Monarch increase hold baggage price!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

We flew over 2 weeks ago from Gatwick and paid £7.99 for a hold bag

Today, the charge is £9.99

Will the Ryanair loo charge be next for Monarch?!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 5:33 PM by milli Star rating in Cheshire/ Formentera.... 65 posts Send private message

It was £8.99 the other day, so it's gone up again

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 6:04 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

They charge £11.99 per bag from Birmingham.  Well, they will in August as I was trying to book to take the grandkids over.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 7:40 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

How can that vary from airport to airport?

That is not fair surely

Lets start a petition against Monarch!!!

North Vs South on prices!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 10:17 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Think of a number, multiply by another number, divde by the difference between the first two numbers then apply a route factor as described in our baggage policy....

Link to Monarch Hold Baggage Charges...

Basically they will do whatever they please, whenever they please, then when all the flights are booked to over 90% capacity remove the flight from operation without consultation...just like all the rest really...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 10:25 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Ooooooooo Foxbat, you are awful, but I like you!

You are sooooo right!

Up one minute, down the next, just to suit the times.........

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 10:58 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Fibby...just telling it the way I see it...

When Monarch pulled the Gatwick-Granada service I put on my best Victor Meldrew hat and sent them an email.They replied with a load of statistics to show that the service was not economical when compared with the Gatwick-Malaga route...What they didn't do was to explain that they pulled the service because the Granada & Jaen Chambers of Commerce were not prepared to up the ante in their support and subsidies of the flights. Having just paid Ryan their blood money (bribes) they couldn't afford to...

Monarch then retimed the flight to depart LGW at 0630...which meant checking in at 0430 long before the trains from the south coast were even awake...so passengers were faced with either an overnight stay at Gatwick or a long and expensive taxi-ride...

Traffic not surprisingly fell off so they put up the fares to compensate for the loss in numbers. Surprise, surpise traffic fell even more so Monarch did what Ryan did at Fuerteventura and Blackpool and other places (?) and just cancelled the services and to hell with the customers.

On the last day of the service the flight from Gatwick to Granada was £3, but from Granada back to Gatwick was £273; what kind of accounting is that?

I haven't been back to the UK since I arrived here in 2006 but my wife goes back on a regular basis; since I do the bookings for her guess which airline doesnt get included in the options...Since the only viable route options are Malaga - Gatwick / Southampton / Bournemouth there is a lot of choice but in my book it doesn't include Monarch...

All any of these airlines have to do is come up with an all-inclusive price for a route; fare, taxes and baggage. If people want the flight they will use it; if not they will go elsewhere; lets have a return to normality in airline pricing...

Victor is still alive and well...!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
10 Apr 2009 11:24 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Victor,

If your long suffering wife (I know she is cos I have seen the series), could have stayed at my abode, 25 mins from LGW.......

I could have got 'er there in the Del Boy 3 wheeler in time for that early morning take off.......................

But...............there ya go,

Oweva, I do know what you mean..................

I have a flight that "takes off" (if on time, ha ha !), at 06.55 soon.................

Wos that a typo?

Nope, just checked........so moi, has to be there at 04.55..............mmmmmmm!!!!

But....it WAS cheap and I am only 25 mins away from LGW barring sheep or cows on the M25/23

So, should I be grateful to Monarch?

No, I am not!

If they included a free champagne breakfast, sleep eye pads, newspapers, free extra leg room, hunky male to sleep on his shoulder..................I would be happy.....................

But, for this price, I will do it, grudgingly

They have you by the short & curlies ( and I am not a Mexican)

Well, not the last time I could actually get a glimpse...............must diet...............!!!!

Happy Flying...........

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Apr 2009 8:36 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

just watched a bit of breakfast tv i the uk-chap on from the airports authority explaining that they need more money due to increased security measures and because all their contracts with airlines are on a fixed price!

funny one as i didnt see them giving back shedloads when they were making millions over the last five years!

I have had my own business for 20+yrs and when costs rise could i possibly just tell all my clients the price was going up?...........Dont think so!

I also thought the government had bought in something last year stating that all "cheap flights" had to show an all inclusive price?

