DRIVERS! - Don't get nicked!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

There has been a fair amount of commentary in the English press in Spain regarding Guardia Civil Trafico fining people for minor infringements.

Sad to say, this is true and it seems that President Zapatero has learnt much from the Blair/Brown experience of soaking the motorists to plug holes in their treasury finances.

So – be warned.  This is a popular trick that cost me 150€ and 4 points:

When approaching a STOP sign you must stop and be seen to stop.  I crossed a country cross-roads (STOP sign twisted out of shape due to being hit by something previously, and thus invisible, NO road markings, NO traffic, No donkeys, bikes, pedestrians.  Excellent visibility).  I was travelling at no more than 2 km/hour as I was trying to read a back to front sign as I was lost.  And there they were – hiding behind some bushes.

So – be careful.  This is not about road safety – it is just using the motorist as a cash cow. 

You may say that I could have contested it in court.  I was advised against it by my solicitor, as it would have cost me much more in time and money than I can afford.

So, they have you by the short and curlies.  Just don't give them the opportunity!

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 1:30 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

I'm always nervous of police as I now think that as an ordinary  law abiding but car driving citizen you don't actually have any recourse.  To make it worse all non GB police carry guns so you don' t really want to argue. 

Your experience is very similar to what happens in Morocco.  The police there set up road blocks, the locals believe they are looking for someone or something, in reality it's to screw the motorists.  Over the years we've been stopped loads of times, once for allegedly going to too fast minutes after nearly being forced off the road by a local. The best one was when they were standing in the motorway with their hands up.  At least now they set up a radar camera in the central reservation of the motorway.  They know people go too fast because they're so empty as the locals can't afford to use, logically only tourists or rich people use them. BUT if they know you or you're driving a car with government plates they'll leave you alone.  

It's just a money making exercise to subsidise their salaries and commonly accepted by everyone. If you ask for paperwork to support the fine you're then told it wil cost you more. We've been driving over there for more than 35 years but are now seriously considering stopping as it's so scary and expensive - 2 days car hire equal 10 days Malaga.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 5:12 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Couple of other goodies:

- If they tell you to get out of the car, put on your reflective jacket first!!!!  Yes, they'll have you if you don't.

- Recently heard of someone getting fined for wearing sandals (Traffic or sartorial police, I don't know!)

They want your money and President Señor Bean is going to have it one way or another.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Body piercing in Spain - 0 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 3 posts
More bomb blasts in Malaga area - 0 posts
Another Earthquake - 19 posts
where do we start???? - 4 posts
Alcaidesa: the unknown area - 10 posts
Looking for places to eat around Condado de Alhama - 9 posts
Brilliant Spanish forum, members helping with translating everything imaginable - 0 posts
Hotel.com great offer.Grab £25 voucher to get free worldwide rooms. (A Martin moneysaver). - 0 posts
hola to all veranda - 1 posts
hola to all veranda - 0 posts
Recent Visit - 2 posts
Watched via the PC, alternative "TV" in Spain - 14 posts
Los Hidalgos Manilva - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 2 posts
Leaving the rat race - 18 posts
PRESIDENT OF A COMMUNITY - 34 posts
Olympic Men's Four Final - 4 posts
JET2 FLIGHT CHANGE 2009 - 2 posts
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - 6 posts
Communidad de Propietarios to apply for Cédula. - 7 posts
Algeciras - 0 posts
Summer Holiday at Parque Botanico - 7 posts
moving to spain - 3 posts
schools - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x