Taxes & charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Just looking at some flights from Leeds to Alicante. The airline in question was originally offering £0.00 flights with £10 taxes and charges, so £20 for my Son and I. Some 3 weeks later, the flights are still £0.00 but the taxes and charges are now £30ea. How does that work? Surely there hasn't been a huge increase in taxation in the last few weeks, neither have landing fees at Alicante increased hugely. I know it is just another way of raising prices but i'd love to know how they arrive at their prices.

This isn't intended to be a "bash an airline" thread, just trying to get my head around charges.

Mark

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 11:17 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

I looked at some Jet2 flights this morning, and I noticed that when you select a day it tells you what the charges are, but interestingly selecting different days, and by just a day or so (same route) the charges differed by a few pounds. So that implies it may be cheaper to travel on certain days of the week, from a charges perspective

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 2:39 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I realise the charges may be cheaper on different days of the week, but these charges have differed so much for the exact same flight on the same day!!

Mark

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 4:41 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

I had no idea that the charges could differ depending on the day of travel until I was playing about this morning. I was always under the impression that the charges would be the same (for the same route) no matter when you travelled. 

I generally find the charges are about £30-40 for a return, maybe on the day you originally looked there had been a mistake at a tenner? Or it really was a genuine bargain!

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 4:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
It's the first day they fly from Leeds to Alicante which is probably why it was free with low charges, bit of a loss leader perhaps?

Mark

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 9:40 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
I can only repeat an earlier posting called Breakdown of flight costs

This is the current breakdown for 2 Monarch return flights Gatwick to Murcia Jan/Feb 2009

Flight Costs

Air Fare:

£19.96

Air Passenger Duty:

£20.00

Fuel supplement:

£32.00

Passenger service charge:

£24.60

Airport departure tax:

£7.60

Airport handling Charge:

£4.14

Fee Sub-Total:

£4.99

Services Sub-Total:

£0.00

Total Cost (original pricing currency):

£113.29

As you can see each way flight was £4.99 but a fuel surcharge adds £8 pp each way, I still think it is possible that other airlines are adding in extra charges, not necessarily taxes, as and when it suits them.

This is despite the recent fall in oil price from $150 back to $82 as Markfish has mentioned, obviously they have all bought fuel forward as they know they can pass it on to passengers.

Despite EU protestations airlines will not advertise all in cost until you have nearly completed the booking.
In effect advertised prices are still a farce but at least prices are still competitive at certain times and hopefully will have to stay so whilst this financial crisis continues.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HELLO ALL - 4 posts
Parador's Payment Schedule! - 2 posts
Poliza de Afiancamiento - 2 posts
Nicky - 0 posts
jinlun 125 cruiser for sale - 5 posts
Air Conditioning - 9 posts
You know that you are old when.................................................... - 2 posts
Alboran v La Envia - 0 posts
dongles and werbles - 6 posts
Live(ish) flight arrivals/ departures information - 2 posts
PE RATTAN FURNITURE - 2 posts
OUT OF WORK. - 5 posts
Fraudulent 'Owners' - 22 posts
Is this true? - 1 posts
Credit Crunch - 34 posts
Foro de Villas del Arenal en nuevosvecinos.com - 14 posts
CHEAP FLIGHTS TO SPAIN - 11 posts
Fruit Trees? Off Plan development? LHD vs RHD, Negativity? Mobile broadband? Selling up? Renting? ARRRR!! - 8 posts
Spanish government will adapt measures to increase guarantees on deposits with Banks - 1 posts
Entertainment on the Costa Blanca - 2 posts
FROM the COASTRIDER...............planning permission for 2.4 dish......... - 5 posts
Tourist Plates - 19 posts
Air Conditoning engineer - Estepona - 8 posts
Life in Menorca - 3 posts
Kitting out apartment - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x