sky tv in spain.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by keighty Star rating in bromsgrove but spain.... 22 posts Send private message

hi when we ever sell or rent owe house in sunny england and move to rainy spain, i am going to start my own business up fitting sky tv? is there much demand for this service??

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 6:06 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Will that be LEGAL sky or the same as we seem to get now, which apparently is not legal?

Can't make any sense of the recent goings on myself as we now seem to have sky back and other providers never lost it anyway!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 6:24 PM by keighty Star rating in bromsgrove but spain.... 22 posts Send private message

i've been told sky is legal in spain but its ellegal for any one from sky to work in spain as mr mr sky him self would not pay the spainish taxes.

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 6:46 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Think you might need to get another opinion on the legality of Sky in Spain.................especially as one provider CUT ALL the Sky programmes ( tho we have them back I think now ) and we were all told that all other providers would have to stop showing Sky eventually.
It seems the only way to do it is to but the Sky card and pay UK prices for viewing over here...........................and even tho there is one provider doing that I still am not sure it is legal.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 7:08 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
oh where to start.....

receiving tv channels that are broadcast for free via satellite is not illegal.
receiving subscription tv channels via satellite is not illegal.
using a sky card outside of the UK is not illegal. it is however against the terms and conditions of your sky contract - but how do they know that the card is out of the country ()

the rebroadcasting of any tv signals is illegal (unless you have the required copyright requests from the broadcasters and the programme makers - which they do not)

unfortunately there are many installers of sky, free and other european tv satellite services. To start from scratch could be a pain as many of the clients are done via word of mouth and recommentations - unless you find an area that really requires the service - i have heard that the north of spain does lack installers.

Hope this helps

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 7:22 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Telmicro Levante are claiming that now they only broadcast "RIGHTS PAID" channels,ther must be some truth in it as they have it flashing up on their channel every 5 mins.
I guess we will know the truth over the test of time.
They now broadcast as before but without sky movies (no great loss)
At least we have our beloved sky sports back for the new season...............

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 8:41 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
they may claim that, but they wold not have the correct permissions. they may be paying a sky subscription for a sky card in a sky digibox and then sending that signal out to ther clients (not allowed in the T&C's of sky contracts), but that is not the same as paying for the rights to rebroadcast!

for example, the FA sell the FA Premier league rights to broadcasters in each country. Sky and setanta have the rights to broadcast the games in the UK and Ireland ONLY. TVE won the rights to watch the premier league in Spain only. If sky were to allow the rebroadcasters to legally transmit their channels to spanish houses, sky would be in breach of its FA contract, and both the FA and TVE can take Sky to court for this breach. if sky wanted pan european rights for the fa prem league so that it could legitimatly broadcast over the whole of europe, they would have to pay the FA a lot more than the £2billion they pay for the 4 year UK only coverage. and then you must also think that their subscription prices will also increase dramatically. 

so sky, and other satellite services do the best they can to limit their channels to their own territories, either by restricting their signal (eg BBC and ITV on Astra 2D) or by issueing subscription cards to own territory houses.

so these rebroadcasters may say they can legally rebroadcast these SKY channels, but in truth they cannot. if you go to their office ask them if you can see a copy of the contract between them and sky or the beeb which allows them to rebroadcast.

i think that it is slightly different when rebroadcasting spainish free channels to spanish homes, but the same would still apply to spainish subscription tv (D+).

and EU law is unsure are to how to handle this area. it recognises freedom of movement of goods and services between member states, but then their TV and media recognised the difficulties of TV contracts and how it is almost impossible to impliment pan european tv contracts between member states!

i dont want this to turn into a sky / rebroadcasting / eu law bashing thread. but these are the facts explained as simply as i can.

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 6/18/2008.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 2:32 PM by fortunasat Star rating in Murcia. 14 posts Send private message

fortunasat´s avatar

** EDITED - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 28/11/2010.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2009 4:57 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

fortunsat...

Will you do us all a favour....

and STOP your blatant self-advertising!!!!

If you want to offer some help, and in doing so help promote your business that is one thing...

But your blatant self-advertising just annoys the HELL out of me... and quite a few others!!!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
09 Nov 2009 1:52 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

Get your Sky card via an address in the UK. or if you are still in the UK bring it with you. You will have no problems whatsoever. I've been happily watching Sky for years now in various European countries. My contract small print stated I needed a UK landline for a period of one year. Many people in the UK don't have landlines as they use Skype or similar or just a mobile but I can't imagine that they are barred from subscribing to Sky. Landlines are rapidly decreasing in number per head of population anyway.

The only problem I've found is with ESPN. Just recently the signal has got distorted after about thirty minutes of viewing and it becomes impossible to watch any further. Most annoying when in the middle of an exciting football match. We also seem to have lost Euronews in English and our Spanish tv channel.

So tobyw if you are reading this: I and many thousands of others are still receiving hundreds of Sky channels. I am still waiting for my arrest warrant!!

Like 0      
09 Nov 2009 5:07 PM by lazybones99 Star rating in Balsicis at the mome.... 3 posts Send private message

lazybones99´s avatar

Having just become a sky customer in the UK (I now use my sky box in France and Spain) I can answer the question on sky boxes and telephones, its very simple if you let sky connect your box to your landline phone then you are tied into a 12 month agreement to keep the phone line connected.

