Is TV on your PC really possible?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by Pete Whitaker Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I have heard rumours about being able to watch TV channels on a home computer. Is this possible?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 7:30 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

yes.

generally tho you can only watch tv on your pc for the country you are connecting to tghe net in..ie if you are in spain only spanish channels, if you are in the uk only uk channels, as the broadcasters software detects your IP address and rejects IP addresses outside the country, thus keeping to the relevant copyright and broadcast contracts they have to adhere to.

there are many free on line tv stations around...NASA TV for one...

if you want to watch UK TV onthe net in Spain you will need to get around the IP issue - either a proxy server, something like hidemyip software (i think thats what it is  called) or something like VPNtunnel (i htink this is what it is called), where you connect to their uk server and the software thinks you are connecting from the uk.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 9:25 AM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

Use Hide My IP.  We get BBC, ITV, C4 & C5 through that software from any country as we travel through - Internet connection permitting of course.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 1:12 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Flog-it

Nice one!

Very interesting!

Shall take a look-see later.

Yes! Very interesting!!!!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 1:32 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

You can watch programmes through iplayer  .  I watched Damages and the 1st Ladies Detective Agency last night - Heros last week so if you want selective programmes and they are on iplayer then technically you are watching TV programmes on your computer . Channel 4 programmes are great as you can watch a whole series back to back . My daughter  does not have a TV oin her room as she says she does not need one ??   The quality is not so good but what the heck?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 1:45 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We use

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 1:49 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We use VPNUK (www.vpnuk.info) which costs just over £8 per month at the current exchange rate.  Sometimes watching programmes online is a bit hit and miss (we assume that is due to our internet link), however it does allow you to download programmes using iplayer, and then it all works perfectly for us.

Sue

PS Sometimes the laptop thinks it knows better than us - hence it decided to post earlier before I had finished typing!

This message was last edited by suemac on 4/21/2009.

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 11:21 AM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Paul at http://www.televisiontechnology.eu/ has just set up links to fre on line tv

also a company called http://www.britishtvabroad.com/

Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 2:40 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Now this thread is becoming a fountain of knowledge for people wanting to watch UK TV in Spain and other countries.

Keep it up everyone.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 3:04 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

Starting to forget which blog/thread I am replying to.... Must be the vino.

Anyway if you don't need UK tv you can always try www.sharetv.org mostly usa series and again you may need an IP spoofer to get some channels.

Cheers.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 7:35 PM by Kev K Star rating in Cork, Ireland, Olivi.... 141 posts Send private message

Kev K´s avatar

Hi people

Sorry proxy dead. apologies 

Edited message, spelling was terrible

This message was last edited by Kev K on 4/22/2009.

This message was last edited by Kev K on 4/23/2009.

Like 0      
04 May 2009 5:55 PM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar

The way forward?

www.eutelsat.com    www.tooway.net

Like 0      
08 May 2009 2:14 PM by Pete Whitaker Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Lot's of good ideas. Thanks. I'm checking them all out.

Also, what is the minimum bandwidth requirements for doing this kind of thing? Anybody know?

Like 0      
10 May 2009 7:21 PM by Tom2009 Star rating in Axarquia. 11 posts Send private message

Tom2009´s avatar

We are also using VPNUK service and found it to be cheap and reliable, using their shared plan.

It allows you to view all the normally restricted UK, US and Canadian sites.

We are living in the US right now, moving to Spain in October and will probably continue to use it there.

Tried different alternatives before and found this to be the best.

Like 0      
27 May 2009 5:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Here's a couple more interesting links:

http://www.mediahopper.com/  select the country from the left hand menu, then choose a channel; this one has 38 from the UK, not so many you'd actually want though! (fine for news channels)

http://www.aelling-online-tv.dk/  only seems to work with Internet Explorer; again, only really offering basic news channels, although you can also get National Geographic in English from Netherlands, for example, and no doubt plenty of German adult entertainment!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 27/05/2009.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 May 2009 5:46 PM by Tedjusant Star rating in Shropshire/Rojales. 19 posts Send private message

Tedjusant´s avatar

Yes, I can get it on my laptop wireless through to my pc in next room.

Like 0      
28 May 2009 8:05 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

you can also have a look at

http://www.filmon.com/tv/index.php

which is a internet tv streaming serives, and is currently providing access to all 5 main uk tv channels.

the software is currently in beta testing, and so subscription may be required at a later date, and maybe they will improve their IP address security to block non uk residents....

but for now with a decent download speed you can get high quality full screen uk tv on your pc for free...

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
08 Sep 2009 6:25 PM by colinbotterman Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I found this service aimed at the expat comunity here in Spain uktvinspain.net.Service is good, you need a broadband connection. I have linked my pc to our tv via lead we got on ebay. Works good.Web site is useful for linking to all the channels as well.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2009 2:18 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Thanks to  satandpcguy i now get all UK tv programs om my PC which I can link to my TV he provided the link http://www.filmon.com/tv/index.php ad it is brilliant

Thanks again for good advice

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Barclays Sabi - 2 posts
Number of posts - 5 posts
'C' Bar in Duquesa - 28 posts
Weather in June in Alicante - 6 posts
learning spanish - 3 posts
jive alive with jukebox - 0 posts
Check if your lawyer is registered - 7 posts
Car Hire - 4 posts
To warm your heart today ...................... - 4 posts
yellie38 - 3 posts
Vet near Madrid - 0 posts
Driving age in spain - 4 posts
Driving with pets - 1 posts
I do hope Mr O Leary of ryanair doesn't read this - 9 posts
good restaurants in Villamartin, Orihuella, San Miguel..? - 5 posts
Rudina web site - 3 posts
Jake Van Kralingen - 1 posts
Tony Gatehouse - 2 posts
our sky box - 8 posts
Accommodation and Conference Facilities - Costa Brava - 0 posts
Vulnerable Adults Charities - Are there any in Spain? - 2 posts
Looking to buy a scooter - 0 posts
Apartment long term rental advice please! - 2 posts
Where are my messeges going???? - 5 posts
Don Juan III - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x