Travel Insurance?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by superdon Star rating. 127 posts Send private message

Not sure which forum post this in really!

Our annual worldwide travel insurance has just expired, and we are wanting to renew.

Now we have our holiday home in spain, we plan to only visit there in the next 12 months, so know we only need european cover.

The question is, as we already have home insurance here in the UK that covers baggage, and contents insurance in spain at our apartment. What cover do we actually need????

Do we just need a very basic (and cheap) policy that just covers the major things like medical costs etc?

I pay enough for insurances already without over insuring myself!

Like 0      
01 Sep 2008 9:21 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi you can have an free   E1 11 card for europe  free from the post office and it lasts 5 yrs, it does not cover all medical costs just get a cheap yearly holiday insurance then your ok ,and my yearly travel ins can exclude baggage and this reduces the cost to bye irene

Like 0      
01 Sep 2008 10:10 PM by superdon Star rating. 127 posts Send private message

thanks irene - thats the answer i was thinking

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 3:16 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
HI.  Yes, the EHIC replaced the E111 a year or so back.  It will give you cover for emergency treatment but will not cover things like repatriation if (heaven forbid) needed.  It will also not cover the cost of extra flights back should you be forced to miss the one you have booked.  Direct Travel insurance do a very good annual European cover (direct-travel.co.uk) for £92 a year for a couple for an unlimited amount of trips up to 62 days at a time.  This does not cover holiday cancellation which puts it up to £113 if you want that.  Shorter trips of up to 30 days are only £29.90 and £39.10 respectively.  That is per couple, not per person.  We use the £39.10 option (in case we have to cancel flights at short notice) which we think is very good value.  We don't add personal effects or money as these are covered by our household policy.

Edited to add:
When applying for the EHIC, make sure you use the NHS website as this is free. https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do
Some other sites come up when you search for EHIC and they charge you for the "service" of applying for you.  The NHS do not charge for this card.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 9/2/2008.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 4:37 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Two years ago I suffered a heart attack and had an angiogram (I think that's how it's spelt!) at Glenfield Hospital, Leicester. As I didn't actually have to have a by-pass or other major surgery, my old travel insurance company agreed to cover me for European travel only for an aditional surcharge on my policy of £75. Next week we are going to the Carribbean for 14 nights so I had to get worldwide cover.
The quotes started at £350 up to over £600 for a single trip!

I was given the number for a broker in Halifax and it was suggested that I might give them a ring - - - they are covering me for £46 for the trip!! Needless to say, I am moving my European cover to them on an annual basis when my old policy expires!

Rather than advertise names etc on open forum, if anyone's interested, pm me and I'll let you have their addy and phone number.

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Iberbanda & Telefónica - 4 posts
Help me make the right decision - 6 posts
125cc Scooter for sale - 7 posts
new owners - 1 posts
Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2 D4D Sport 177cv For Sale - 0 posts
Want to move to Spain but have a brain tumour! - 11 posts
Key Holder/cleaner - 1 posts
Employment in Spain (Around Malaga Area) - 4 posts
2,000 Picture Frames for Sale - Start New Business in Spain??? - 0 posts
Proxy voting at the AGM or EGM - 37 posts
Problems with Furniture and Interiors Company, Mijas - 14 posts
Breakdown of flight costs - 1 posts
singer - 0 posts
Singer required - 1 posts
Marbella Court protects a promoter who sold illegal floors - 2 posts
Moped Wanted - 1 posts
Problems with Ryanair website - 2 posts
Holiday home owners warned they buy at their own risk - 0 posts
Question for Georgia (or anyone else that can answer) - 0 posts
TELMICRO BACK? - 24 posts
Community fees - expected to pay more! - 13 posts
ESCRITURA - 20 posts
Help with postage, posting a letter. - 6 posts
Jacuzzis/Hot Tubs - 17 posts
title deed - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x