Changing your postal address NIE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Apparently no one ever moves in Spain because I have been looking in vain for some basic information on how to change your address on your NIE.

Does anyone have any idea on what is involved in changing your address on your NIE?

Everything else (buying a car, transferring ownership, getting a pardon etc) but it seems no one ever moves!!!!!

We are moving and at the same time buying a second car. We will use the same gestoria who put our car on Spanish plates to do our new car, the pardon I can do myself (well with the help of someone who speaks Spanish) But the NIE I'm lost

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 9:58 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Rob,

When I got mine in Estepona, I was told by the lady there that you don´t ever need to change your address on your NIE.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 2:24 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Rob - I agree with David - there is no need to change the adress on it as it is a lifetime number. 

I just obtained NIEs for Irish clients of mine and they have our Remax office address printed on them.  The rule seems to be that there must be a Spanish adress on the application form and, since my clients haven't moved here yet, they accepted our office details, which then ended up being printed on the certificate.

You do need to change Residencia and Padron when you move as they relate to the area you live in.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 5:15 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The only address I would pay atention to always have updated is the one in the registred  certificate as an EU Resident (certificado de registro) .This document certifies  residence in Spain and states name, address, nationality, and the foreigners tax identification or  NiE number along with date of registration.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 3/3/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 7:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

So, presumably just go to the same place you got your useless certificate and go through the motions all over? Another 6 a.m. start then.

By the way, Rob, I hope you never actually need a "pardon"!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 8:39 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

thanks, what's the difference between a Residencia and Padron

Like 0      
03 Mar 2009 10:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

National / local. You are a resident of Spain; you are registered on the padrón of your local town hall. As far as I know, whilst the former is obligatory the latter is optional. If you move within Spain, you are still a resident, so no need to do anything with regards to your NIE or residencia; Maria suggested getting your residency certificate changed, but I've yet to discover what use this silly piece of green paper has, or anyone who knows, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you move to another town, though, you should register on the padrón at your new town hall. I think they will then notify your old town hall that you are on their register now, and the previous one will take you off their list. I think. Anyway, like I said, I think it's optional anyway, so again, don't lose sleep over it!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 6:38 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

OK that explains why I can't find any information on changing your address on your NIE

thanks

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 7:24 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Roberto - I know that you are technically correct but practice varies across Spain - so what is new????  In Orihuela Costa they won't let you apply for the Padron untl you have your Residencia and no amount of complaints will budge them.

So Rob - you probably need to ask in your new town hall what rules they work to, just to be sure.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 8:21 AM by DaveXC Star rating in Hornchurch, Essex / .... 5 posts Send private message

Hi All

If I understand correctly, there is no need or legal requirement to change your address on your NIE. 

However, does the address need to be a valid one ? as when I got my NIE the property I was purchasing was under construction but has never been completed. I subsequently, got my money back and purchased elsewhere although still in the locality.  

Thanks

Dave

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 8:37 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

I´m a little bit confused about "residencia" and the "certificado de registro".  I have an NIE, social security number, am on the padron and work and pay tax in Spain.  It was my understanding that the fact that I am working and paying tax in Spain, that automatically makes me a resident here.  Do I still need to get the  "certificado de registro"?  When I have bought a car here, opened a bank account etc., the NIE/padron/passport is all I´ve needed to show...

Thanks in advance

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 9:44 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Good god, clear as mud, never thought I'd say this but this is one time where I miss the German bureaucracy, lots of rules but it's very efficient once you know what your doing and with a bit of luck you'll find someone who'll communicate in English.

Anyways I asked a friend (specific to Madrid) and he said yes you do need to change your address on your NIE, at the same place you first registered  oh what a nightmare that was, me and 10.000 Romanians trying to get our residency permits!!!!  Anyways again it really depends on who your dealing with. Generally speaking it's not a problem. Actually he thought it could be done online these days.

Is the "certificado de registro".  The same thing as the NIE?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 12:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Padron: Local registration as living in a concrete municipality ( for statistic reasons), Does not grant to you any right.

NIE number: Foreigners´ identification numer for Taxes purposes. Does not grant to you any right

Residency registration: Proof of holding of residency rights:

Tax benefits

• In Capital Gains Tax: If you’re a resident and are at least 65 years old , there will be no tax liability for Capital Gains when you sell what it has been your home for more than three years.

• In Inheritance tax: There is a reduction (up to 99% in some regions) on the value of your home if you leave it to spouse, children or a close relative who is also a resident.

• Lower Income tax burdens: as in Spain the rates are lower than in most of northern European countries.

Health System benefits

Health system in Spain is universal, which means that everyone (national or foreigner) has rights to basic an urgent health services. ( We are very proud of that actually!)

Residents contributing to the Spanish Social Security system or a UK National Spanish resident receiving a UK state pension, will have rights to all the services of the Health system under same conditions as Spanish nationals. 

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/1076/rights-of-foreigners-to-social-security-and-social-services-in-spain.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/1080/article-15-subject-of-foreigners-to-the-same-taxes-as-spaniards.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/982/legal-tip-12.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/994/legal-tip-15-right-to-public-participation-of-foreigners-in-spain.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/1018/right-to-work-and-social-security-of-foreigners-in-spain.aspx

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Mar 2009 6:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Hi Roberto - I know that you are technically correct but practice varies across Spain - so what is new????  In Orihuela Costa they won't let you apply for the Padron untl you have your Residencia and no amount of complaints will budge them".

Claire, I was working on the assumption that Rob is already a resident. But good point well made about practice varying across Spain - in fact, in my experience, it can easily vary in the one location from day to day!!!!

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rental Required in Marbella to Estepona area - 4 posts
Moving from Ireland? - 0 posts
Moving from Ireland? - 3 posts
range rover 1996 lhd spanish plates - 0 posts
Information required on SOS FACILITIES - 0 posts
Completion of phase II - 1 posts
Making a Will - 6 posts
ibedrola - 3 posts
Spanish Courts - 0 posts
electricity supply - 7 posts
St David's Day - 5 posts
Mexican package and white goods for sale - 8 posts
What sort of webcam? - 7 posts
pre employment medical examination- recommendations please? - 1 posts
google - 10 posts
Spanish Weather - 5 posts
SAT TV - 8 posts
Spam in Private Messages - 22 posts
Hurrah! Pepi´s Refuge has homed 5 dogs this week !! - 3 posts
WATCHING JUSTINS SIESTA SHOWS - 6 posts
Uk Shopping in Spain ..... - 8 posts
Car repossesion in spain. legalities ? - 7 posts
Developer Changes to our Apartment - 6 posts
Horse riding - 2 posts
telitec internet - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x