Wood burning stoves

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar

Were can I buy Wood burning stoves Costa Blanca south area.

Cheers Derek

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 10:39 AM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar

Try Leroy Merlin at the Condomina or Avolinos Fortuna

Plenty of Dead Wood at Stamford Bridge and Eastlands

Lionel

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 5:51 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

I've emailed you details of a guy at Los Montesinos, speaks English and has experience at Las Kalendas.

He is also aware of some of the problems experienced by open/insert  fire users - decorative beams going into the flue area and chimney breasts not being lined so that they shatter the first time a fire is lit!

Leyroy Merlin do sell them and offer a fitting service, but they may not know of the above problem.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 9:40 PM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for one that will enclose the fireplace opening, I would imaging it would have to be bespoke.

cheers Derek.

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 7:11 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar

Friends of ours have found that buying on the Internet is around 50% cheaper, even wioth shipping than buying locally....will get the url if you are interested. What they also told us that all UK based places they tried said that there are delays now as everyone is buying them

Like 0      
16 Nov 2008 10:27 AM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

Derek

The type of fire you are after is called an insert and IF the fireplace is built properly then an off the shelf one of the appropriate size will fit.

I'd strongly advise having a professional installation rather than tryind to DIY.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2008 12:43 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

I definitely endorse what Dennis says about professional installation for built-in fires. And even then you have to make sure they do it properly - it has to have a gap all round and be surrounded by fire bricks, plus the chimney needs to be properly insulated and installed as well or you will end up with, at best, cracks in the plaster, at worst loads of choking smoke in the house.  We had an allegedly professional builder do our first one and we had to dismantle the whole thing and do it again.  Probably the safest bet is local Spanish company to supply and install.  As is always the case, the locals can't run away from their mistakes so they tend to be more careful to do it right!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 2:48 PM by rentals-costablanca Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi

Can anyone give me the name/number, e-mail of someeone who can sort out an already installed wood burning stove? The chimney was never fitted properly when first installed and leaks black tar type stuff, smoke into the room, lets in rain water and is cracking the ceiling. 

I have read the tubing should have an inner piping - it doesn't so I know its all wrong!

I need to contact someone who knows what they are doing (thought I did that the first time, to my mistake!).

I'm in the Los Altos area (near Torrevieja)

Thanks, Sue

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 8:50 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

I've PM'd details.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 9:17 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

It sounds like you have been burning firewood with a high resin contebt or you have the wrong type of flue fitted. If you only have a single wall flue it will not correctly. A lot of people instal a woodburner just using a single wall flue. It will work for a while but becase it is single wall the hot flue gas coming from the wood burned will solidify within the flue and eventually block it. There are a number of products on the market the claim to clear the resin from a flue but so far in my experiance I have not found any that work. Unfortunately with a flue as opposed to a chimney it cannot be simply cleaned by sweeping. If you do have a single wall flue then in the long term the only answer would be to take it out and fit a twin wall insulated flue.

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
17 Mar 2013 5:12 PM by q-pilot Star rating in When in the UK, Leic.... 12 posts Send private message

q-pilot´s avatar
Just picked up on this thread. I am a uk chimney sweep and have been doing some sweeping here in Spain. I have found that most of the installs I've visited have been very tarred and often blocked due to the nature of the fuel being burned. For this reason, I am now exclusively rotary power sweeping all flues I do here to remove tar deposits. You are correct that normal brush sweeping will not remove all tar and creosote deposits and can lead to a false sense of security when soft soot is removed to expose a more volatile layer of creosote. The chimney cleaning logs and powder products do have some use but it even say on the pack that it is not a substitute for sweeping. What they do is help to crystallise the tar making it break away and fall back into the stove, but once you have the problem they need to be used much more than the pack says. If you have a multi fuel burner, burning cheap smokeless now and again has the same effect. I am happy to advise anyone, near or far on the safe use and fuels for wood stoves in Spain.
Mark Aylett
Guild of master chimney sweeps regestered (in the uk)

Like 0      
17 Mar 2013 9:40 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Excellent answer, it sounds as though you are familar with the problems with burning the sort of junk that people use for heat here in Spain. If you send me your details I will pass them on to anyone who asks. What area do you cover

chris@homecomforts.es   

Like 0      
18 Mar 2013 12:58 AM by q-pilot Star rating in When in the UK, Leic.... 12 posts Send private message

q-pilot´s avatar

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Here in the UK, I can criticize users for burning 'junk' as there is a plentiful supply of quality fuel, but in Spain, good quality wood is hard to come by - it simply isn't what grows locally. One of the biggest problems with wood burning in the UK, is burning fuel with too high a moisture content, but in Spain it's the opposite. Ideally, wood fuel should contain about 15% moisture which will control the speed the fuel is burned, but in Spain, wood tends to get too dry and burn too fast. This often results in shutting down the air vents or 'slumbering' the stove, which in turn results in greater creosote deposits (before we start on Carbon Monoxide emissions!).

