,

I've just had a look at your place on the net, very nice! I think its a good idea getting the van and help. You can follow them to IKEA. I think at this time of year you won't get a hire car any cheaper, so thats not to bad as it goes. When you book a car online thats all you get untill you get there, so thats normal. It would be nice to meet up, so we will have to keep in touch. Have you been to Olvera? It is a beautiful part of the world.

Take care,

Bill

ps - Cliff is my German Shorthaired Pointer!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

damaged casued by leaks from above apartment - 3 posts
Problem -Selling a share of my property - 3 posts
Mortgage Advice Needed Please - 3 posts
Tim Davey - 7 posts
Recommendation for a Pool Surround - 5 posts
Picking up a cruise ship in Malaga - 1 posts
How to get involved in property management? - 0 posts
Health Care in Spain - 1 posts
Is 3.4% reasonable for a mortgage these days ? - 9 posts
Outlook Express HELP!! - 5 posts
BMIBaby have cancelled flights - 16 posts
Dacion en Pago Query!! - 6 posts
Dacion en Pago Query - 2 posts
Calling Gibraltar from a Spanish mobile - 2 posts
Legal help sought - Car access to own property - legal right in Spain? - 4 posts
Interesting read - 3 posts
car hire malaga - 2 posts
any up to date photos ?? - 16 posts
ARE YOU LIABLE FOR FINES OWED ON A CAR YOU PURCHASE IN SPAIN? - 14 posts
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A LAWYER? - 1 posts
Looking to rent a 3 bed flat in Gibraltar - 0 posts
Licence of first occupation - 3 posts
Furniture - 0 posts
ESTELLENCS - 1 posts
Hi - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x