Spanish grass

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Now i've got your attention . I'm talking about turf here, nothing illegal!!

The grass we have growing in our urb is quite broad leaved and looks to be hardy. It also looks as though it could well be low maintenance. Does anyone have any experience of using this on a lawn in the UK please? I hate gardening and short of tarmaccing mine over, this seems to be the best option.

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 6:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I'm no gardener, but I'd hazard a guess that the grass you're referring to would not cope with the amount of water or lack of sunshine it would get in England. You don't see "English" grass here (except maybe on golf courses that are artificially maintained) and I presume the climatic difference explains the different type of flora. Not too many palm trees in Blighty, either!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 6:46 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Roberto,

You sure you are not "on the grass"?!

Your typing in your post below is atrocious!!!

Mark,

We have bought back some Spanish plants, (Naughty naughty) and they got eaten within days by slugs and snails.

In Spain those plants thrive on the ground, obviously no slugs or snails in Spain!

I think Roberto is right with the grass, it won't survive our climate.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 10:11 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Roberto

Nothing wrong with bringing plants back from Spain. I asked DEFRA whether I could take plants TO Spain and was told that as long as they had been grown in the EU and looked disease free there wouldn't be a problem.

So, even though you brought back dinner for the slugs and snails, if DEFRA say it's OK, then you can quit feeling guilty!

Next time, put gravel around them!

Irene

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 10:27 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Actually Irene, I was the naughty one, not Roberto!!

You addressed this to the wrong robber!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 10:35 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Sorry Roberto - should have read it properly before I tried to ease the thief's conscience.

Same still applies though, so Fibby, you shouldn't feel too guilty. I've brought back plant cuttings from all over, but a lot of them I bring inside as houseplants. there's a lovely succulent that grows in Spain and it comes in all different colours. It's usually grown in hanging baskets. Anyway I brought back cuttings of several different colours and planted them all in a tall pot. They've being doing brilliantly on the patio all summer but I've had to donate them to my sister who has a greenhouse, because the first frost all but saw the whole lot off.

Irene

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 10:49 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

You are right Irene.............

The plant  I brought back, and put in my rockery,  that got eaten, was the same plant that my Mum brought back to the UK.

She put it in a plant pot, off the ground, in a chimney pot and it's a been a picture all summer.

Little pink flowers with catus type fleshy leaves.

Sadly, my Mum died on 30th September, 2 days after my birthday, she was 85 and had secondary breast cancer...........

I am going to take the chimney pot from her garden and hopefully, look after it from now on.

Maybe indoors to beat the frost?

She had 3 happy holidays in Spain in the last 3 years and I would be happy to know I am looking after her little bit of Spain.......

Regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 10:57 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Fibby

It's surprising what triggers sentimental memories. We've been clearing out and I found a piece of paper on which my Dad had written loads of cockney ryming slang for my daughter. He wrote this when she was about 12 or l3 and she's 32 now, but it still brought a great big lump to my throat when I found it.

Take lots of cuttings from your mum's plant - it sounds like the same one I requisitioned (sounds better than pinched) - and that way you'll never lose it.

If you can't bring it into a greenhouse, maybe you should wrap it in that garden blanketing stuff or bubble wrap (so long as you don't suffocate it!)

Irene

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 11:18 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Irene,

Your Dad, my husband, of the same denomination then, born within the sound of the Bow Bells?

So: (If I can say it right!)

Went for a walk down the frog and toad tonight, to the rub a tub tub, but got grief from the trouble and strife.

Saw me old china, bought him a pig and had a rabbit about his teapots.

Got back home and me plates of meat  were killing me.

So, I think I turn in and go up the apple and pears soon.

Have a kip, night geezer!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 11:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Maybe it was the whiff of grass from the neighbour's yard (strictly for their own use, you understand), but I don't think it was my typing, Fibs. It seems some html code or somefink crept into my post, but you'd have to ask Justin why - it weren't me, luv, honest!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Nov 2008 10:45 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I believe you!

Just one look at your little monkey shaking his head convinced me!

I love him, he is so sweet, just like newly mown grass....................

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

POLARIS WORLD NIGHTMARE CONDADO DE ALHAMA - 28 posts
CAR HIRE SEARCH.............. - 0 posts
Freshwater fishing equipment - 1 posts
Spanish Seasons - 6 posts
Good discount stores for TVs? - 4 posts
Christmas EOS dinner - 24 posts
Supermarket opening times - 7 posts
HELP..................lost in JUNK ? - 12 posts
Wood burning stoves - 26 posts
Booking flights and paying in Euros - 7 posts
The rain in Spain - 9 posts
The Compensation Letter - 2 posts
Riviera Del Sol - 2 posts
Skiing on the Sierra Nevada - 1 posts
just moved to Alcoy - 1 posts
Heating a house nr Los gallardos, almeria - 2 posts
el soto short course championships - 1 posts
golf tournament at el soto club de golf - 2 posts
Wood burning stoves - 2 posts
2 and half months for succesful execution of Bank Guarantee - 10 posts
Antiques for Sale - 0 posts
Christmas Shopping - 0 posts
Moving out early - 0 posts
help - 9 posts
Long term Rental Required - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x