A tip: look at ej flights from gatwick to gib as along with ryan airs from stantead to jerez they do not see that well known and i have always had decent prices on both

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2009 10:49 AM by milli Star rating in Cheshire/ Formentera.... 65 posts Send private message

I booked last week to go to Murcia in May, baggage was £8.99.

Looked this morning, it's £11.99!!!

Will have to diet fast & wear lots of clothes, like flying with Ryanair

Like 0      
11 Apr 2009 12:28 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

I am a fan of Monarch -  I am a gold card  frequent flyer so get the benefit of priority check in desk at the airport - no long queues.  Then I can sit comfortably in the VIP lounge with food and drink provided free whilst waiting for the flight and I book the extra legroom seats in advance for free.  I live just a very short drive from the airport so can turn up last minute and most times have a hassle free pleasant journey.  Furthermore I collect points each time I fly which every so often gives me a free flight.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2009 4:17 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

I too am a monarch card holder however sadly their pricing is often way above other airllines.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 11:44 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

I too have had the gold card for three years, but sadly, as stated, their prices are getting ridiculous compared to other airlines, so now, I just go for the one which has the best timings/prices to suit me at the time. As an example, I booked a BMIbaby flight to go in Sept 09 for two weeks cost was £36 each return - compared to similiar flight timings and dates - Monarch came out at £140 each, so basically all four of us are going with BMIbaby for the same price as just one of us with Monarch - no brainer! And yes, much as I love the VIP lounge, dedicated check in and extra leg room, the flight is only a couple of hours long - all that extra money saved goes towards the cost of the Euros to spend on holiday!

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 5:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Is that BMI from Manchester carolandrichard? I notice that you are in W Yorkshire too and we use Leeds but are limited from LBA to Jet2 really into Murcia. I have considered travelling from Manchester if the prices made it worthwhile.

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 8:03 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

No, its East Midlands airport, slightly further away from us than Manchester, but we can do it in one hour and a quarter so still ok, and at those prices you can't go wrong. Particularly as BMIbaby go into Almeria from East Midlands. Definately worth checking out. We just booked some more for the May Day Bank Holiday, £64 each return. Monarch was double!

Carol

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 5:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks Carol. I have flown from EMA with the Irish airline before as sometimes school holidays are different in Derbyshire to Yorkshire and there are some big savings to be made.  Shall look into BMI (only been to Ireland with them) and Almeria as I haven't flown into there yet .

Mark

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 5:27 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Almeria's a much nicer airport, and quicker too to Vera Playa, only takes about 50 mins straight up the E15. Also the BMIbaby flights into Almeria are morning so much nicer than arriving late at night. And when you leave from almeria airport there's a lovely sun terrace upstairs so you can get the last couple of hours of sunshine before you head back home!

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 7:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

WOW!!!!! Just looked at EMA to LEI for next week when we go with Jet2. £90 cheaper!!!! Take into account the diesel and parking and we stil save over £30! Not so lucky for the summer dates though as they are £100 more expensive.  Well worth looking to use in future though.

**Sorry the thread has taken a wrong turn along the line**    

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

pool safety - 3 posts
Can I withhold some of my community fees? - 1 posts
PLEASE HELP RE CANNOT ACCESS E-MAILS FROM YAHOO - 10 posts
Advice required re non completion of amenities. Can we withdraw from contract due to this? - 18 posts
Bankruptcy check estate agent /developer - 1 posts
Interested in exchanging? We are searching for a property on the Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Interested in exchanging? We are searching for a property on the Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Certificate of habitation - 8 posts
I need a 3 bed and 2 bed Estepona to Manilva - 3 posts
Expired ITV Help! - 6 posts
Directions to Torremolinas please - 5 posts
PROBLEMS WITH YAHOO. - 3 posts
Items for Sale - 0 posts
Happy Easter EOS - 5 posts
MAYMAR RESTAURANT, CATRAL - 2 posts
Modelo 212 - 11 posts
Driving Ban - 26 posts
Londoner - Barclays Spain - 9 posts
Mercury.es anyone have any good experiences etc? - 0 posts
price reduction confortlin eco flax bedding equestrian direct spain - 0 posts
Not exactly Flights to Spain... - 1 posts
Simulsat V Torresat - 7 posts
Medsea Estate Agents - 10 posts
Easyjet winter flights are out, check ........... - 2 posts
whos name to put the property in??? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x