Question for Maria re " credit contra de la masa "

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jun 2009 12:00 AM by MAGICMEG Star rating in Scotland. 546 posts Send private message

Hi Maria Hope you are well .  I have  a rather complicated question I would like to know your opinion on ,

When a building company is in concurso/administration and the judge is deciding on which level of credit (without a hearing ,as in this case the judge has said no hearing ,the judge will decide ) what are the chances of him deciding that purchasers of off plan property will be credit against the mass . first line creditors ? is it unheard of ? has it ever happened before ? 

Will the judge  take any laws or circumstances into account when making this decision ? for instance consumer law  ( if the property was being purchased by an individual as a holiday or permanent  home ? ie consumer law )

Would it make a difference if the property was being purchased by a company or business  or if many properties were being bought as a business venture to sell on at a profit ?

In short what will the judge base his judgement on ? perhaps it is like the UK where only government get this classification ie Tax ,vat , banks etc .

Thank you Maria as always your opinion is very valued and much appreciated      MM

PS in the case of a few builders in administration we will know the answer to this soon ,I just wondered what your thoughts are Thank you

This message was last edited by MAGICMEG on 03/06/2009.

Nothing surprises me anymore  

but I am willing to accept that sometimes (although not very often ) I can be  wrong !

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 6:40 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Magicmeg:

There is a phase of the Creditor´s meeting procedure where a " convenio" ( agreemena) is presented to creditors. That is the moment to chellenge if you consider your credit has not been duly recognised or classified.

Decission of the judge is based on the Creditor´s meeting Act itself where there are criteria provisions for the clasification of credits. Correspondent challenges by creditors need to be based on same Law, alleguing an incorrect classification/ quantification of credits.

Accordong to the Creditor´s meeting Act, regular credits ( not under the special rules of the creditor´s meeting) are, among other ones,  those credits  which derive from pending contracts or from restitution/compensation obligations out of  voluntary or obligatory ( by breach) cancellation.

Consumers Law and the fact of the creditor being an individual or a company does not have an impact here. 

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 12:03 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

Have you heard of, or had any legal success, with purchasers who fall into the category, where for example thay have won the first instance decision for breach of contract and are awaiting either a provisional enforcement order or developer's appeal when the developer goes into administration, being successful in their credit being classified as priviledged by the judge?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2009 7:25 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

According to the provision mentioned below:

" those credits  which derive from pending contracts or from restitution/compensation obligations out of  voluntary or obligatory ( by breach) cancellation"

it should be classified as a commun/regular ( out of creditor´s meeting rules) credit.

Have no experience of knowledge of that situation being passed and decided by a Judge so far. These situations ( off plan purchases- creditor´s meeting- new Bankruptcy Act) are very new and it might be that there si still no particular decission in place. I will ask the litigation department on this though.

Best,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Jun 2009 8:50 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the clarification on that Maria. We'll look forward to your findings once you have spoken to the litigation dept.

Bottom line however...... does a common/regular credit (as opposed to a priviledged credit) make it highly unlikely that the succesful first instance decision judgement  against the developer (for breach of contract) would be honoured in terms of return of monies from the developer's estate, as per the judgement, once the developer has gone into administration  (i.e.whilst the purchaser was awaiting an enforcement order/developer's appeal)?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2009 11:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Credits against the goods of the company are first to be paid, even before the privileged credits.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Jun 2009 11:07 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks again Maria. Would the provisional enforcement order and developer's appeal, already in the legal system (i.e. awaiting a court hearing/judgement), still proceed in these circumstances where the developer has gone into administration?

Like 0      
06 Jun 2009 3:01 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, they still proceed if action in first instance level was started before the company was approved for Creditor´s Meeting.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BANKINTER RIP OFF WHO DO I CHANGE TO HELP - 7 posts
Building insurance phase 3B - 0 posts
Holiday Rentals - 4 posts
Terrace Furniture Wanted - 3 posts
I'm Looking for a 3 bed detached Property with access to a pool in the Quesada area for long term rent. - 2 posts
Excellent book on the financial side of how to run a community. - 0 posts
Hi everyone - 1 posts
move to the costa blanca - 3 posts
horizontal laws - 4 posts
Long term Property Rental Question... - 6 posts
contact details to pay community fees - 4 posts
Sky TV - new cards coming soon - implications? - 24 posts
Six Month Anniversary - 4 posts
NIE HELP SECTION 2 - 3 posts
FURNITURE PACK-LOWER PRICE & ADDED EXTRAS!!! - 0 posts
Customer Service jobs - Malaga and Granada - 0 posts
Vodafone Dongal - 17 posts
Simusat - 2 posts
Horse Riding in the Condado de Alhama area? - 1 posts
Are there any decent internet providers ??? - 8 posts
WANTED - 0 posts
IKEA MURCIA - 1 posts
Feeeview in Calpe? - 3 posts
Giving up residency - 1 posts
Driving from Norwich, England to Marbella, Spain - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x