Drop in Rental Income - How Far???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Advice needed please!!

I've heard that properties are getting very difficult to let, and that prices in Spain are being reduced, but how far?

I've had a tenant in my house in Spain for 9 months (via letting agent).  I should say that the first term was for 6 months, and tenant is part way though second six month term. 

The tenant (English) went into the letting agent's today and said that he would like the rent dropped by €100 per month, or else he would not consider re-newing. 

Last year I received a substantial amount less rent than the year before.  The year before I was with another agent who just deducted his letting fees, but the tenant had to pay his own utilities (gas, electric, water) and  TV.  With this tenant I have to sub. him by €75 per month for them!  So on this method, combined with higher letting fees, overall I have been €100 per month worse off!!

At the moment I am unable to get to Spain, so it would be handy to have someone in the house.  I have logged on to various rental websites to see the price of properties but would appreciate the view of someone on the spot - there's a difference between the price that someone asks in the rentals - and the chance of getting a tenant.

I have a large, modern two bedroomed end of terrance; big garden; parking; air con; and all usual white goods plus of course the TV!!  How much do you think that I should reasonably be expected to get - if there is an elusive tenant around - or is it better to "bite the bullet" and stick with the one that I know???

Sorry, I seem to have waffled on a bit - must be getting old!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 5:13 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

My first, best advise for tenants: submitt your contract to arbitration... not to Courts.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 1/29/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 9:57 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

I have a simular question. We signed a 3 year lease and wish to leave early. If the landlady won't let us out of the contract and we give notice and move anyways what options does she have. Basicly we'd be leaving 3 months early.

My understanding would be this, she'd hire a lawyer and sue us for 3 months rent apporx 3000€, but if we move on what options does she have to recover the money. Of course this applies both ways, landlords with tennats that owed them money.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Pruna.....Can anyone tell me what it is like ???? - 1 posts
GBP v EURO. - 26 posts
playa flaminca - 0 posts
Planning Permission. Anyone any idea how long it normally takes? 6 months, 6 years!? - 0 posts
All-in-one Printer/copier/fax/scan - 4 posts
Car boot sales on the Costa del Sol - 3 posts
Lemon Tree - 1 posts
BIG truck required to hire for about a week. - 0 posts
advice needed would like to set up a chiken farm - 1 posts
First Assembly of Owners - 0 posts
Buying a Spanish car, is there any charges and who pays for them - 4 posts
Baby clothes, - 6 posts
Going home? Car swop, genuine, not a dealer. spanish car wanted - 4 posts
Furniture for Sale (2 bed penthouse) - 2 posts
Furniture pack for sale (2 bed penthouse) - 0 posts
WANTED ROSETTA STONE (SPAIN) - 4 posts
Same Day Couriers - 6 posts
What was your chosen path/venture to buying a property in spain? - 9 posts
INHERITANCE TAX ON DEATH = NO SPOUSE EXEMPTION, THEY'RE TAXED ON 1/2 - 9 posts
cancer treatment -best hospitals? plus Funerals - 5 posts
opticians etc - 4 posts
costa de la luz aymonte/esuri huelva area villas - 0 posts
OUR PETITIONS - 6 posts
animal shavings for bedding in short supply new echo friendly animal bedding coming soon - 3 posts
Holiday homes for rent in the Costa Brava. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x