compeletion what should a good lawyer do for you

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by martin Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

hi all, could someone give me a good break down on what a lawyer should  do on or before completion ie: sort out nie numbers,get eletric switched on water, etc, etc, read about it somewere on one of the treads but cant find it, thankyou in advance.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2008 8:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I would say you need to make sure you understand what services your solicitor is providing at the time of contracting their services as each is different. Ours did the conveyancing, looked for a mortgage locally, applied for and collected our NIE's, produced a power of attorney and basically looked after us through the purchase process (there were some other odds and sods but can't remember at the moment). Since completion we have found the price of submitting our taxes this year are also included which is a bonus, all at a cost of 1% of purchase price. However, we had to ensure with the builder that the electricity and water were on, we had to sort out the IBI and we still haven't managed to sort the basura.

Mark

Like 0      
30 Nov 2008 11:12 PM by martin Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

hi marksfish thanks for your reply,whats IBI & basura, we dont have a mortgage,but we do want to complete after xmas, so iam trying to get a list together to make sure that my lawyer dont miss anything before or after we close.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2008 6:23 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Martin:

Every lawyer offer diffrent things at conveyancing, there is not a list of things that they are legally required to perform, so as Marksfish has veru rightly said... ask your lawyer for price and list of conveyancing services in written so you both can fix to that.

Best wishes and luck with completion.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Dec 2008 8:10 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Martin - IBI is VAT and Basura is the rubbish collection.

I found that giving my lawyer Power of Attorney was really useful as it took 3 attempts at the Notary to get everything signed - and this is not uncommon.  If you are only coming out for a few days to complete you could end up having to go home and come back again - very expensive and frustrating!  With a PoA you don't need to be there in person as the lawyer signs for you.

Best of luck!

Like 0      
01 Dec 2008 10:45 AM by martin Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Thank you maria & claire for your replys, i have already giving my lawyer POA, & have just email her to get a list of conveyancing services so hopefully i will know what iam paying over 2000 euro for, i just want everything in order so we can complete an move in on the same day if its possible.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2008 4:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hmm, my IBI bill is for the Spanish equivalent of council tax, I thought IVA was vat?

Mark

Like 0      
01 Dec 2008 4:56 PM by Lawbird Star rating. 59 posts Send private message

Lawbird´s avatar

IBI akin to UK's Council tax.

Basura - garbage collection

IVA - VAT

Renta & Patrimonio - Wealth & Income tax.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2008 8:24 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

oops - always get my Vs and Bs mixed up in Spanish!

Like 0      
06 Dec 2008 2:36 PM by martin Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

hi all , has anyone had any dealings with echevarria perez & ferrero lawyers when buying a property in CDS, as they want me to send my money over to them so i can complete on my property & lodge it in to there cleint account in spain, they still have not answered my question of then giving me a break down of there fees twice i have email them with this question an afew others, they have answer the rest but not this one? help please as i dont know what is going on .

Like 0      
06 Dec 2008 4:35 PM by pacolopez Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Martin, take a peep at this thread: Legalities - Here you can post all your questions

Like 0      
06 Dec 2008 5:30 PM by martin Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

thanks for your reply pacolopez, but the link is not working?

Like 0      
08 Dec 2008 10:11 AM by Distintive Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I think you should keep trying calling and insisting, sadly the only way that works is being a pest sometimes. Try to be clear on your question: do you want a breakdown of approximately the cost of completing, that's it, more or less how much will the transfer tax, the Notary, etc. be? Bear in mind that if you are taking a mortgage it is the bank who provides those details because they will be doing all the afterwork (paying the Notary, the Registry, taking their commission, etc) so the lawyers might be waiting for the bank to answer them, so you could speak with the bank and ask them if they have sent the expenses already to the solicitor or not and then depending on the answer you will know if the solicitor is holding back for some reason or not.... Is it the money spent so far what you want to know about? Then that should be easy to answer, because it has already happened and they must know what you sent over and what has been spent and in what. Is it their legal fees you want the breakdown for? Well, I suppose they have told you what they were doing for you so that's what their fees cover, I imagine that as many solicitors in Spain they charge a percentage on the purchase or sale price... I wish you luck and a good "completion"...

Like 0      
08 Dec 2008 8:18 PM by martin Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Thank you Distintive, yes its the break down of lawyers fee that iam on about ,she has POA now and i am worryed that she may charge more for getting the eletic & water turned on, the bin charges, the nie number, etc, etc.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 8:37 AM by Distintive Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

The setting up of the supplies is comprised usually in the price as a service offered, most companies include that in the package; the electricity board charges directly to your bank account whatever setting up fees there are and the water it depends on the company, some you have to pay cash when doing the contract and others will charge it directly to your bank account, so if they have to pay cash they will take it from the money you have sent as provision of funds and it will be included there. The NIE is €15,80 for the application tax for what I now, if they have enough with the funds you sent then they will use that, if not they will ask you to send money. But the water supply contract and the NIE will be separated from the lawyer's fee, what is included in her fees will be the service. Once all is done she will give you the breakdown of the expenditure for the money you sent.

Perhaps you could ask those direct questions, how much is it for applying for the NIE and how much for when the water contract will be made, but when they ask for a provision of funds they have included in the calculations how much will be needed for the completion, but be sure that any expense will be showing in the final breakdown.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 11:52 AM by funluvin99 Star rating in Scotland / Moraira. 96 posts Send private message

funluvin99´s avatar

My Lawyer wanted to charge 150Euro's to get our NIE, this was to cover 2 trips to the office to apply and pick up the NIE Number (we did it ourself in the end) but thought it might be of interest

Thanks

Funluvin

Never let anyone tell you what you can't do!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Renault Kangoo Diesel Van For sale - 0 posts
Playa Golf at Lomas de Cabo Roig - 1 posts
Paying Spanish taxes - 2 posts
Christmas in Almeria - 4 posts
La Caixa - 3 posts
Xmas Dinner - 2 posts
10 day rental December Lo Pagan, San Pedro, Los Alcazares - 4 posts
Auctions in Spain - 0 posts
anyone living in jacarilla? advise please? - 2 posts
Place in the Sun - where are they now? - 22 posts
Would it be wise to try to switch mortgage providers - 1 posts
Hi - 4 posts
Books for sale, suit car booter. - 0 posts
Finally accepted that we need Maria's help. - 1 posts
Pool builder wanted in Calpe area - 3 posts
Buying a car - 1 posts
Questions for the wise.... - 2 posts
Economy Boost in Spain - 0 posts
TORRESAT................scrambled.... - 3 posts
Woolworths - 7 posts
asdAAAGH !!! - 7 posts
Calpe at Christmas - 1 posts
Xmas Day Lunch Los Alcazares - 10 posts
Small sailing dinghy for sale. Flying Bee. - 3 posts
Work vehicle required. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x