Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I've just seen this in another forum.

May be telling people what they already know, but may be some people out there who do not.

We left the UK August last year and shortly after moving here we applied for a tax rebate using the ' Leaving the United Kingdom' form (P85), which we downloaded here in Spain.

When we applied I mentioned it to friends of ours who had moved out a few years ago and they said they hadn't even given it a thought when they moved.

Bloody glad we did. Just been to post box to collect the post and am delighted to say we have received a cheque in hubbies name. Hopefully mine is on it's way too Smile

Obviously don't want to disclose amount but can say it was WELL WORTH filling forms out etc. 

I looked for details & this is what I found. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm 

pdf download here

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 10:34 AM by wings Star rating in Leicester / Almoradi.... 26 posts Send private message

Thanks Morerosado.

Didn't think of that, added it to our list.

C

Like 0      
25 May 2008 5:42 PM by shar Star rating in Campo in Albatera, C.... 36 posts Send private message

shar´s avatar
We moved over here 4 years ago and the year after we arrived we also got a large chunk of the tax back that we had paid the year before.... well worth looking into and very very nice surprise, didnt quite beliee it until the cheque arrived and they needed to do a few security checks bu well worth it!

Good luck its nice to get some back for change!

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 3:41 PM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

So when i leave in september  is it worth me doing this too? I've been working with my current employer now for 8 years would it be the same for me or just s/e people??

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 3:45 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I take it that you pay tax under the PAYE system if so then when you leave the country then you can apply for a rebate, rather than wait till the end of the tax year.

Each tax year you are entitled to a personnel allowance before you pay any tax, it depends on your circumstances how much this is.  Normally you can work out how much this is by looking at your payslip.  If it says 535L then you can earn £5350 before the rate of tax kicks in.  It's averaged in over the year so anyone leaving the country before October will definately get a good rebate, obviously the nearer the end of the tax year the less it will be.

Have a look at the DWP website to find out what the current PA is and the rates of tax.  That will give you a rough idea of what you'll get back.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 4:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
It works like this:
Your tax will be taken out monthly assuming that you will earn the same throughout the year.  For example, if you get £20,000 a year, take off your personal allowance of £5350 and any child tax credits and  any professional expenses.  Say this comes to £6,000 a year so you will be taxed on £14,000.  At 22% you will pay £3,080 tax in a year.  Divide that by 12 and you will pay about £256 a month in tax.  If you stop work in September, you will have only earned 6 months of pay so you should only be taxed on £10,000 less your personal allowances so £4,000.  At 22% this is £880 or about £73 a month.  As you have already paid £256 a month for 6 months, you should get the difference back, or £1098 rebate approximately.  Of course, this all depends on your circumstances and allowances.  Of course, if you have stopped work and are getting a pension, the amount of pension will count towards how much you earn in a year so the rebate will be less.
Ask your tax office for a form P50.  Details on this site

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/stop-work-refund.htm

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 6:45 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

The tax position this year is still up in the air so to speak as the chancellor has egg on his face with the 10% tax which has been taken away and replaced with a flat rate of 20% for low to middle earners

I think they are going to introduce something else in October to put the smiles back on our faces, live in hope that they are going to refund us all but I doubt it.

Anyway as Bobaol has explained in full it's very easy to work out, most payslips give you the amount you have earned so far this tax year and how much tax you have paid.  So you'll be able to work it out with your trusty calculator

When you'll get your rebate is another question hope it won't take that long!

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 12:43 PM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Thank you all so much for your help, if i hadn't of read all that is on here i woudn't have even known about all of this...x

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 1:27 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
You know, I;ve been wanting to get one over on GB.

Now both the Mrs and I can!!!! Great!

Thanks More for starting the thread, and thanks all who posted a reply the last couple of days, as I had missed this little gem.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 6/9/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sunflower oil scare in Spain - 1 posts
Buying in Polaris World - Terrazas de la Torre - 5 posts
Have you or are you completing soon - would like to hear from you - 2 posts
Baby passport - 3 posts
What is my right - sky dish installation - 8 posts
Hand baggage rules at Gatwick Airport - 14 posts
Community Meeting - 0 posts
Do you require assistance in increasing your rental revenue?, we can help - 0 posts
Hi Everybody, hoping to move into new villa in Lorca shortly - 3 posts
Taking on Developers' Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming pool colour - 4 posts
And so the silly season begins - 4 posts
Sky Installation - Altos de Princess Kristina, Duquesa - 3 posts
Spanish Noises - 2 posts
THE CIRCUS IS STILL IN TOWN (FUETE DE PIEDRA ) - 21 posts
BANK VALUATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 13 posts
Contract Quality Speciation - 7 posts
NEW MEMBER - 4 posts
Selling a Property in Spain - 1 posts
Where do I find help to set up a business? - 25 posts
Moving to Spain next year.......Just A few questions! - 48 posts
Wonderful hotels, restaurants, theatres... in COSTA DE LA LUZ!!! A taste for the weekend - 1 posts
A good estate agent in Torreblanca/Fuengirola - 5 posts
Vagamar2 Rafal. Whats going on!!! - 3 posts
El Vegetariano Restaurant Altea - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x