Tax on UK rental income

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi,

I am planning to move to Spain in January and was planning to rent out our UK property.  As I understand it, I need to apply to join the Non-resident Landlord Scheme with HMRC so that I won't pay any tax (from rental income) in the UK.  This will mean paying the tax in Spain. 

In the UK, mortgage interest, letting agent fees etc. are all tax deductible.  Is this the same in Spain?  Can anyone point me in the direction of a website for further info?

Thanks in advance

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 3:29 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Can no one help this poor guy? I have the same question. 

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 4:23 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Acapulco,

From doing some digging around and speaking to people, it looks like I would have to pay tax on my UK rental income in the UK, not in Spain.   Once you join the Non-resident Landlord Scheme with HMRC, the letting agent will not deduct tax from the rental income.  HRMC will then make a decision as to whether or not we will need to complete a tax return.  Because we are only likely to make a small profit after fees, mortgage interest etc and because we can take in to account our UK personal tax allowances, it is unlikely that we will be asked to fill in a UK tax return.  

As far as the Spanish side of things are concerned, because of the double taxation agreement, we would not be liable to pay any tax in Spain on our UK rental income.

I may be wrong, but that was my interpretation. 

If you find out otherwise, let me know.

Cheers

David

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 4:37 PM by Bellarina Star rating in Oxford. 31 posts Send private message

Hello,

As far as I'm aware you cannot deduct expenses from your rental income for tax purposes. We do not actually have an advice page on this yet on the website I link to below, but this is  something that will be coming shortly.

Rental income tax is 25 per cent of gross income if you are non-resident (correct as of March this year) in Spain.

I am working on some more country specific advice pages, but this is a work in progress so keep checking in!

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 4:49 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Bellarina,

Are you talking about rental income from a Spanish property here?

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 4:54 PM by Bellarina Star rating in Oxford. 31 posts Send private message

Hi,

Yes I am - were you asking if tax from property in the UK could have expenses deducted? In that case I'm not sure off hand. I know you can apply to have your rental income untaxed in the UK via the Non-Residents Landlord Scheme but as for in Spain I shall try and find out for you.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 4:57 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Yeah, I was talking about tax on my UK property.  I think I've worked out that I won't have any tax liabilities in Spain on my UK property and probably not in the UK either (because I can use my personal tax allowances).

cheers

David

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 11/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 6:28 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

I have read that Spanish tax is 25% of 50% of the rental incom . Does anyone have knowledge of this?

As am retired and have no mortgage I only have my personal allowance which is wiped out by my pension.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 8:07 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Acapulco,

If it's a Spanish property you are renting out, I think you will need to pay tax in Spain, but not sure about the rates   I don't think  your UK  personal allowance could have been used for tax relief on a Spanish property anyway.

David

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 9:48 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Sorry, I did not make it clear. It is a UK property we want to rent out.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

private messages - 2 posts
Contact me if you are looking to buy in block 7 - open to all offers!! - 1 posts
Ex-Presidents thread (others welcome) - 3 posts
Teenagers and vocational courses in Spain after leaving school in Costa Blanca Region ( Javea) - 0 posts
HOW SAFE IS MONEY IN SPANISH BANKS - 8 posts
Buying a car in Spain - 1 posts
Cattorce in Benijovar - 6 posts
Cox/Callosa/Orihuela area of Costa Blanca South - 0 posts
Advice wanted please!!! - 2 posts
Who can be president of community - 6 posts
Public Pools - 0 posts
Nice to be here - from Alan & Julie - 1 posts
An Innocent abroad - 0 posts
Can I trust my Laywers - 1 posts
wanted lovely family home to rent - 2 posts
Hypothetical scenario - 3 posts
CLOVER PROPERTIES - 2 posts
A Newbie ! - 0 posts
is this right regarding the Habitation licence - 2 posts
Credit Crunch & Developers - 7 posts
Almeria - 13 posts
The Wok Vera Playa Almeria- is it still open? - 19 posts
Advice: best way to drive-Manchester to Almeria - 3 posts
Yearly Cost of a Spanish Bank Account - 19 posts
new kid on the block - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x