Tax on transfers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by forseys Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

My son is working abroad and is transfering lump sums back to his UK bank account . Is he liable for tax on this money although he is paying tax in the country he is working in.

Any advise is gratefully received.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 6:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Abroad" is a pretty vague term, but if you mean Spain, then no, because Spain and UK have a double taxation agreement. More info available here

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 8:20 PM by forseys Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Thanks for such a prompt reply - such a great forum, new somebody would help/have information although my son is living in Japan.

Suzanne

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 10:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Mildly curious as to why you would post a question about transfering money from Japan to the UK on a forum about Spain, but welcome anyway! Hope the link was useful.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 11:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Only mildly, Rob ?

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 9:05 AM by forseys Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Roberto - as said below many thanks for the information - i use this forum as i am one of many with a court action due to non payment of bank guarantee on a property in Spain - hopefully that issue qualifies me for being a member of the forum.

With the amount of members who obviously have  wide and varied backgrounds i was taking a chance on behalf of my son to get information although Japan is not Spain. Your reply has answered the question and it confirms as thought what superb support this forum can give.

Morerosado - thanks for highlighting in print and making me feel an idiot for asking a non spainish question although the answer was received almost immediately. I will ensure future queries directed  to this forum remain related to Spain.

Apologies

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 9:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Forseys

Rob & I rib each other all the time so I apologise if I offended you, honestly I do. My remark was obviously to Rob.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 6:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hey, having a computer, or access to one, plus an internet connection, qualifies you to be a member of this forum, and you are most welcome. No need to justify your presence here!

If you want to post about Japan, feel free - makes a change from just talking about Spain anyway. Morerosados profile says "EOS Superstar", but that's only because the forum admin haven't yet created "EOS Oracle", and you can be quite sure, if she doesn't know the answer to your questions, she'll do her utmost to find out, regardless of what it relates to. Sometimes, I like to try to beat her to it; usually I fail!

Good luck with that court order, by the way; hope it all works out.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 7:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Aw Rob, thanks for that, you're turning soft in your old age.  Of course Forseys is welcome. Gosh it must be exciting having a son in Japan. I've never been far but wished I had, for the experiences.  

True I try & help, isn't always appreciated & sometimes I tend to get shouted down like earlier (bet you missed that one Rob, I didn't) but I try to help & often do. The internet is a wonderful tool, I get much of my info from Googling & a few viruses to boot.  OH is always going on at me. Anyway can I go & cook dinner now ? Pop in again Forseys.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 7:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

She cooks, too! Truly remarkable!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Feb 2009 7:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
06 Feb 2009 9:13 AM by forseys Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Thank you both  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mortgage broker - 4 posts
Utility Bills - 2 posts
ITV show 'Tonight' Friday 30th January 'Your pound abroad'. - 0 posts
Done, dusted, contracts exchanged.... - 12 posts
Looking for a good british lawyer - 21 posts
For Sale - 0 posts
New TV service - 2 posts
Register to pay taxes - 17 posts
More Siesta Show - 8 posts
A question for Maria, Faults with new property. Any advice please - 4 posts
British Jobs for British Workers are you seeing Descrimination in Spain - 11 posts
Ryanair to charge £30 if duty free won't fit in hand baggage - 10 posts
Air conditioning units for sale - 2 posts
Nearly new fridge freezer for sale - 2 posts
New Single headboards for sale - 2 posts
Can Movistar switch off your mobile service if you don't use it a lot ? - 23 posts
Anyone tried 'Rent to Buy'? - 5 posts
Return money with an expired Bank Guarantee - 6 posts
EOS Property for sale direct site - Obsolete - 4 posts
Lisa Stych - 1 posts
Mortgage payment freeze: Over 35 Spanish credit institutions have signed an agreement ! - 2 posts
Los Pasos: Rojales (Costa Blanca) childrens nursery - 0 posts
Checking Car for Embargos etc - 3 posts
Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow.................. - 34 posts
Spanish equivalent of NHBC - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x