Ryanair to drop check in desks by end of year?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentid=14455633

Budget airline Ryanair says it will do away with check-in desks

LONDON _ European budget airline Ryanair wants to do away with airport check-in desks by the end of the year, saying most of its customers already check in online.
Ryanair Holdings PLC said Saturday passengers would still be able to leave their luggage at a baggage drop but everything else could be done over the Web.
Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said the airline saw the move as the "logical next step" in its effort to slash costs.
Europe's largest discount carrier, Ryanair has pioneered the use of Web-based sales to cut costs and attract Net-savvy customers.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 8:51 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

that doesn't make any sense as only EU passport can check in online. If you American and try to do that your ticket will be canceled. Check out No Budget Travels warning about Ryanair check in

http://nobudgettravel.wordpress.com/2007/11/13/warning-ryanair-online-check-in/

Besides that if everyone checks in online than how are they going to gouge you on over weight fees.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 2:33 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Online check in is currently only available to those with hand luggage, hold luggage has to be checked in. So is this the realisation of Ryanair's dream of only carrying passengers with hand luggage and hold bags are banned?

Mark

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 3:28 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

It may be that Ryanair will expect passengers to use the check in machines that they currently have at Stanstead airport & then you drop your hold luggage at the drop off point.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 2/23/2009.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 3:46 PM by Impey Star rating in London/Playa Flamenc.... 82 posts Send private message

Impey´s avatar

Hasanyone actually used the self service check in machines at Stansted yet?

I did see these last year but then they had not yet been put into operation.

If you could either tap in your booking reference number or passport number and the machine then issued you with a boarding card, then hopefully it would not be too bad.

I have no printer connected to my computer so would not be able to print out the boarding card even if I did check in online.  I actually have a printer but it is not compatible with my machine.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 4:13 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

A lot of airlines use self service check in machines at the airport. You type in your booking reference number, choose your seat ( if they have this option) and it prints a boarding card and baggage tag if required. If you have baggage you  attach the tag to your bag then drop it at the baggage drop desk where it is weighed. Have just done a trip with SAS and they text me to check in, I just had to text back 'yes' and received a text back with seat number. At the airport I printed boarding card and baggage tag at self service machine. Easy peasy.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 4:50 PM by Impey Star rating in London/Playa Flamenc.... 82 posts Send private message

Impey´s avatar

Poppyseed,

Thank you so much for the info putting my mind at rest.

Regards,

Impey

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 6:44 PM by junenpaul Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I wonder how that will work with us disabled passengers as they do not allow us to check in online and insist on airport checkin?

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 9:56 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I have no idea what arrangements they will put in place for disabled passengers, but as I'm sure you know it is against the law to discriminate on the grounds of disability so they will have to come up with something if they intend to introduce self service check in.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

golf starter kits - bargain - 0 posts
buying a repossesion - 7 posts
NIE Application in Manchester - 3 posts
Football fans on the Costa Blanca - 0 posts
internet connection - 12 posts
Rattan furniture - 6 posts
Van collecting in Scotland 1st March. - 0 posts
Watch your credit card transactions abroad!! - 13 posts
swop bike for van - 0 posts
Transfer Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming Pool - 8 posts
Sunset Golf La Resina Golf and Country Club near Estepona - Investment purchase - 2 posts
UK market - 4 posts
nottingham buyers? - 0 posts
Cajasur - definitely not a bank I would recommend, especially in Alora - can you help? - 3 posts
Disposing of a RHD van in Spain - is this possible? - 15 posts
Property Management - 1 posts
GEORGEKAY - 3 posts
Ready Rental Property - 15 posts
WANTED Wooden Childs Playpen - 0 posts
Problem with two properties in Spain - 2 posts
INFO ON GRANADA - HOTELS AND MUST SEE PLACES TO GO OR NOT TO GO - 6 posts
Shared agency for your data base - 0 posts
PALMERA PROPERTIES - 0 posts
Volunteers needed for children's charity in Malaga - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x