Living in Real Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by fuentearriba Star rating in Lubrin, almeria. 11 posts Send private message

10 years ago I was blessed with the luck of finding Lubrin, a small very Spanish village,  nestling some 2000ft above and just 45 minutes from,  the Costa del Almeria at Mojacar. What a difference 45 minutes makes!!!!!

I am a retired Chartered Surveyor who has worked in many overseas countries and soon learned that [I]its not the place that matters but the people![/I]

The Lubrinenses  are so proud that I have chosen to live in their humble village and do not expect them to speak English, or Welsh as I come from a small Welsh mining village!!!

Lubrin is a time warp that reminds me so much of my childhood where we had only enough money to live on but had such a wonderful childhood with just our imagination and the mountains and valleys.

When I first arrived the village its traditional industries of agriculture and animal husbandry were already in decline, similar to coal mining in  South Wales. But what was NOT in decline was the importance of the family unit and it this inherent strength that can overcome booms and busts and credit crunches.

How wonderful to walk through the village on a summer's evening and see groups of neighbours sitting out in the street and chatting ( a real live forum!)and the children setting up cardboard box counters and playing shop!!

I soon abandoned my Spanish learning tools and simply picked up enough Spanish on the hoof to communicate with my neighbours. Many of these neighbours are now good friends and I must admit that a social occasion is difficult but very enjoyable. "NO PAIN NO GAIN"

Being able to converse  opens up a new dimension to life in Spain and you know that you have arrived when you can share a joke!

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 8:20 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi

Is this your website?

http://www.fuente-arriba.com/

It does look very nice around there.  I think we may have to make a trip up there. How long have you been running the B & B there for?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 2:27 PM by fuentearriba Star rating in Lubrin, almeria. 11 posts Send private message

Justin,

We offer fully self catering apartments  and have been doing so for the past 4 years,

Expected this year to be slow but ended up our busiest!

John

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 3:36 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi John

Great to hear that it's going well.  All we seem to hear these days is the total opposite!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 1:47 PM by crispycat Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

crispycat´s avatar

Hope all still going well for you in Lubrin, sounds gorgeous !!

you are right about the people

we feel the same way about Campillos

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 6:42 PM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

I think people are beggining to prefer the Real Spain, our Bed and Breakfast is busy, especially with short breaks!!

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 7:37 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Cazzy, if you have a website for your B&B remember that it's within the rules to put a link to in your forum signature.  You can set this in the forum profile, which is under the "Community" tab in the menu.

Glad to hear your busy though, especially in these tough times.

Justin

Like 0      
28 Feb 2009 8:16 PM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

Thanks, just changed it!!

Like 0      
01 Mar 2009 7:10 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Congrats Cazzy!

Good for the change to real spain! Much more substantious and fun... I can promise

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 4:44 AM by Elle2009 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

glad its going well for you cazzy, lets hope it stays busy

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Painting Holidays - 6 posts
Driving a Scooter in Spain - 7 posts
No Water - 4 posts
im in hospital - 6 posts
impoting terrace furniture - 0 posts
deeds - 3 posts
deeds - 0 posts
Huma: Interest and Compensation or just your money back! - 1 posts
Costa Blanca North - 0 posts
Free guides to buying a property, healthcare/pensions and taxation issues in Spain - 0 posts
swap 2bed penthouse in costa del sol for uk property - 1 posts
Power of Thought - 38 posts
Ghost towns in spain - 1 posts
Finally I have handed my notice in - 15 posts
Mortgages - help! - 1 posts
HealthCare Dillema - 5 posts
Part exchange deals - 5 posts
The Emperor´s new cloth - 3 posts
Removals/Man with Van - 2 posts
New podcast posted on Bravachat - 0 posts
Alicante to Los Alcazares - 3 posts
Tomtom use in Spain ? - 25 posts
plusvalia tax - 8 posts
Painting garden and boundary walls. - 1 posts
swap 3 bed villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon) pref) - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x