Euro MPs get tough on airline ads

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Unashamedly poached from the BBC website here:

"The European Parliament has agreed to ban airlines from advertising fares that do not include the taxes and charges passengers have to pay.

The assembly heard that the "common position" of the parliament had been approved, which meant the issue was not formally voted on.

The new regulation is expected to come into force across the EU by the end of this year. "

About time I say . Click on the link above to read the whole story.

Mark

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 5:48 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Couldn't agree more Mark, I've just got used to doubling anything quoted to get a realistic idea of what I will be paying for a flight.

Now, they need to take on the car hire places. I have just been on to book a car from Manchester Airport when I go back tomorrow. I found a good quote but when I phoned them and asked what insurance excess applied they told me £650, to waive any excess doubled the cost of the hire. How many people realise that the excesses are so high - I didn't until recently.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 6:04 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
How much??????? .

Would something like this (I got it from the Ryanair magazine) be of any use? It seems that a small policy could save a lot in excess payments and would allow you to tae the cheap option.

Mark

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 7:27 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
We bought the European policy & they seemed pretty efficient with everything coming through quickly. Thankfully we haven't had to test out their claims department.

The great thing is that as long as the policy holders name is on the car rental agreement, it covers all other drivers as well.

I thought the airlines already had to advertise their fares including taxes. Wasn't that the reason why Ryanair shut their website down for 3 days so that they could revamp it. Although I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that they have gone back to the old way of quoting their prices.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 9:45 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Apparently Ryanair say this 

We regret, due to system slow down issues, we have been unable to display the tax inclusive fare box on this page, since 25/06/2008. We are currently working with our suppliers, including Navitaire & Microsoft to resolve these problems and hope to restore the tax, fees & charges inclusive display shortly. 

Amazingly all others have done it with no issues.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 11:40 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

What about the charges they add on at the end.  On another forum someone had booked a return flight for 4 people all on the same booking ref.  When paying the cr/dr fee was multiplied by 8 (each person x outward and inward journey) they later had to change the name of one person and had to pay the same fee again - outrageous.

Easyjet only charge you once at the end of the booking when you go to pay.  If you are booking more than one return flight under the same booking reference you only pay one fee.

As we are the people who are doing all the work I believe that's how it should be.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 11:49 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
I agree that the credit charge per person is totally unjustified.

The company that supplies the facility for the airline to take credit card payments would charge a % on the value (as Easyjet do) so it is just another money making scam.

I have to say that I am quite impressed with Easyjet because I changed the outward date of my flight in August & the agent that I spoke to immediately told me that it was cheaper to do myself online (long story because I already knew this). Eventually got online & changed it all & it was cheaper than the online price the agent had indicated & they didn't make me pay for luggage & speedy boarding all over again (which I understand some do).

In total had to pay £135 to change 2 flights but it still means that we paid only £150 for peak season flight & best of all it means that I get an extra 4 days in Spain & it is 4 days less until I go

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 7/9/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
10 Jul 2008 12:32 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

On our last trip out I was checking all the paperwork and realised that I'd only booked one case between the two of us, panic stations but I logged on EasyJet site and updated the booking for another case.  I paid another £10 and printed off an updated booking form, didn't have to pay anything else so very happy also with EasyJet.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2008 8:22 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I think everything that is compulsory (taxes/ surcharge/ wheelchair assistance premium/ credit card fee/ etc) should all be shown on the first page so that you know straight away what your basic flight will cost. Options, such as travel insurance, luggage, etc should then be clearly set out on the next page. From there on, there should be no extra surprises. Jet2 make you go through the whole process (including £2pp each way credit card fee), filling in passenger details and you then get to click the submit button to find the fuel surcarge added at the very last moment (up to £5pp each way) .

Mark

Like 0      
10 Jul 2008 12:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Semi, ONE CASE between the pair of you ??  Blimey, HOWEVER did you manage that, seeing as Easyjet's default setting gives you a case each !! 
You only ever leave the kitchen sink out of your case, don't you ?

Thanks for saying what happened when you changed it to two as we've booked one case between us for October & wondered how much Easyjet would charge should we later opt for a second case. 

Did you see we bought two small carry on cases from Argos dirt cheap in HERE ?

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2008 3:54 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Oi Missis, stop keep away trade secrets on a public forum

I still can't work out where I went wrong, the only thing I can say in my defence is that we don't normally travel out together.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2008 6:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Semi, one only have to search your posts to see you take half the town's £1 shop items over each trip !! 

Like 0      
10 Jul 2008 8:45 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

At my ladies lunch today I heard that these shops are increasing in popularity due the credit crunch.

Looks like I'm going to have to find another treasure trove as the shelves will soon be empty

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Alpha-Omega British school - 2 posts
Cogilcodos is in bankruptcy. - 1 posts
BAYLINER 175 BOWRIDER 2004 - 9 posts
Free to Air Satellite TV - 5 posts
Baby's Hostage Crisis at a Costa Blanca clinic - 0 posts
Be on your guard - 14 posts
Completion at los altos de la pedrera bigastro - 3 posts
Phoning Uk mobile in spain from UK mobile - 32 posts
Running groups?. . - 3 posts
Justin The Meeting in Sabinillas on Friday 11th at 7.00pm - 9 posts
business loans in spain - 2 posts
Business bank accounts - 1 posts
Parador Properties: Voluntary Administration - 1 posts
text of letter to register claim re Jumilla - 1 posts
Property management Campos de Guadalmina San Pedro. - 1 posts
More's Blog - 5 posts
Parador Gone into Administration - 31 posts
Any reccomendations or Tips for Driving Dog to Marbella - 28 posts
Contacts needed for builders / plumbers / electricians inland Murcia - 4 posts
Who lives in Block 4 Apartment No.9 1st Floor?? - 2 posts
Motocross practice tracks near to villa martin - 2 posts
20" case £6.97 suitable as hand luggage on offer at Argos only till tomorrow close (8th July) - 22 posts
Ciudad Quesada Estate Agents - 1 posts
Playa Blanca - Lanzarote - Estate Agents? - 0 posts
Medsea Estates - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x