Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2009 00:00 by gazzyboi Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

hey guys

seen a lot of people with questions about transfering money overseas. the problem is, it can usually take a while weather its a cheque or a international transfer, sometimes expensive too.

now, dont get my wrong im not a fan of this comany at all but what they do does work.

Lets say you have a spanish and an english bank account and want to keep trasfering from one to another right?

Easiest and Cheapest way = PayPal

When i started mine i had to have two accounts as the english one didnt let you add spanish bank accounts, that might have changed. If not though, despite a few verification processes, all seems very easy and hastle free.

The charges depend on the amount and the type of account you have, i would reccommend a premier account.

hope this helps anyone in need of differnt soloution :)

Alex

Like 0 Dislike 0       | Dislike
24 Apr 2009 12:12 by goldwing Star rating in Near Alicante. 63 posts Send private message

paypal is very expensive & use poor exchange rates.

i would not use them for this, also if you want money into a spanish bank it can take 5 working days from leaving paypal before you see the money again.

its only the UK who charge stupid amounts for sending money.

my spanish bank account I can send money to any bank in any country on the same day and it only cost 2 euros.

29 Apr 2009 16:56 by benan Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

pay pal is a rip off, think they take something like 2.5 cents off the rate when buying euros. have invested over the years quite often in spain and always use a currency broker. not the one on this site but one that gives me really good tight rates.

24 Feb 2010 12:38 by whufc48 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

If you are making regular foreign currency payments to spain I find the best way to get the most preferrable deal is to use the comparison site SendMoneyHome.org

21 Feb 2011 17:50 by woodycurtain Star rating in south wales. 123 posts Send private message

woodycurtain´s avatar

Does anybody use Smart Currency Exchange ?

Their rates seem better than Moneycorp, is there a catch?

Woody

21 Feb 2011 18:18 by perce Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Hi

Just transfered a hugh sum of money through smart currency in january, went without a hitch, very proffesional and kept me updated throughout, they also gave me the best rates out of the 3 currency firms i contacted.

Would certainly use them again, if you send me a private message i can give you contact details.

The payment was the 70% owing for an off plan property.

Dave

23 Mar 2011 13:40 by emmaline3 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have had a great experience transferring a large sum of money from EUR to GBP and thought that I should share it here. I did a lot of research and I found a company called SAT Worldwide (based in the UK) who offered me a really good rate, assigned me my own contact person who explained everything to me in detail. It was an easy, no problem transaction. 

20 Apr 2011 10:55 by nuriadelao Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

As per comment from user emmaline3,  I too have used this company Sat Worldwide.

I am Spanish, married to an English man and we often need to exchange currencies because we live both in Spain and sometimes UK.

I used the company above twice.  I found that they were very helpful and I believe I received a good rate of exchange for my transaction.

I would recommend them to all.

Nuria Delao-Watson.

20 Apr 2011 11:05 by mgk Star rating in Penthouse 2. 242 posts Send private message

mgk´s avatar

I always use Smart Currency Exchange, never had a problem

www.condadoelectricalservices.com        condadoes@live.co.uk

tel.605 832  795

21 Apr 2011 12:18 by johnnie1uk Star rating. 100 posts Send private message

My experience - Large amount to transfer from UK account to Spanish bank, arranged with the bank manager in Spain to open a euro account, gave him a UK sterling cheque for the amount . on the spot, he then checked the interbank rate and gave me .002c below that rate for the exchange.. You cant beat that. as the currency exchanges are normally at least .03c below and that can make a lot of difference.

Talk to your Bank manager

20 May 2011 17:38 by johnperez Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

There is this facebook thing about mid-market rate for GBP/EUR for a "happy hour" that got my attention. Type in RationalFX on facebook dunno if anyone heard of them?? I usually use my bank to transfer money but I hear I can save money using FX broker, I am gonna have a look at Money Corp and Smart Currency Exchange aswell, thanks!

19 Aug 2011 11:57 by Jan Biddulph Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Removed at Poster's request**

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 19/11/2012.

19 Aug 2011 13:24 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 3128 posts Send private message

My son (a self employed chartered accountant in UK) has used HIFX a few time. They did a good job, fast, very competitive, very good exchange rates etc.

PS before my son used them he made comprehensive enquiries into their financial reliability, and was satisfied

PPS, Agree with comment about Pay Pal very expensive when you look at the amount you pay compared with the amount to receive after all charges. Pretty much the same with Western Union. Convenient but expensive !

