What is the most cost effective way for moving your furniture to Spain from the UK.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by Marcus Y Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi

Any ideas on what is the most cost effective method of moving your furniture etc from the UK to Spain, use a removals company, hire a van and self drive or simply kit your Spanish property out with furniture from somewhere like IKEA?

East Midlands to Estopona area.

Besr regards

Marcus

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 2:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Ah, good.  You found the right place.

Firstly, it will depend on how much you have and what you want to keep.  Even with the pound crashing against the euro, things are more expensive in Spain than UK including furniture, light fittings, kitchen equipment etc.  White goods are now about the same as UK so it is pointless bringing them (they also take up a lot of room).  Try searching on this thread and see if you can a few tips.  I believe Digby Removals were being touted as good value and you may get away with a part load at fairly reasonable prices.  IMO the choice in Spain is also a lot less that it is in UK, even if you want the IKEA stuff and put it all up yourself.  Self hire vans can be very expensive when you take into account ferry and toll fares so look into that very carefully.  Plus you have to budget for a return trip then getting yourself back.  I did see a company (sorry, didn't get the name) where you can hire a van one way between UK and Spain and use it to drop off your goods. No idea of the prices, though.

A lot of people say they sold their stuff in UK and then bought new in Spain.  When I checked into this, it would have been a very expensive way of doing it as the price for second hand furniture in UK is very cheap so there is no way you would get your money back and, if you have some good quality items you want to bring, the loss you would take would be more than covered by using a removal firm.

TVs are about the same in Spain now plus about 10%.  The problem is, if you have a decent one you want to bring, you wouldn't get a good price in UK and would then have to start again so you'd be losing twice.  Example, if you have an 800 quid plasma telly you'd be luck to get 200 on the second hand market thereby losing 600.  Then you'd have to pay the 800 in Spain so you'd really be spending 600.  The 100 quid it would cost on shipping would mean you'd only be paying that 100 extra, if you get my drift.

Good furniture in Spain is very expensive so think about that as well.  An 8 quid frying pan in UK will be double that in Spain as are good quality pots and pans so bear that in mind as well.

Get a few quotes and look at the threads a little lower down.  You should pick up some good hints and I am sure there are many personal things you don't want to leave behind so I reckon, when you take those into account, it won't be that much more expensive to add items of furniture as well.  Beds, especially mattresses, do take up a lot of room on the furniture vans which may influence the cost and you can get those things from places like IKEA (not that I'd buy from IKEA, they all seem about 2 inches off the floor and I'd never get up again) .  Our wood framed bed dismantles and we will be bringing that, just buying a new mattress in Spain to go with it.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 3:15 PM by moiraandian Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Dainton in Spain do national and international removals on a regular basis between Spain and the U.K.   They also have a  storage facility near Alhama de Murcia.

Check out the details on  their web page which is 3w's daintoninspain 

Ian.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 6:54 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

We've just shipped 10 cubic metres of stuff to Spain  - a complete mixture of kitchenalia, garden furniture, personal possessions, etc . etc. but not a lot of big furniture. Anyway, our experience so far has been excellent. The company we used bent over backwards to fit in with out timetable and have kindly stored our stuff for free until 10th February. They've even promised to look after my plants! They are based in Formentera del Segura but it wouldn't cost you anything to ask if the go to Estepona.

Their email: banksremovals@yahoo.com.

Irene

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 7:46 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

Hopefully you have a PM but I may have messed it up. PM me back if you wish.
Thanks.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2017 6:58 PM by myspain Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi I know this an old post but can I ask who you used in the end and would you recommend them? Many thanks

Like 0      
21 Jun 2017 9:50 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Many people have asked this question over the years and many replies will say Coles Transport of Banbury, I have used them 3 times and will be using them again soon,never had a problem, it all depends on how much you are moving, I don't know where in Spain you are going but if you Facebook and search the area or the town name you might find a Facebook page, and on that page you will probably see man & van uk 2 Spain etc offering his services. Good Luck

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dealing with funerals in UK and living in Spain - 17 posts
Successfully sued a builder for not providing facilities promised? - 0 posts
Furniture fitters (Costa Blanca area) - 1 posts
Any help would be appreciated. - 3 posts
Mazarron Country Club - 9 posts
Unable to obtain mortgage! - 14 posts
JUSTIN: Advice sought re Googling for EOS (& others) .. may harm my PC (WOT ?!?) - 17 posts
JUSTIN: Search facility - 2 posts
Fortuna Golf, Mercia. - 3 posts
Apartment rental wanted - 2 posts
Traditional Spanish bbq Heredades - 0 posts
Damp in apartments - 2 posts
MARIA - Can you or anybody else offer ANY advice please. - 0 posts
Swimming Pool - 30 posts
Carnaval de Cádiz - 0 posts
car tax - 12 posts
Not sure what to do. - 8 posts
COSTA DEL SOL ACTION GROUP - 2 posts
Costa del Sol One bedroom apartment wanted rental period February 21 to March 13, 2009 - 0 posts
ANDULACIAN DREAM HOMES AGENTS IN FUENGIROLA - 1 posts
Anyone in Aguas Nuevas, Torrevieja - 0 posts
Fireplace required in Marbella area.... - 11 posts
L/Term rental required Costa Calida coastal area please - 0 posts
Feliz cumpleaños Maria de Castro - 10 posts
ADVICE / HELP PLEASE: Reclaiming instalment payments & interest - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x