European Elections -Expat Candidate

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2009 12:00 AM by lenox Star rating in Mojácar. 39 posts Send private message

For once, we do have a chance to change things. Those of us who have asked to vote in the European elections will, one hopes, probably show up on the Day (June 7th). We can support the 'usual suspects' (the PP and the PSOE) who have both shown their lack of interest in the Northern European residents of Spain - the 'illegal homes, 'illegal urbanisations' and corrupt local politicians in the PSOE controlled Andalucía (Remember the Priors?), and the 'Land Grab' and other indignities in the PP controlled Valencian Community. One should remember that these two parties stood together (for once) in Brussels against the Auken Report (which voted to threaten to withold European funding from Spain until its 'urban abuse and endemic property corruption' was addressed) .

However, there's an alternative. Europe's third largest group is the Liberal Democrats. Their party in Spain, while small and new, is led by an Expat from Madrid. Sean O'Curneen has an Irish father and a Spanish mother.  He has worked in England and France and now works in Brussels as the Secretary General of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe in the EU Committee of the Regions.

Number 4 on the list for the party, the CDL (Centro Democrático Liberal) is Jacqueline Cotterill, a British long term resident of Spain who is the deputy mayor of Parcent (Alicante) and member of the AUN - instigators of the Auken Report.

Vote CDL     

Like 0      
27 May 2009 5:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just had a load of propaganda from the Usual Suspects today. The PSOE actually went to the trouble of translating it all into English, as well, which impressed me, but not enough to win my vote neccesarily.

It's a shame the CDL can't find a way to directly canvass the ex-pat population, as they could be able to persuade a lot of apathetics (like me) to actually bother voting at all. Or maybe you're working for them by posting on here and similar forums? If so, good idea!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 May 2009 5:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

More about Sean O'Curneen here: www.sean2009.es/

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 May 2009 6:50 PM by lenox Star rating in Mojácar. 39 posts Send private message

I'm both a writer/journo and a long-time resident in Spain. I have also worked in local politics, both locally in Mojácar and with Ciudadanos Europeos and the AUN (viz. the Auken Report). So I was very interested to find Sean O'Curneen - an 'extranjero' - as head-of-list on a party (and, better still, a sensible party at that!).

So, it's a modest campaign but there is the chance (for once) to consider the issues which interest the foreign residents living in Spain.  There is a 'round-table' meeting in Mojácar this Saturday 30th May (Hotel Best, from 11.00am) to discuss the Auken Report with various grass-roots associations, the Greens and a couple of politicians - Sean will also be there. Should be interesting!

I'll write it up afterwards on www.theentertaineronline.com

This message was last edited by lenox on 27/05/2009.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 4:45 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

On the subject of the European elections, can anyone advise if it is legal in Spain for the ruling party to use the Town Hall email service to promote the current party in power? 

I keep getting emails from the town hall telling me to vote for the PP and I really object to them using my money in this way.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 5:32 PM by lenox Star rating in Mojácar. 39 posts Send private message

No they can't. You could always resend one on to the local PSOE or Bloc.

There should also be no advertising within 50 metres of the polling station on Sunday, although party officials can wear their badges as they float around glaring at each other.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 5:42 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Thanks Lenox - will do that!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 5:42 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Thanks Lenox - will do that!

Like 0      
13 Jun 2009 3:05 PM by alamred Star rating. 242 posts Send private message

does any one have contact numbers for jaqui cotterill and sean o'curneed.

we are stuck in a trap with a crooked spanish developer and a crooked bank (cam bank) who have stolen several million onf clinets deposits.

i was in spain last week and both these individuals indicated in costa lameria news that they are taking up fight against the corrupt spanish system. i would like to call them

thanks in advance

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Camp bed - 0 posts
bmw - 0 posts
Earthquake in Torrevieja - 7 posts
planning a holiday ?? - 4 posts
kids under 11,s football clubs near villa martin area - 0 posts
Finaly! planning our move to spain. - 1 posts
Gibraltar long term rental wanted. 2 beds 800 or under - 2 posts
UNITED GOLF LA TERCIA BRONCHUS SL- UNREASONABLE NEW SNAGGING CONDITIONS - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE - Costa Del Sol UK Reg - 0 posts
accountant - 0 posts
accountant - 0 posts
12 month Euribor recalculation - 7 posts
Outtake TV Eye on Spain Style - 5 posts
Written Sentence - 9 posts
Crystal Rentals - 3 posts
Residency - 3 posts
Selling Furniture In Spain - 4 posts
Spain's Blogger Granny dies at 97 - 0 posts
snagging - 5 posts
Electric Problems - 0 posts
Spanish Court Corruption - Whats the next move? - 5 posts
transferring car ownership - 1 posts
problems with yahoo. - 3 posts
Global World Services - 1 posts
Palacios Mar and Limon Mar - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x