End of the Euro ?? Could it really happen

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by michael52 Star rating in Bushey, Hertfordshir.... 308 posts Send private message

24 Feb 2009 7:28 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

Hmmm interesting article michael52, thanks for posting it.

As for can it really happen, nothing will surprise me nowdays.

Bob

Gt.Yarmouth

Like 0      
25 Feb 2009 6:30 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Edward Hugh (Spanish Economy Watch) has mentioned this several times, the problem is that for all the complaints about the inflation caused by restaurants raising prices the Euro has provided a ton of cover for like Spain and Ireland. One only has to look at Eastern Europe to see what could have happened. In the short term going back to the pesta will do wonders, Spain can seriously evaluate it but long term it will do more damage as inflation and unemployment soars and growth grinds to a halt.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 6:12 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Rob, ditching the euro wouldn't help Spain, even in the short term. Governments need to raise money by issuing bonds (gilts as they are called in UK). Spain  needs to borrow more money than most  to get it through the crisis. Spain (and big Spanish corporations like Iberdrola, Santander, etc)  is already having to pay more than, say Germany, to borrow money because potential lenders think Spain is likelier to default. It costs more to insure a loan to Spain, even though the loan is in Euros. Now, suppose Spain was to go back to the Peseta, do you think that would make lenders more eager to lend? The Telegraph chap, Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has been talking down the Euro for years. The thing is, there's nowhere in the world that's not affected so there's no real reason for exchange rates to go up or down much as they're all equally buggered. Euroland, the USA and UK are all in the same boat. Which is good news as there are no decisions to make.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Does anyone know of a van with spare room coming from UK to Manilva Area in March 09 - 9 posts
Signature on documents - 2 posts
Keith and Liz we live in La Escha near Lorca Murcia - 1 posts
UK van & storage back working. 1st March in Scotland. - 0 posts
I'm frustrated by my inablity to learn Spanish - 52 posts
Ryanair to drop check in desks by end of year? - 8 posts
golf starter kits - bargain - 0 posts
buying a repossesion - 7 posts
NIE Application in Manchester - 3 posts
Football fans on the Costa Blanca - 0 posts
internet connection - 12 posts
Rattan furniture - 6 posts
Van collecting in Scotland 1st March. - 0 posts
Watch your credit card transactions abroad!! - 13 posts
swop bike for van - 0 posts
Transfer Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming Pool - 8 posts
Sunset Golf La Resina Golf and Country Club near Estepona - Investment purchase - 2 posts
UK market - 4 posts
nottingham buyers? - 0 posts
Cajasur - definitely not a bank I would recommend, especially in Alora - can you help? - 3 posts
Disposing of a RHD van in Spain - is this possible? - 15 posts
Property Management - 1 posts
GEORGEKAY - 3 posts
Ready Rental Property - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x