internet connection

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

I am looking to get an internet connection into my apartment in Almerimar. Can anyone give me information on what company to use and the cost of rental?

Many thanks.

Mike

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 5:35 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Take a look at the following websites:

www.telefonicainenglish.com These are agents of Telefonica. If you go with Telefonica, I believe the consesus is to deal direct with them.

www.iberbandainenglish.com These are agents of Iberbanda of which there are many. Choose one near to you if you go for it.

I mention both the above as they have almost faithful reproductions of the actual main providers content, with the exception that some of the agents levy other charges.

Of course, there are then the mobile providers if you are in a good enough reception area. Vodafone do a dongle and router package.

Most of the packages start around the €40pm range.

Mark

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 6:04 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Actually Telefonica in English are nothing to do with Telefonica.  They are a separate company.  To deal with Telefonica direct (www.telefonica.es) you shouldn't get the two mixed up.  Telefonica in English will arrange your telefonica line but charge extra for doing so (I believe it is €110 extra going down this route).

If you are in Spain and ring Telefonica on 1004, say English (a few times) and you will be put through to an English speaking operator.  Alternatively, go direct to a Telefonica store but you have to take a chance on having an English speaker on duty.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 6:24 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Sorry to be picky, I didn't say they were anything to do with TF, what  I said is:

www.telefonicainenglish.com These are agents of Telefonica. If you go with Telefonica, I believe the consesus is to deal direct

and also

www.iberbandainenglish.com These are agents of Iberbanda of which there are many. Choose one near to you if you go for it.

So I had the nothing to do with Telefonica bit covered .

Mark

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 2/22/2009.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 6:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

True, but I can see how someone may be confused by the statement that the consensus is to deal direct with Telefónica, immediately after giving a link to something that looks like it IS Telefónica.

It's been discussed many times before, so I'll just add that the general consensus is that you should AVOID Telefonicainenglish or any other such sounding organisations. Do as Bobaol suggests instead and call 1004. As for Telefónica shops, I'm not aware there is such a thing; there are plenty of agents - not sure whether they charge for their services or not, but anyway, they're probably a better bet than the English outfits!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Feb 2009 5:55 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

To be honest, it is my understanding that whoever you use apart from Telefonica, they have to buy time from Telefonica at this time.

I was with Orange, until a misunderstanding with a phone call from Telefonica, to me, led me to the premise that if you can´t beat ém, join ém!!

I have been happy with them as my ISP to date, plus a test of speed indicates some 4.5 Mgbytes!

pilgrim

Like 0      
14 Mar 2009 4:06 PM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Thanks to all for the information re. internet in my flat. I want to be able to use Skype and I have been told that a dongle connection does not allow this and I can only get the service of Skype if I connect the internet into my flat. Any further advice? 

Many thanks.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2009 5:17 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Whose dongle are we talking about here? The internet  is the internet and I don't see how one programme can be disabled by a provider (unless they want you to use their voip I suppose!). Who told you that Skype can't be used with the dongle, the agent of the company providing the service? I know you can use it with at least one providers dongle, Movistar , as a friend of mine used to use it. I imagine Orange and Vodafone both allow this use, but not sure about Euphony.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Mar 2009 7:47 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Important note: although you can order you phone line in English you can't book an appointment unless you speak Spanish. The problem is this, once your request has been processed it is then passed on to a technician WHO DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH who will then call you to book an appointment. So if you can't speak Spanish you can't book an appointment so make sure you have someone who van speak Spanish to take the call from the Technician.

Same with Canal Plus.

This message was last edited by Rob in Madrid on 3/14/2009.

This message was last edited by Rob in Madrid on 3/14/2009.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2009 9:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

But the good news is..........once you have your line, you will find that speaking no Spanish is an excellent way to deter all the unsolicited propoganda callers you will get. In fact, even if you do speak Spanish, it's best to just say "err... sorry, do you speak English?" to which most of them hurriedly hang up, or the more polite ones attempt to say "ooh....errrr.....sorry, no speeky Eeengleesh!" and then hang up.

Having trouble buying SKYPE credit tonight. Getting p***ed off.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 6:26 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

every so often I get a call from someone who attempts to speak English, I figure if they are willing to make the effort I'm willing to listen, usually after a short speil I tell them I'm not intersted and they quickly hang up.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 5:23 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Usually they're asking if you have internet. Answer: yes (this much they can all manage) next, they usually ask who with. Answer: Telefónica (so far so good); then they almost always ask "do you want to have cheaper internet?" Answer: no. Stumped! They're script can't deal with that one. Adios!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 7:34 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

We recently had phone and internet installed by Telycom.I thought it was a bit expensive but they fitted it 2 days after my first contact with them. Telefonica couls not match that.

Service so far very good ,no problems at all.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rattan furniture - 6 posts
Van collecting in Scotland 1st March. - 0 posts
Watch your credit card transactions abroad!! - 13 posts
swop bike for van - 0 posts
Transfer Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming Pool - 8 posts
Sunset Golf La Resina Golf and Country Club near Estepona - Investment purchase - 2 posts
UK market - 4 posts
nottingham buyers? - 0 posts
Cajasur - definitely not a bank I would recommend, especially in Alora - can you help? - 3 posts
Disposing of a RHD van in Spain - is this possible? - 15 posts
Property Management - 1 posts
GEORGEKAY - 3 posts
Ready Rental Property - 15 posts
WANTED Wooden Childs Playpen - 0 posts
Problem with two properties in Spain - 2 posts
INFO ON GRANADA - HOTELS AND MUST SEE PLACES TO GO OR NOT TO GO - 6 posts
Shared agency for your data base - 0 posts
PALMERA PROPERTIES - 0 posts
Volunteers needed for children's charity in Malaga - 4 posts
Angel de Miraflores Mijas good or bad - 3 posts
unsatisfactory furniture what is procedure? Help please Maria - 1 posts
IF you booked car hire in Spain some months ago for the future CHECK LATEST PRICES - 26 posts
INTERNET EXPLORER PROBLEM - 7 posts
Aval and Express Evcitions - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x