hello from new member - at the 'should i?, shouldn't i? stage'

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by sitesafegirl Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

hello there

just introducing myself - i've been registered with the EOS site for about a week now, currently live in the southwest of England but seriously considering moving to Spain (not looking to buy as have property here).  I am a 43 year old. female.

Am hoping to meet some online friends for advice and information or just general chats.

Thought this would be a good way to get a true picture of what it's really like to live and work there in Spain.

Probably clutching at straws at the moment as my most recent work roles are in administration (NVQ4), health and safety in construction (NEBOSH Cert) (yes, I know!) and social care/support work (NVQ4)  - none of which I've seen many jobs advertised on Spanish websites or in the Spanish online papers.  I'm not fluent in Spanish which most admin jobs want; I've been made aware that Spain is not big on health and safety and that there are very few care/support work employers in Spain as the Spanish look after their own - so, unless anyone knows of any takers???.....

Anyway hope to get to know some nice people soon!

Like 0      
12 Jul 2008 2:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

sitesafegirl

There are a number of members who have asked much the same (about healthcare jobs in various areas of Spain) & I know they're having problems. Likely you'd have problems too. I know some members were considering setting up their own businesses because of the lack of healthcare which certainly expats would welcome. 

I've made endless friends on EOS, also met many in Spain. If you post a lot you get to "know" others.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2008 2:31 PM by sitesafegirl Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

thank you, morerosado, will bear that in mind, i'm not sure about the legalities of setting up as self-employed ie in someone's private home, as a carer, over in uk most care services are regulated by CSCI but i think it might be different if you work for someone privately in their own home -

whereabouts in somerset are you from, i'm  a few miles from torquay but inland?

Like 0      
12 Jul 2008 2:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi again, I'm on outskirts of Weston Super Mare. 

I did a seach as I remembered it was member "impey" (Torrevieja area on the CB) who had posted on the subject, also "Barbie" on the CDS in this thread. Click blue link to read it. 

working with the elderley in torrevieja

Like 0      
12 Jul 2008 2:58 PM by sitesafegirl Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

hi morerosado, thanks for the info - looks like there's plenty of people looking for the same work which is a good thing for someone who intends to set up an agency which it looks like some people are - i'll keep watching those spaces! 

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 10:47 AM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Hello,
What may be a gap in the market is the personal care of hospital patients. The family of patients is expected to give personal care/ feeding etc.
My OH is currently in hospital in Murcia and it is exhausting staying overnight in case he needs to get out of bed for toilet  or needs anything. 
Most of us here have no family in Spain and there are some personal things that you cannot ask friends to do. 
Not sure if there would be enough turnover but may be worth researching.
Jean

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 11:40 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hello Jean

I'm sorry to hear your husband is in hospital. I hope you have him home with you soon.

It really must be unbelievably tiring with that heat too, doing what you have to do for him.

I don't think these people based in San Pedro del Pinatar can help you as your situation is right now but you may like to save their details.

http://www.care4youinspain.com/ 

Contact details in here

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 12:07 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Thank you for your concern. Hopefully he will be back to torment me on Thursday. We will be seeing his consultant again tomorrow just to confirm.
It has been hard work but worth it to aid his recovery.  He was lucky he had a warning.
The health service has been fantastic, from the first GP visit through angioplasty,  and a coronary bypass in seven weeks! 
We cannot praise enough.
Jean

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 7:59 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
I met someone at the Asesor's office when I went to do my tax last month who is setting up an agency of a similar sort in Almeria.  There really is a need, particularly for the hospital care.  She is a nurse who is spending so much of her time doing that herself that she is finding it hard to actually get the business going.  However, I do think that in order to do the hospital care effectively you need quite a bit of Spanish as the carer really needs to be able to communicate with the staff, particularly in the case of an emergency.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car hire at Malaga Airport- full tank/full tank! - 20 posts
Spanish Lessons for my 2 children - 1 posts
Excange my NEW 2 Bed Apartment at LOS LOCOS BEACH for a 3 Bed House - 0 posts
Long Term Rent Wanted - 3 Bed House with Separate Apartment - 0 posts
Portable Air Con Unit Wanted - 1 posts
Happy 4th birthday Eye On Spain 12th July 2008 - 11 posts
Sending legal documents to Spain - 3 posts
Ant problem! - 1 posts
It's not just Spain where off plan goes wrong!! - 1 posts
TOWNHOUSE REQUIRED IN ALCIADESA BIRDIE CLUB FOR LONG TERM RENTAL - 0 posts
TOWNHOUSE REQUIRED FOR LONG TERM RENT AT ALCAIDESA BIRDIE CLUB - 1 posts
Scott Lucy,Living in the Sun? - 10 posts
Monthly transfers - 19 posts
EASYJET WINTER FLIGHT SCHEDULE HAS BEEN RELEASED - 10 posts
For Georgia - 1 posts
obtaining an nie - 0 posts
Euribor Rates - 39 posts
Personal Tax Allowance. - 3 posts
Telefonica Television - 2 posts
DAVE HILL - 1 posts
Completing in a couple of weeks - 7 posts
Sky free to view card - 4 posts
Mores wedding anniversary...congrats - 15 posts
SO MUCH doom and gloom (sadly) on forum lately, don't you think ? - 1 posts
WARNING - VALLEY ROMANO COMPLEX (FOOTBALL VILLAGE) - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x