Uk bank details asked for?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 May 2009 12:00 AM by DG68 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Can anyone please advise us. We have been ask to give our Uk bank details to our solicitor for completion. We have been told it's incase the notary wants to see the account the money has been taken from (deposit).

Is this normal? We are not keen on giving our Uk bank details over. Also, our solicitor has power of attorney. Any info will be appreciated. 

Like 0      
25 May 2009 10:39 AM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

The only bank details that our solicitor asked for were the newly opened Spanish bank account. That was to set up payments for utilities. Take plenty of advice before you give UK details.

I am sure Maria will be happy to advise- her help is invaluable on this site.

Daveil

Like 0      
25 May 2009 10:48 AM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hi DG68

What I believe is going on here is due to money laundering laws. Ask your solicitor if this is the case. If so I am sure that your UK bank will give you a certificate to show that the money is from legal source. I am not sure why you were asked this.

Enjoy your new home.

Regards.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
25 May 2009 11:22 AM by DG68 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice.

We actually paid the deposit through an exchange company, so I suspect it is to do with money laundering. Our solicitor did mention the money needed to be seen as declared. When you are asked for such important information which we use in the Uk it does make alarm bells ring.

It's good to know the forum is here to help ease the worry.

Like 0      
25 May 2009 11:45 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi DG68

This is perfectly normal for the bank to ask for this and it is indeed as Myra says due to money laundering laws. The bank will want to know the account details of where the money came from, i.e. the account where you sent the funds to the money exchange company.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
25 May 2009 3:03 PM by maverick100 Star rating in Ireland and naranjos.... 81 posts Send private message

Hi all

I was also asked for my irish bank account details to be brought to the notary office when completing, and the notary did look at them, I think they are just trying to clean up their act in spain so they need a paper trail for everything

mark

Like 0      
25 May 2009 5:50 PM by DG68 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Thank you. Glad to hear it is the norm.

We complete tomorrow and so looking forward to picking up those keys!

Like 0      
26 May 2009 8:46 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

DG68:

You are not obligued to give your UK Bank Account to the solcitor for completion.  Regarding money laundering measures, the certificate which is required by the Notary at completion is always made by the Spanish Bank which has received your foreigner funds and no details of UK bank details are needed by the solicitor as the Bank has full track of the transference.

It is very interesting... why do not you ask your solicitors what they want those Bank details for?

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 May 2009 9:44 AM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hello Maria.

Good for you. Up to date and correct information as usual. Thank you spain for lawyer's like yourselves.

Regards.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
26 May 2009 10:13 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You are a sun Myra!

Will you be coming to the EOS party in July? I would love to see you again.... afte one year!

Maria 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 May 2009 10:45 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Good to know Maria - I only speak from experience!   I guess it seems similar to the Life Assurance situation; legally banks cannot force you to take their product - but they do!!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
26 May 2009 12:51 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

the fact that monies come from an exchange company is important in that

the exchange company has the liability of money laundering rules and regulations not the bank / person to whom they are passing the money on to

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

READY RENTAL PROPERTY !!!BEWARE!!! - 20 posts
UK Tax Return - 6 posts
URGENT APPEAL! Please read and help if you can! - 7 posts
Mr @ Mrs L - 0 posts
La Almazara Jalon Alicante - 10 posts
Costa Blanca South guide book - 14 posts
European Elections -Expat Candidate - 8 posts
Camp bed - 0 posts
bmw - 0 posts
Earthquake in Torrevieja - 7 posts
planning a holiday ?? - 4 posts
kids under 11,s football clubs near villa martin area - 0 posts
Finaly! planning our move to spain. - 1 posts
Gibraltar long term rental wanted. 2 beds 800 or under - 2 posts
UNITED GOLF LA TERCIA BRONCHUS SL- UNREASONABLE NEW SNAGGING CONDITIONS - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE - Costa Del Sol UK Reg - 0 posts
accountant - 0 posts
accountant - 0 posts
12 month Euribor recalculation - 7 posts
Outtake TV Eye on Spain Style - 5 posts
Written Sentence - 9 posts
Crystal Rentals - 3 posts
Residency - 3 posts
Selling Furniture In Spain - 4 posts
Spain's Blogger Granny dies at 97 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x