Hand baggage rules at Gatwick Airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Does anyone know the do's and dont's with hand luggage at Gatwick Airport.? I notice on their web site they still only say one piece of hand luggage but the last time I went through I was prepared to stuff my handbag into  my holdall but no one asked me to. Was this just luck or have the rules been changed?  At Stansted they are very strict about the one piece rule and it's a real pain as I could take SO much more stuff with a hand bag as well.

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
26 Apr 2008 11:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Gillian

I think you were very lucky.

Click Gatwick airport security 

Bristol didn't used to be bothered & we used to take two matching holdalls plus a matching "hand bag" between the pair of us but one day a few trips ago they suddenly tightened up & it caused us so much hassle. Thankfully, it was winter & we both had waterproof 3in1 coats with us so we managed to stuff loads in the pockets & the handbag with soft items in then could be folded up & squashed into the holdall but, even then, the larger holdall zip wouldn't close & the lady, who had refused us through initially, told us the zip not being done up didn't matter !!!!! What a farce. We're always ready these days & are organised.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 10:30 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
I went through Gatwick on Thursday with a biggish handbag and a small wheel on cabin bag and nobody said anything (my husband also had a wheel on cabin bag)

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 10:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
It ought to be one rule for everyone (re baggage) at every UK airport. Also it's the not knowing & the stress of trying so hard to find out, only to not know yet again.  Can't keep up with

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 10:50 AM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

How right you are. The rules are very confusing. On our last trip people were told laptops had to be in hand luggage as only one item was allowed. Previously you could take one pc of hand luggage + a laptop. We also had to remove shoes, but the line next to us did not. So the rules change not just between airports but between the different lines going through security.

I also hate the fact that we now have to queue as an EU citizen rather than a UK citizen. I no longer feel welcome in my own country, or am I being paranoid?

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 1:33 PM by SpanishLinda Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 44 posts Send private message

SpanishLinda´s avatar
Gatwick Airport are saying that they have the equipment to handle two pieces of hand luggage per passenger, but this is very misleading as at the end of the day it's down to the invidividual airlines on what they let you take on board  You should check the website of the operator you are flying with if the information is not on your ticket.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 4:39 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

I too have been lucky at  Gatwick but officailly you are stil only allowed one piece of hand luggage although that is supposed to changed this year . In March we had to stuff everything into our suitcase .  Stupid thing is you could have six handbags and fit them into one bag and that is classifed as  one bag but if you have a wheelie suitcase and a handbag that is not allowed.  As soon as you are through security you can have as many bags as you like.  We usually fly  into Gib on British Airways/ GB airways , now that BA flights are too expensive we are using Easy Jet I am not sure what they allow but I am not going to chance it as our suitcases will be packed to the gunnels with towels. curtains etc.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 5:40 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

re Easyjet.  We flew out from Gatwick on 19th & back from Malaga on 23rd.  Only took a 'cabin' bag and just inside their preferred measurements, discounting wheels. When we went over in March we were amazed at what was allowed through on the Malaga side - much large bags - but I was too nervous to risk it as I think Gatwick is a bit stricter. I have to say NO-ONE has checked us yet.

I usually put my handbag in the case until I've cleared security and then take it out because, as you say, you can have any number of bags from all the duty free shops. Asked to remove shoes before metal detector at Gatwick but only after setting off detector at Malaga!  Also I've learned not to wear clothes with metallic thread as they set off the detectors. Got a lovely pair of jeans with metallic thread and sequins (bling! bling!) but after setting off detectors more than once OH has forbidden me to wear when travelling through airports.

I've taken through electric iron and toaster but does anyone know if a coffee grinder would be allowed? I'm thinking not because of the blades.  I've got a BAMIX hand held general purpose mixer that can be used as a grinder and I'd love to take over but we don't take hold luggage and I don't think security will allow its sharp little blades.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 9:23 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the replies they are really helpful.I will let you know how we get on this week - am going to risk a little bag on wheels and my LARGE LARGE (and getting larger by the minute as I stuff it to the brim )  handbag !

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 9:24 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

PS        AND THATS JUST JOHN !!!!!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
26 Sep 2009 10:54 AM by sanju121 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Travellers with hand baggage only who check in online (which you can now do on most scheduled airlines) will avoid delays at check-in desks and have to queue only at the travel security gate

Like 0      
26 Sep 2009 7:32 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Yes that's right but you can still find someone even at that initial gate (where you first show your passport) checking the size of your hand baggage. Easyjet do seem to be tightening up on it and the last time we flew they were checking sizes at the boarding gate and checking those oversized into the hold.The only up side to this is at least then you don't pay extra (unless that's now changed ) and just have the hassle of waiting to collect it the other end.Ah well the joys of travelling !!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
26 Sep 2009 8:47 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I flew with Monarch, and only returned on Tuesday.  On the outward flight I had a small case on wheels (well within the rules) and unfortuantely the wheels/case were damaged and I had to ditch it.

During the holiday I bought a large holdall type case on wheels.  As I didn't think that it would pass "the test" , everything that I put inside it could be removed in one fell swoop!  I looked at the size of the hole that it had to fit into, thought "No way" and then drew a deep breath!!  No one said anything at any point.  I'm not recommending this, as the chances are that another time someone would say something!! 

I'm just pleased that I got my new case back home - although I won't be risking it again on future flights!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
26 Sep 2009 9:20 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Oh my goodness I used to live in Clacton On Sea too - what a small world ! Happy travels

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
27 Sep 2009 5:06 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

And I used to work in Colchester!!  I go there often as one of my daughters lives there!  

Agree with you that the world is getting smaller, because every time we go on our travels, whereever they may be, we seem to run into a friend or a friend of a friend!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Community Meeting - 0 posts
Do you require assistance in increasing your rental revenue?, we can help - 0 posts
Hi Everybody, hoping to move into new villa in Lorca shortly - 3 posts
Taking on Developers' Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming pool colour - 4 posts
And so the silly season begins - 4 posts
Sky Installation - Altos de Princess Kristina, Duquesa - 3 posts
Spanish Noises - 2 posts
THE CIRCUS IS STILL IN TOWN (FUETE DE PIEDRA ) - 21 posts
BANK VALUATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 13 posts
Contract Quality Speciation - 7 posts
NEW MEMBER - 4 posts
Selling a Property in Spain - 1 posts
Where do I find help to set up a business? - 25 posts
Moving to Spain next year.......Just A few questions! - 48 posts
Wonderful hotels, restaurants, theatres... in COSTA DE LA LUZ!!! A taste for the weekend - 1 posts
A good estate agent in Torreblanca/Fuengirola - 5 posts
Vagamar2 Rafal. Whats going on!!! - 3 posts
El Vegetariano Restaurant Altea - 0 posts
HACIENDA SAN MANUEL - 0 posts
EOS has a car named after it! - 8 posts
Britons retiring abroad - 1 posts
Bumps in the Night. - 3 posts
Hi all Mark & Sandy Introduction - 3 posts
Justin, help required please regarding PMs to new members.. - 73 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x