If you do as I did and told them that I had no landline their reply is " that’s ok it doesn’t matter but it will cost you £25 extra on the set up cost".

For those of you who don’t know what the phone link is for its so that you can use the interactive features i.e. book a box office movie, if I wanted a box office movie I would need to phone them via my mobile to book it which of course I am not stupid enough to do when abroad as it would alert them to the fact that I was viewing abroad,  the installing engineer told me that sky will stun your box if they find out you are viewing abroad.

Comments on the loss of some channels are valid, again the engineer told me that when abroad the satellite dish size and alignment become critical or the loss of some channels or no reception if its raining is a certainty.  His advice was;- a dish of at least 120 cm (look at the dishes around you as you may need bigger) and have it aligned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 2:28 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

A sensible post on Sky  - thanks. Much rubbish has been posted about Sky in Spain, you have stated precisely how it works.I make calls to order stuff using Skype which has a UK number so no problem. I can't be bothered to get someone in to align the dish as I get the hundreds of other channels available and we only watch ten of them at the very most. It's just nice to have the options.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2009 2:30 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

And just a thought - as the initial contract states you must have a UK line for twelve months, I don't suppose Sky  give a monkey's what you hasve or don't have after that. It's the UK address that's important.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 10:48 AM by fortunasat Star rating in Murcia. 14 posts Send private message

fortunasat´s avatar

** EDITED - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 28/11/2010.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2010 10:25 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

SKY BOXES & SKY CARDS IN SPAIN - When looking at purchasing a SKY box or SKY card to be used in Spain you should definately go for a box and card from a dealer in Spain as the new box and card will be registered as not being connected to the UK telephone line. I would suggest always finding a supplier that has been trading for many years in Spain to get the box and card for you plus you will not have to ever call sky directly.

If you are interested in SKY HD then do not be tempted in to buying from ebay, always look for a supplier here in Spain, so that should anything go wrong you have someone local that you can call.

If you get stuck feel free to PM me and I can try to point you in the right direction.

WARNING : "Special black boxes" many of you may have seen adverts in some of the local FREE EX-PAT papers offering a "special black box" that allows you to watch sky sports, sky movies, documentaries etc. These boxes are NOT Manufactured by SKY and are TOTALLY ILLEGAL "DO NOT RISK IT" always try and deal with a SKY TV SUPPLIER that is SL registered or that has been trading for many years. All "official" SKY boxes come with various user guides bearing the "SKY" logo, if it does not say "SKY" on the box then it is a "Illegal clone box" DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY only buy official SKY equipment.

This message was last edited by mrskytv on 27/11/2010.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2010 10:12 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

fortunasat, you need to take a moment to read the forum rules before you post again.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 1:33 PM by fortunasat Star rating in Murcia. 14 posts Send private message

fortunasat´s avatar

We was only saying we had the new 500gb HD Sky boxes in stock and the new 1tb boxes in

seems that this forum has different rules for different members maybe if we paid you money like others you would keep our comments on lol nothing is mentioined about EOS comments

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 2:28 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

Hi Fortunasat

What do you think of the new 500GB HD SKY "3D" ready satellite receiver?

I installed a 60" LED Display that we imported from UK and initially the client had a standard definition sky box when we attached the new SKY+HD Box the picture was almost lifelike, and the picture was so crisp and vibrant colours and they can now get CH4 HD (son is big brother fan)

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 10:37 PM by fortunasat Star rating in Murcia. 14 posts Send private message

fortunasat´s avatar

Hi mrSkyTv we also have the ne 60lcd and the new philips with the rear colour Lighting I was admiring the big concrete base you did the other day its better now clients are realising they need to be Installed better I wonder if thats why we are both so busy .

Kind Regards hope to see you at the big do cabo roig

Like 0      
01 Jan 2011 7:03 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

Yes you cannot beat a good concrete base! The new concrete system is working fantastic and there is no mess..Just taken delivery of my new 1.5 TB SKY+HD Box on Friday been testing it with the Panasonic LED TV been watching Harry Potter in 3D.. really impressed and with 1TB of personal storage I have been recording loads of stuff including the original "Italian Job" and in full high definition...

Keep your eye out for several new HD channels being added this month on SKY.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

sky tv in spain. - 4 posts
Who forgot to put 50p in the meter? - 0 posts
help i`m new !!!!!! - 3 posts
New members - 4 posts
Did I or what????????? - 9 posts
Hello Everyone... Urgent Advice Needed for a New member Please - 4 posts
Is it better to lose my 6,000 Euro deposit than to buy during this credit crunch? - 40 posts
Help with blog editing please........ - 2 posts
elloooooo!! - 18 posts
Cortes de Baza or Baza - 3 posts
Photos of model Royal Dream - 1 posts
Two 3ft single divan beds for sale - 0 posts
Another Mayor in Jail - 1 posts
Abusive Contract Clauses - 1 posts
residental caravan parks - 0 posts
Should we /should'nt we - 18 posts
beano - 2 posts
Anyone recomend a car dealer Cosat Calida/Murcia/South Costs Blanca - 0 posts
contract changes pre completion - 4 posts
Hello.. to all... - 4 posts
meeson villa salada - 1 posts
WANTED: PROPERTY IN COSTA DEL SOL (MARBELLA, FUENGIROLA OR BENALMADENA) - 15 posts
Whats the problem? - 2 posts
looking good - 4 posts
Power of Attorney - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x