Long Let Security against bad tenants

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by chelseaphil Star rating in near Mojacar. 25 posts Send private message

I hope the moderators do not object to me posting this here. But in the current climate of more people coming to Spain looking for long lets and the problems that this can bring to landlords I think the scheme I discuss could be useful to landlords.

I have run a property rental website for Spain for the last 8 years. So my knowledge is extensive on the issues surrounding property letting. Hence this posting.

Due to a number of my advertisers having had difficulty in removing tenants from their property following a long let this year.  I decided to do some research into methods of preventing this.

If you own a property that has a long let tenant in Spain it can be notoriously difficult to get a tenant out if they do not want to leave.  More so if they have been in there for more than 12 months.  It can take at least another 18months, lots of cash and no rental income to get them out.

With more and more people coming from the UK looking for a long let property rather than buying this type of thing may recur more and more often.

I have found a solution.  A company that does a thorough reference check on the prospective tenants. If they pass the reference check they sign a special declaration / contract. This contract means that if at the end of the tenancy or if they are ever in serious breach of contract they can be removed from the property in less than 6 months, often inside 2 months. They are issued with a letter of court proceedings within 25days. This normally takes many months.

Because of the association of the company with the judiciary in Spain,(an agreement between the two) the 25 days is a reality.

Not only that, but the company will pay the monthly rental until the bad tenants are removed. (Assuming that the tenants have stopped paying rent).

Currently the scheme is for 6 or 12 month lets.  The scheme will have a minimum 3 month let option.

If anyone is interested in this scheme please get in touch with me via PM for more details.  Phil

Like 0      
05 Sep 2008 6:36 PM by woopeedoo Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Phil

I was under the impression that the law regarding letting of properties was for a maximum of 11 months anyway, so why would they be in a property for longer than that, unless they had signed up under another agreement?

Just a thought

Like 0      
05 Sep 2008 7:32 PM by chelseaphil Star rating in near Mojacar. 25 posts Send private message

Even though 11 months is 'supposed' to be the limit on a long let contract. If a tenant has it mind to stay there they will. Contract or no contract.  Then it is the devils own job to get them out.  During which time they will not be paying any rent.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2008 7:42 PM by woopeedoo Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Ahh i am with you now.. Well just one solution remains.. send the heavies in!!!

Always worked for me in the past, either that or have a friend (like me) in the Police lol

But i do understand what you are saying. The Spanish "legal system" is so inconsistent and has many flaws. One being, you can issue a denuncia against someone for loud music and they can be closed down imediately, but try and get someone out of your property even though their "legal" contract has expired??? 

I just dont understand why it doesnt hold up.. maybe more background checks to start with etc?

Like 0      
05 Sep 2008 11:43 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I second your post Cheleasphil - I met with this company a few months back on behalf of a couple of owners and it seemed pretty good. 

My only issue with it was the reference part as many expats who come here dont get a full time job or have a credit file as they are new.

Good luck with it

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

walking groups in costa blanca - 7 posts
Ryanair Debit/Credit Card Charges - 108 posts
Disappeared - 11 posts
More Community Problems - 30 posts
Driving schools near Coín?! - 8 posts
jean oldham - 7 posts
Any advice on this one please? - 105 posts
Oooops.....Pink Combat shorts!!! - 6 posts
A good Abogado in the Manilva area. - 4 posts
Mosa Golf User Rights - 0 posts
Need contact details of state schools in Spain, preferably Costa Blanca!asap???? - 3 posts
Dish Supplier? - 7 posts
Costa del Sol Bus Strike - 3 posts
Padron is a town in La Coruña (Galicia) - 1 posts
6 month rental - 0 posts
REFUSED BUILDING LICENSES - 11 posts
Looking for long term let preferably Alicante asap???Can u help??? - 10 posts
How to find electrical work in spain! - 16 posts
ClickFree auto back up 160GB portable multi PC hard drive is TSV on QVC NOW !! One day only. - 7 posts
Swimming Pool Construction - 1 posts
Swimming pool and other community issues - 19 posts
Bank Accounts - 4 posts
Conservatory or extention in Spain - 20 posts
shani - 4 posts
Would like to introduce ourselves. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x