31 Oct 2011 16:54 by mikelord Star rating in Roda. 150 posts Send private message

I have transferred currencies many times over the years & until recently always used HiFX which were always very good. However I now recommend theFXfirm, they invariably offer the best rates & no fees, around 4% more than using your bank. Mention my name & they will look after you.

Mike Lord

Michael Lord

www.HealthandBeautyAbroad.com

26 May 2012 19:50 by TamaraEssex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 496 posts Send private message

TamaraEssex´s avatar

Hi all - there are so many threads about this, but I just wanted to say that I've read everyone's experiences, and researched bank charges and money exchange companies, and in the end for my house purchase I went with MoneyCorp.  Because I'm an Eye on Spain member they have waived the charges, and I'm getting (today)  1.24 euros to my pound, with no deductions at either end, and absolutely no charges of any kind.  I think that's pretty unbeatable.  One solitary centimo below the inter-bank rate.

Blog of a newbie settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

27 May 2012 11:02 by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 224 posts Send private message

As already stated you should not just accept what you are offered from 1 source. Whenever I move money I ask what rate several companies offer and then go back to my U.K. bank and ask them if they will match the best rate. They always do but charge around £10.00 for the transaction. I am prepared to accept this small charge as I am not taking any chance with liquidity of the companies mentioned on here or elsewhere. It all boils down to not just accepting what is their first offer but haggling over the rate. If the company wants your business they will haggle if they don't then maybe you should not give them your business

09 Jun 2012 04:13 by rockinrodders Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

I've always used www.worldfirst.com

I work in the Cayman Islands and frequently send money back to the UK and to spain and also from the UK to Spain. Somebody on this forum recommended moneycorp and I did try to sign up but found it a very time consuming process to open an account as they wanted to mail passwordsa and me to call and give security words etc and being overseas working this was very difficult. After a little research I found Worldfirst and opened an account and managed to get verified online without the need for all the postal and extra verifications. When I was up and running I always checked the rates to moneycorp, my own bank Natwest and a couple of other FX companies and found worldfirst were beating their rates by over 1% which is a big difference when I was sending large sums to buy my property and lay down deposits etc.

When I send from my UK account it usually hits my Spanish Santander account next day. When I send from my Cayman Account it is usually 2 days.

For smaller amounts (under a couple of grand I think) they do add a fee of about 10 quid or something but again I found this was standard across all money transfer companies and after a lot of research found them coming out cheapest.

They are usually very responsive if you need to contact them and can be helpful if you have issues setting up ibans or NICs etc.

And no I don't work for them or have any stake, before anyone asks!

17 Nov 2013 13:02 by selseyboy Star rating in Selsey,West sussex. 10 posts Send private message

Hi I have used GCEN Global currency Exchange Network 
 I have just had a look and they currently offer 1.194 but this is updated every 30 minutes. Have done several transactions with them with absolutely no problems.

However I now do it direct from my UK bank to my Spanish Bank - Banco Sabadel as they offer a hassle free monthly transfer. It takes a few days and for £500 I am getting 580 - 590 euros every month.

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread
Share it!

Previous Threads

Driving with pets - 1 posts
I do hope Mr O Leary of ryanair doesn't read this - 9 posts
good restaurants in Villamartin, Orihuella, San Miguel..? - 5 posts
Rudina web site - 3 posts
Jake Van Kralingen - 1 posts
Tony Gatehouse - 2 posts
Medsea Estates - 15 posts
our sky box - 8 posts
Accommodation and Conference Facilities - Costa Brava - 0 posts
Vulnerable Adults Charities - Are there any in Spain? - 2 posts
Looking to buy a scooter - 0 posts
Apartment long term rental advice please! - 2 posts
Where are my messeges going???? - 5 posts
Don Juan III - 9 posts
Barcelona Chelsea 28th April - 3 posts
Freesat if old Sky box is playing up? - 28 posts
Does anybody have the direct access number to telefonicas voicemail system? - 2 posts
Party Caterers - 1 posts
How to Hide Caller ID ?? - 3 posts
Changing building insurance - 4 posts
English MOT and English road tax - 61 posts
Globespan No Scottish Winter flights to Alicante - 3 posts
Confused with flight prices... - 6 posts
Tenants belongings - 2 posts
Hello!! Any advice appreciated.... - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

Compare car hire in Spain