Warning to landlords...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by MLG Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

I am just sharing my recent experience with other readers, despite knowing there is nothing that can be done for me now.

We have a property in Almoradi on the Costa Blanca and have rented it out since April 2007. Our first tenant was a Spanish guy who left after 6 months as planned and left the place looking like the day he moved into 6 months before.

With our second lot of tenants we were not so lucky. We rented, via an agent, to a German couple. The agent took one month's rent as commission and for that, supplied the contracts and checked all went ok on move in day. As soon as the tenants were in, their involvement and responsibility to the property came to an end (so therefore I admit they are not to blame).

On the whole, during their stay I was not aware of any problems as they paid their rent each month and remained in contact. On the day they moved out a friend was around to collect their keys and what they found was a real shock. The place was filthy. Not usual end of the week dirt but deep set dirt like they had not cleaned once in 11 months. Everything was covered in  cat and dog hair / pee and a sticky grime on all walls and light sockets, blood on the walls and floors, windows and curtains were badly stained from nicotine smoke (despite it being rented as a non smoking apartment). The doors to both bedrooms were off their hinges as were all wardrobe doors, there were numerous holes in the walls and the shutter pullies were broken. The bed in the spare room was dismantled and about 250 euros worth of items were missing (ironic as this included our hoover and all cleaning equipment which was odd as they obviously do not enjoy cleaning). They had aged our apartment 10 years in 11 months.

When trying to run a rental from overseas, the landlord's hands are somewhat tied and when the tenants didn't pay their last months rent (because they assumed we would use the 'deposit' for it - of couse we had given this to the agent) there was not an awful lot we could do.

I emailed the tenants who denied everything and said that they left the apartment as they found it and they had taken nothing. I have copies of their passports and would love to 'name and shame' them but not sure where I could do this. Mainly as a warning to other landlords. I know they are now renting a place in La Mata, but that is all I know about their whereabouts.

In total, the loss of the deposit, the last months rent, the cost of cleaning and replacing all damaged / missing goods and cost of repainting and fixing of the walls, we have lost nearly 2000 euros. We will now not rent our place again unless we know the tenants.

Lessons to be taken from this experience:

- get references

- check out your agents involvement in the property, have them maintain an arrangement with the tenant so that all rent is paid and the place is checked occassionally and on departure

It has been a hard and expensive lesson to learn and please be aware of the pitfalls of potential 'bad tenants'. Obviously, not all tenants are bad, we rent ourselves in another country and would never treat another person's property with such disrespect.

If this message helps one other owner, then I will be happy...and if anyone knows of a German couple who have just taken a rental in La Mata, please let me know!

Like 0      
17 Nov 2008 11:08 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

How annoying for you.

I cannot begin to imagine why people do those sorts of things to other people's property.

Unfortunate for you that you have learned the hard way, but commendable fo you to share this to warn others.

Good luck with your next rental!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Nov 2008 1:15 PM by lasiesta Star rating in Costa del Sol. 58 posts Send private message

Hi

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. As a rental company we too have been unfortunate to come across some bad tenants. I find it disgusting that some people can treat someone else's property so badly but as you say not all tenants are bad and you just need to try and protect yourself as much as possible. You may be interested in a site we use - www.tenantcheckspain.com where you can check and list your tenants. Good luck.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2008 6:32 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I always recommend landlords to submitt contract to arbitration ( not to Courts, where these issues take months to be solved  and  can get to be fully pointless) and to hire an Insurance for unpaid rents.

It can cost you around 100-150 €  and it will give to you lots of tranquility.

MAria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jan 2009 10:00 AM by timba Star rating in Cardiff and Rocas de.... 27 posts Send private message

Maria

Can you explain your last post "about submitting to arbitration"

regards

Tim

Like 0      
05 Jan 2009 7:37 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The rental contract have a clause where parties can decide what instance they prefer in order to solve problems related to the rental contract itself.

You can choose Courts ( Judicial Courts), where you will find lawyers and Procurators fees plus a procedure that at least will last 6 months.

or

You can choose Arbitration ( submission to an official Arbitration institution)  where legal fees may be reduced and you could have a arbitral award within 20-30 days.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Fireworks, stars, pictures, explosions? - Rock on EOS!!!!! - 7 posts
Spanish grass - 10 posts
POLARIS WORLD NIGHTMARE CONDADO DE ALHAMA - 28 posts
CAR HIRE SEARCH.............. - 0 posts
Freshwater fishing equipment - 1 posts
Spanish Seasons - 6 posts
Good discount stores for TVs? - 4 posts
Christmas EOS dinner - 24 posts
Supermarket opening times - 7 posts
HELP..................lost in JUNK ? - 12 posts
Wood burning stoves - 26 posts
Booking flights and paying in Euros - 7 posts
The rain in Spain - 9 posts
The Compensation Letter - 2 posts
Riviera Del Sol - 2 posts
Skiing on the Sierra Nevada - 1 posts
just moved to Alcoy - 1 posts
Heating a house nr Los gallardos, almeria - 2 posts
el soto short course championships - 1 posts
golf tournament at el soto club de golf - 2 posts
Wood burning stoves - 2 posts
2 and half months for succesful execution of Bank Guarantee - 10 posts
Antiques for Sale - 0 posts
Christmas Shopping - 0 posts
Moving out early - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x