Can one negotiate with a developer when buying an over-valued apartment?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by lisainspain Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Dear all,

2.5 years ago I purchased an off-plan apartment for €410,000. The property is due to be handed over in one month. The same developer is now selling the apartments for €349,000. I have already paid €46,000 to date but even if i back out of the purchase now and lose that money I am still saving a significant amount than if I go ahead!

My question: does anyone know if it is possible to negotiate the price with the developer although I signed a contract 2.5 years ago? 

Regards, Lisa

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 5:12 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Negotiation? A negotiation is always possible.

You may even have some breaches to oppose and negotiate from a stronger position. Has he met all the terms of the contract?

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 5:17 PM by lisainspain Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello Maria,

Thank you for such a quick reply. Well yes, they have breached the contract. The complex will be delivered almost 6 months late and in the sales brochure it said 114 m², what it didn´t mention is that only 82 m² of the 114 m² are "utiles". So of course when I viewed the property I thought that there was no way that it looked like 114m² and when I rang up as a potential customer they said that the apartments measure 82 m² utiles.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 5:21 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

So... come on, play your rights out. You HAVE a right for compensation: price reduction

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 5:25 PM by lisainspain Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Fantastic, I am going to tell this good news to my husband later and hopefully he will be as persistent as I am! I will keep you updated!

Like 0      
30 Jan 2009 8:09 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Please do!

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 5:36 PM by spainops Star rating in Benidorm, Spain. 21 posts Send private message

Lisa - I have pm'd you. Email me if you don't get it.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 5:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Spainops, Lisa can't access her PMs till she's made around 10 posts, just so you know.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 8:57 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Lisa

Oh my goodness me. You sound like a nice person, do yourself a big favour and pull out of this asap. 83m2 at 410k, you are going to lose your shirt and all your life's savings. They maybe asking 345k, but that does not mean that any one will buy at that daft price.

Its probably worth 100k max, get a proper valuation from Rixxy on here as to WHAT IT WOULD SELL AT, not what its worth - two very different things and the former is the only thing that matters.

Pull out for goodness sake please.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 9:34 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Good luck with that but in my experience trying to negotiate with a developer when he has your deposit is like banging your head against a brick wall.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 11:32 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/article2195198.ece

I think reality is starting to dawn. Does anyone know how much a typical 2 bed apartment in the CDS costs the developer to build? Say an apartment that was priced in the heyday at say 250k euros.

My guess 50K odd.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 7:06 PM by lawfirminspain.com Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Lisa

It wil be very difficult that the developer will reduce you 46.000 euros. He will argue that you have a contract signed.

If he is in delay I will send him a formal letter in spanish denouncing the delay before he finish the property.

You can negotiate teh reduction and send him the letter at the same time in order not to loose your time and if he does not accept the reduction you have open the door of revoking the contract because of the delay.

Best regards

José Ramón Gutiérrez Giménez

Abogado / Lawyer

Like 0      
02 Feb 2009 7:21 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes I actually agree with TJ222. That really seems a lot of euros for a two bedroom apartment I know CDS is a lot more expensive than CBlanca but that seems over the top to me.  If that was me I would try looking somewhere else. That is if you can pull out. Can I ask what you are getting for that I hope it has 2 bathrooms.

Well good luck LisainSpain    

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 5:04 PM by dave chis Star rating in San Juan De Los Terr.... 38 posts Send private message

dave chis´s avatar

Developers should and must accept that prices are now in freefall....With all the recent postings they are in danger of things coming to a total grinding halt.....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

la zenia ,playa flamenca,la freda torreveja town - 0 posts
TV reception in my area - 0 posts
Anyone recommend an estate agent in the Axarquia/Rincon de la Victoria area? - 0 posts
MOVING TO SPAIN 2010 - 2 posts
Drop in Rental Income - How Far??? - 2 posts
Pruna.....Can anyone tell me what it is like ???? - 1 posts
GBP v EURO. - 26 posts
playa flaminca - 0 posts
Planning Permission. Anyone any idea how long it normally takes? 6 months, 6 years!? - 0 posts
All-in-one Printer/copier/fax/scan - 4 posts
Car boot sales on the Costa del Sol - 3 posts
Lemon Tree - 1 posts
BIG truck required to hire for about a week. - 0 posts
advice needed would like to set up a chiken farm - 1 posts
First Assembly of Owners - 0 posts
Buying a Spanish car, is there any charges and who pays for them - 4 posts
Baby clothes, - 6 posts
Going home? Car swop, genuine, not a dealer. spanish car wanted - 4 posts
Furniture for Sale (2 bed penthouse) - 2 posts
Furniture pack for sale (2 bed penthouse) - 0 posts
WANTED ROSETTA STONE (SPAIN) - 4 posts
Same Day Couriers - 6 posts
What was your chosen path/venture to buying a property in spain? - 9 posts
INHERITANCE TAX ON DEATH = NO SPOUSE EXEMPTION, THEY'RE TAXED ON 1/2 - 9 posts
cancer treatment -best hospitals? plus Funerals - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x