What sort of webcam?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I am thinking of setting up a webcam at our apartment to keep track of the weather/ views, etc. I have two options, 1) Wired and 2) wireless. I am going to mount the camera on our pergola looking towards Vera. Obviously if I use a LAN cable plugged into the router (don't want usb connections as there will be no pc), I have to have that and the power supply to the camera whereas the wireless will only need the power cord. The cameras will have to upload the images without a pc being switched on, so I suppose it will have to be an ip based camera. It will also need to be weatherproof to take into account the Andalucian downpours.

So, taking all that into consideration, can someone recommend a reasonably priced, not too large camera to use please?

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 6:43 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

External wireless webcams cost an absolute fortune, well they certainly did when we looked at them last year.  They are usually security cameras so not cheap.  Also, everyone I know with an ip based camera has had a lot of problems getting it working.

We gave up and continued using our indoor standard webcam instead!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 11:19 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I had thought along the lines of trying to use an internal webcam, but don't really want to risk the damage. I suppose it may be possible to make a little housing for it to protect against the rain. Then again, most of the internal webcams are usb connections which won't be suitable when i'm not there. Hmm, trip to Maplin coming on I think!!

Mark

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 11:04 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Mark

Did you get a wireless webcam in the end,if you did I would be intrested to know if it works ok. Just seen this at Maplins, seems to be ideal for people with a second home

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227333

Steve

This message was last edited by Team GB on 23/08/2009.

This message was last edited by Team GB on 23/08/2009.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 2:12 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi Steve

I gaveup looking in the end. I went to Maplin for some help, but no-one was particularly interested. They offered me cctv cameras which were a) too big and ugly b) much too expensive for what I wanted. That camera would be ideal if it were a bit smaller. I just want to mount it on the pergola and point it at the mountains for something to look at and make me a bit more jealous .

Mark

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 4:53 PM by richard4848uk Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Cant post the link but google pakatak security cameras.

Hope it helps.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 6:33 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks for that Richard, I did email them, but their answer wasn't particularly helpful. I have since been pointed to some quite reasonably priced ones on eBay, except the p&p from Hong Kong is almost as much as the cameras themselves!! Back to Maplin and now I know wat I am looking for, they are coming in at around £50- £80. Time for more looking on eBay methinks!!

Mark

Like 0      
29 Aug 2009 6:58 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I ended up buying one of these. We'll have to wait and see what it is like and if I get stung for any extra import duty!! It should arrive in plenty of time for me to try it out in Blighty before leaving for my next jaunt to Spain in October.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

pre employment medical examination- recommendations please? - 1 posts
google - 10 posts
Spanish Weather - 5 posts
SAT TV - 8 posts
Spam in Private Messages - 22 posts
Hurrah! Pepi´s Refuge has homed 5 dogs this week !! - 3 posts
WATCHING JUSTINS SIESTA SHOWS - 6 posts
Uk Shopping in Spain ..... - 8 posts
Car repossesion in spain. legalities ? - 7 posts
Developer Changes to our Apartment - 6 posts
Horse riding - 2 posts
telitec internet - 0 posts
Something to keep in mind.... - 3 posts
Finally sorted!! 7500kg truck leaving UK March 15th. - 0 posts
Ryanair set to charge £1 to use the toilet! - 39 posts
Auriga Crown at Murcia airport - 8 posts
Please speak English!! - 19 posts
A totally free and unique property website - 0 posts
RECIEVING LOTS OF EXTRA SKY CHANNELS - 2 posts
Can you pick up English channels without a dish - 5 posts
Got some learning Spanish ideas for you all! - 2 posts
Developer Mortgage Question? - 12 posts
Linea Directa - liberty seguros - Mapfre ? - 5 posts
Weather forecast - who do you trust? - 3 posts
john colling - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x