Buying a LHD in UK or Spain??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by sarah&john Star rating in Estepona, Spain. 50 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Got the above question and thought who best to ask that you fab lot.

When we move over to Manilva CDS (hopefully within next few months) we are wondering what to do about cars. We will be selling our two RHD cars here and will need two in Spain. Now which is the best to do:-

• Buy the large car (people carrier) here in UK - Spanish plated hopefully and then drive it to Spain with some of our gear in it. Do we have to have owned this car for at least 6 months before we move over for it to qualify for personal possessions? If so then we need to start looking to buy now.

OR

• Fly over and buy two cars  as soon as we arrive. I will need one for myself and getting the girls about and John will need one for work. We were hoping for a people carrier and a smaller car i.e. corsa, golf etc. Hoping to get a car between 1-3 years old.

Any advice you guys have got would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your time.  SARAH & JOHN

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 5:01 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Difficult one really.  Generally cars tend to hold their value in Spain quite well which means second hand cars can be expensive here.

Do a search on Google for "coches segunda mano" and compare how much you can get a similar second hand car in Spain compared to a LHD in UK.

Also, remember that with the current exchange rate being so poor it might be better to buy a LHD car in the UK.  I suspect there won't be that many Spanish reg cars in the UK (although I could be wrong) but if there are the exchange rate alone could make a case for that option.

When we looked at LHD cars in the UK before coming over here 4 years ago, they were actually quite expensive.  There seemed to be a premium on the fact that they were LHD, which seemed very odd.  We ended up buying a used car off of a friend when we got here instead.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Are they now charging £100 a year for your card.. basically blackmail!!!!.. - 7 posts
SKY digibox going into standby - 4 posts
All done in a day - 2 posts
outdoor pool - 0 posts
Guardamar area - anyone know an aerial rigger? - 2 posts
Oil Filled Heaters - Wanted - 5 posts
MERRY CHRISTMAS.......... - 0 posts
Mar Menor Area - 0 posts
'Cheeky' Spanish tradition brings toilet humour at Christmas - 3 posts
For Sky/ Sky+ owners in Spain - 1 posts
2/3 bedroom apartment required - max 20 mins from Gibraltar - 4 posts
house for swap - 0 posts
OUR PETITION TO DOWNING STREET - 2 posts
WANTED 4 BMW ALLOY WHEELS! - 0 posts
Give Feedback - 7 posts
Poser for all you rental owners - 3 posts
White Goods and Air Con - 14 posts
EOS Christmas fun thread - add 3 words to a Christmas Carol!! - 102 posts
Tips on keeping your house warmer in winter - 0 posts
Unbelievable! - 9 posts
sat installer mar menor area - 4 posts
has anyone used villapac? - 3 posts
Animal Charity in the Costa del Sol - ADANA - 2 posts
Cheap phone calls from Spain - 0 posts
Apolo Properties of Santomera - Murcia - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x