I am based in LK, Fortuna in Spain and generally work within a 20Km radius. I will travel further but obviously need to charge a little extra to cover fuel costs. I can be contacted at sweep at chimneydoc dot co dot uk and we will be back again over Easter. I have in the past said that I will make special 'sweeping trips' if there is demand but so many of the contacts I get are from people who already have a blockage - I guess there is still much educating to do!  

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 1:02 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Interesting thread.

I am looking into getting a Norwegian-style wood-stove installed. I believe the house had a stove in the past as there is a flue in the celing of the living room. The metal flue exends about 5 cm down from the celing and there is a round piece of material (possibly chipwood) inserted to block the hole (I'm not sure how its fixed, but so far I haven't managed to dislodge it). There is a masonry chimney on the roof above this location and I guess the flue extends up this.

My previous thought was that if I get my stove, all I need to do is unblock this flue and connect up the flue pipes (if they are of the same diameter). But maybe seeing this is probably on older installation, the flue should be changed for a modern double-walled one?

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 1:22 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

A twin wall flue is more efficient and will work better than a single wall flue. It might be worth seeing how difficult it would be the change your exisiting flue for a twin walled one. You might find that currently you just have a single length of flue to enable a stove to be connected to it

chris@homecomforts.es   

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 4:03 PM by q-pilot Star rating in When in the UK, Leic.... 12 posts Send private message

q-pilot´s avatar

You need to get to look either through the blocked off flue pipe or from the top to see what's going on. The chipboard block may have been hammered into place if there's no apparent fitting. Try drilling a hole near to the edge (not too near) that you can push a strong screw driver through and either pull down with that or use it to tap with a hammer, sideways to get the block rotating. 

It's most likely that they've just pushed a bit of flue pipe into the chimney as a joint piece. If you replace it, consider how it will be swept and where the soot waste will end up. If the current pipe projects up say 300mm into the chimney and has not been internally funneled, there is potential for soot and tar waste to fall around it, and would add fuel to any future potential chimney fire. As Chris says, if there is room in the chimney, a twin wall all the way up will be more efficient and more easily cleaned, but if there is not room, consider a flexible stainless liner. This will need to be secured at the top, and preferably back filled with vermiculite to keep the heat in the flue. 

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 8:41 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Can anyone recommend a good wood stove installer in the malaga area?

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 9:14 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

05 Feb 2014 12:08 AM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Not heard of them but they look pretty good. Make sure they are insured and ask for a few people they have worked for that will vouch for them

chris@homecomforts.es   

Like 0      
05 Feb 2014 12:23 AM by q-pilot Star rating in When in the UK, Leic.... 12 posts Send private message

q-pilot´s avatar

Not sure what all the stoves are. They seem to have given the stoves their own names, mostly after Spanish cities. The more contemparay looking ones are FireBelly stoves, a british company, but I'm not sure what the ugly ones are. I am on a professional chimney sweep forum in the UK and have posted pictures there so I will get back to you. 

€130 for a sweep! I only charge €45 in Spain and that's for rotary power sweeping - and I'm Guild of master Sweeps registered in the UK! Guess I'll be spending more time here!

Like 3      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Booking flights and paying in Euros - 7 posts
The rain in Spain - 9 posts
The Compensation Letter - 2 posts
Riviera Del Sol - 2 posts
Skiing on the Sierra Nevada - 1 posts
just moved to Alcoy - 1 posts
Heating a house nr Los gallardos, almeria - 2 posts
el soto short course championships - 1 posts
golf tournament at el soto club de golf - 2 posts
Wood burning stoves - 2 posts
2 and half months for succesful execution of Bank Guarantee - 10 posts
Antiques for Sale - 0 posts
Christmas Shopping - 0 posts
Moving out early - 0 posts
help - 9 posts
Long term Rental Required - 6 posts
I don't want to start ANOTHER war...............BUT................. - 2 posts
Long term let required within walking distance of Estepona port - 0 posts
Did you see ?? - 14 posts
Lease cars - 0 posts
Dog Friendly Hotels - 7 posts
Music Lessons: Possible skill exchange witth Spanish Language lessons? - 0 posts
Ryanair stopping some flights - 10 posts
Finca wanted in Mijas Costa - 1 posts
Help For Heroes - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x